Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Climbing Forum!!!

Thumbs up Welcome Climbing Forum!!!

Yes!!! Welcome Climbing Forum! Thanks AOD for adding this area of the board!

So... let's hear it. Who are the climbers out there? What have you climbed? What gear do you use? Where do you plan to climb next?
    Lurker.

Sweet! I mostly free climb as it has been all I have ever done but looking back when I was in high school I did some pretty stupid free climbs that I probably wouldn't even attempt. like free climbing at red river gorge in KY with no ropes or pads on the edge of a cliff with a nice fast moving river under you not too smart. I haven't done much climbing this summer since I have been back from Iraq but when we were there me and my buddy did build an Indoor course in the blown up school house we were living in. It wasn't nice by any means but was able to calm my mind and let me escape amongst all the madness going on there.

Our sweet Iraqi rock gym it was alot bigger you just cant see it. We would pull our dirty mattress off of our bed and lay them down in case we fell. Now I am in the process of re building that course in my garage.

Attached Images Attached Images

What qualifies as climbing? Do you have to have a helmet, special shoes and rope? Is walking up a mountain climbing? I have "climbed" Lazy and the Butte a bunch of times does that qualify, or would that be "hiking"?

The intention is that this forum be used for technical climbing and free climbing. I'm not a climber, but I understand that there are lots of niches (so to speak) in climbing, and each has its devotees. If we need to split it into categories later, we can. The types of events LuJon refers to are hikes.

The climbing community is relatively small, but we live in a fantastic state for climbing and we hope to provide an outlet here for them.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Awesome! I guess AOD liked my suggestion! I mostly do alpine climbs in the delta range between Delta Junction and Paxson. I got into ice climbing this past winter and have climbed dragonfly falls, and fox creek off the parks (toprope only so far) as well as a couple spots near valdez. I am pretty much an amatuer. My biggest climb to date has been silvertip in the deltas (9400 ft). For alpine I usually ski in. I got a pair of K2 downhill skis that I don't mind trashing with silveratta bindings. I usually ski and climb in my koflachs. I have some Scarpa AT boots when I am just going out to ski. For ice climbing I use my koflachs with Petzl M12 crampons, and a pair of BD shrike ice tools that I bought used for $75.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What qualifies as climbing? Do you have to have a helmet, special shoes and rope? Is walking up a mountain climbing? I have "climbed" Lazy and the Butte a bunch of times does that qualify, or would that be "hiking"?
    I would say it is a gray area. There is going to be some crossover between forums. I have had "climbs" that could have easily been "hikes" but at some point required some sort of protection. I have also had climbs where I skied up 90 percent of the mountain then only "climbed" the last 10 percent. So I guess those "climbs" could fall under the hiking, or backcountry skiing forums as well. I guess climbing can be defined as gaining elevation with the intent of getting on top of something, whether it be a hill, mountain, cliff,indoor rock wall, or icefall. I say if you are posting about that, then it can go in this forum.

Part of my "job" here is to move posts where they fit best and to be honest the never ending list of specific forums has made that a daunting task! So "technical" climbing only seems reasonable. I assume that this will include rock climbing, ice climbing as well as bouldering and cant see a reason where rappelling or other "decent" methods wouldn't be included as well. So no helmet or ropes and I will put it in the hiking section even if you did "summit" something or other.

My kid climbs trees, does that go here? He has summited a couple in the yard that made his old man about lose his mind! All free climbing too, no wussy ropes.

Part of my "job" here is to move posts where they fit best and to be honest the never ending list of specific forums has made that a daunting task! So "technical" climbing only seems reasonable. I assume that this will include rock climbing, ice climbing as well as bouldering and cant see a reason where rappelling or other "decent" methods wouldn't be included as well. So no helmet or ropes and I will put it in the hiking section even if you did "summit" something or other.

My kid climbs trees, does that go here? He has summited a couple in the yard that made his old man about lose his mind! All free climbing too, no wussy ropes.
    What I'd like to avoid is allowing posts in the climbing forum where it's mom and pop with the kids and dog doing flat top for the day, stuff like that. I have no problem with including free climbing in this; the goal is to attract serious climbers to this area.

Hope it makes sense!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Guess that's why you are a mod and I am not! As far as your kid, I think we need to start a tree climbing forum.

I guess I thought that hiking and climbing kinda went together. Will this be another forum that only has 1-2 people viewing at any one time? Seems like too much splintering-off to me....

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I guess I thought that hiking and climbing kinda went together. Will this be another forum that only has 1-2 people viewing at any one time? Seems like too much splintering-off to me....

Tim
    Well, that's why we grouped climbing and hiking together under "mountaineering".

But the truth is that THIS

Is way different than THIS:

and THIS:

As to the amount of traffic this generates, the only way I know of to find out is to do it. In my experience, climbers are a lot like whitewater kayakers; a breed apart. This site has attracted the attention of some pretty good whitewater folks, so perhaps with time, we'll see some climbers in here too...

-Mike

So no helmet or ropes and I will put it in the hiking section

Dan Osman was one helluva "hiker".

If he had used ropes we wouldn't be talking about him in the past tense

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Dan Osman was one helluva "hiker".

That's how he died! He was using a rope and it snapped on a jump. He survived all the technical climbs, but when it came to jumping, he always used ropes.
    Dan Osman is still, in my book, one of the most amazing climbers that have ever lived.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Awesome! I guess AOD liked my suggestion!
    Yeah!!! I had suggested it a few years ago, too! I am glad the interest is here!!
    Lurker.

I beleive he was doing something similar to this when he died.

I read somewhere that heat caused by the friction of a rope running through a caribiner snapped it.

bsj, nice looking layout.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Hopefully Curt will log in and update us on how his Mountain experience went this summer.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Where do you plan to climb next?
    Tops on my list (aside from The High One) are Iliamna, Drum, and Truuli. Fairly small hills, but I've got my reasons.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I would think it matters not how you get where you are going but instead that you make it at all. For as previously stated climbing is, "gaining elevation with the intent of getting on top of something." I think that is the best way to look at what does and does not qualify as climbing.

Even if you gotta crawl, walk backwards or what have you, just get on top of the **** thing and you have just climbed something.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast