Thread: 24' Almar inboard jet

Default 24' Almar inboard jet

the boat has a 454 in it and a turbo drive 3 stage jet . the problem I have is that it takes about 1/4 mile to get it up on step. the water jet seems to shoot out of the water and won't get the boat going. If I really put the hammer down it will just cavitate and does worse. the boat just plows water. Hole shots are not possible . at 3900 rpm I might get 25 to 30 mph, What Is the problem? any Ideas? P.S. It a 1984 and not ran at all in 20 years. Thanks

Sounds like it is time to go through the jet - My guess is that the impellers are worn and need to be rebuilt to the correct pitch. Pulling the jet apart is a pretty simple job - there aren't many parts in there. Where are you located? I have a jet pulled apart now for some refreshing prior to moose season you could look at if you are in Fairbanks.

I'm in anchorage. I looked at the impellers they look fairly tight in their. but you think they might just need to be re pitched . who does this? Thanks for the info

AK Dimond,

Professional Marine on Dowling/Potter (Between C and Old Seward) should be able to help you get your jet set up correctly. They know their stuff and seem to charge a reasonable rate. Let us know how it works out!

Corn.

Hard to tell with a 3 stage on impeller/stator condition looking thru the tail, but it sounds like you are cavitating and need to work on the impellers some. If you have not changed the engine or the impellers then something else is happening. Should not cavitate coming out of the hole.

If they look tight, they could have been put in backwards, I would ck. that to..Just a thought. i have seen it, and it will do what you are explaining.

The impellers have been sitting on the shaft for over 20 years and the boat has not been in the water for the same amount of time untill two days ago. The impeller may be stuck in place. What is the best way to remove them? Is there a tool to remove them? Thanks

The impellers can be a pain to remove - normally just heating them with a torch is enough to pull them. Any shop that works on them will have a puller. If yours have been in that long it may require a puller. We always put the jet back together with no seize to assure it doesn't stick the next time.

Check out this thread on another site - It is a similar discussion. There is a lot of other good information on here as well.

http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...hp?f=36&t=4144

Quote Originally Posted by AK DIMOND View Post
    The impellers have been sitting on the shaft for over 20 years and the boat has not been in the water for the same amount of time untill two days ago. The impeller may be stuck in place. What is the best way to remove them? Is there a tool to remove them? Thanks

I recommend giving Professional Marine a call, and maybe taking the boat by there for a quick look. If you mess something up trying to force it the parts are expensive. The guys at Professional were always willing to give advice over the phone in the past for me.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I had just noticed that the peice,that the bucket bolts on to has a little bigger stator on it could this be my problem . Sorry I don't know my terms very well. Thanks Dean

I'll try again, the exaust nozzle that I just replaced has a bigger fixed fin thing on it like the hole is a little bigger. Could this be my problem with no power, And getting it on step and slipping Thanks Dean