Thread: Late run RR reds up to 28.2k

Default Late run RR reds up to 28.2k

Minimum is said to be 33K
    Last 2 days have been good counts on the weir.
    up to 28.2k
    "Late" is an understatement.
    Maybe river conditions, low? high? water temp? who knows.

You didn't hear about the two week long kegger they had in Skilak Lake?? I'm surprised they found their way to the Russian after that rager!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Yeah they are all below the weir, found that out on Saturday...holy crap there are a lot of Reds in the River.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thought the RR was closed to reds per emergency order. ?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    it is it close about a week early.

Gotcha! Thanks. At first I read Mudbuddy's report as the fishing is hot...however I read what I wanted to see and not what I could do. OK, looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    TD: when they say it is closed to reds they mean that it is closed to fishing for reds not that they aren't letting anymore reds in the river

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    TD: when they say it is closed to reds they mean that it is closed to fishing for reds not that they aren't letting anymore reds in the river
    HA! THAT'S FUNNY! Now, tell me where to go river fishing ;-) This sun is killing me and I can't keep my mind on working inside.

Ha! They are getting smart, learning the regs =D
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Minimum is said to be 33K
    Not a big deal, but I thought the minimum EG was 30K? We were at 29,452 yesterday, so I'm guessing by today that we already met escapment. Yippi!

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    Not a big deal, but I thought the minimum EG was 30K? We were at 29,452 yesterday, so I'm guessing by today that we already met escapment. Yippi!

From the fish count weir site for Russian:
    Description: The weir is located at the outlet of Lower Russian Lake, about 78 miles from the mouth of the Kenai River. It takes approximately 7 to 10 days for sockeye salmon to travel from the lower Kenai River to the weir depending on water levels. Travel times are estimates and can vary significantly from this depending on conditions. The sustainable escapement goal is 14,000 – 37,000 Early-Run sockeye salmon and 33,000 – 121,000 Late-Run sockeye salmon.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishc...m/FA/main.home

I just moved to Alaska, so I am not familiar with the way things work. My question is that if they do have a late run like this, and they had issued an EO earlier, would they lift the order and allow fishing? Just wondering.

Most likely not, might as well let this last burst of fish get up and spawn. Maybe of there is too much to the point its going to over-populate the stream.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Yea, but with a 80K average....I'd like to see more, I say LEAVE IT CLOSED.........

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    I just moved to Alaska, so I am not familiar with the way things work. My question is that if they do have a late run like this, and they had issued an EO earlier, would they lift the order and allow fishing? Just wondering.
    It is possible if the total number of fish returning was shifted a couple weeks earlier. They did exactly that on the Kenai with the early king run. Fishing was put to a total stop for about a week. Once the numbers began to build, they re-opened the river. It's hard to say if that was the right decision. Fish and Game admitted that numbers were biased high due to the sockeye return and possible sonar miscalibration. Reports from the guides were not that great either. An EO to re-open the Russian in this case was not an option. The Russian usually closes on 20 August every year anyway, and they only closed it a week before that. Now the fish are starting to slowly make their way up to the spawning grounds. They would not issue an EO to open the river after the normal 20 August closure. Clear as mud?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    From the fish count weir site for Russian:
    Description: The weir is located at the outlet of Lower Russian Lake, about 78 miles from the mouth of the Kenai River. It takes approximately 7 to 10 days for sockeye salmon to travel from the lower Kenai River to the weir depending on water levels. Travel times are estimates and can vary significantly from this depending on conditions. The sustainable escapement goal is 14,000 – 37,000 Early-Run sockeye salmon and 33,000 – 121,000 Late-Run sockeye salmon.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishc...m/FA/main.home
    I think the goal numbers listed on ADFG's count site are a misprint....

From the EO 2-RS-1-43-10 issued August 10, 2010: "Justification: The late-run Russian River sockeye salmon spawning escapement goal is 30,000 to 110,000 fish."

From the 2010 Russian River Sockeye Management Plan: "The escapement goal for the late-run stock is 30,000 to 110,000 fish past the weir."

Not a big deal. I think by today we've met the 30,000 goal.

I think the goal numbers listed on ADFG's count site are a misprint....

From the EO 2-RS-1-43-10 issued August 10, 2010: "Justification: The late-run Russian River sockeye salmon spawning escapement goal is 30,000 to 110,000 fish."

From the 2010 Russian River Sockeye Management Plan: "The escapement goal for the late-run stock is 30,000 to 110,000 fish past the weir."

Not a big deal. I think by today we've met the 30,000 goal.
    Good find,
    Good info
    The more that make it now the better. 4 years from now we will really care. Big deal then.

Maybe F&G can carry some up the falls
    I volunteer to help

We could just let a couple guys from oregon out in the stream with dipnets and let them chase the fish up through the wier

Now that is a quality Idea right there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We could just let a couple guys from oregon out in the stream with dipnets and let them chase the fish up through the wier
    Ha! I'll lend them my dipnet.