Thread: Late Sept Salmon- Whittier or Seward?

Default Late Sept Salmon- Whittier or Seward?

Planning to take a boat out at the end of September, we're looking at either Seward or Whittier, optimally for salmon. One place better than the other in late Sept? Assuming some silvers and kings will be around both places, I'm more familiar with Seward. Is there something better to go after this time of year? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Salmon fishing will be slow by then but the halibut fishing should still be good. I would disregard Seward in that time-frame...the weather/water gets bad and there isn`t the usual traffic so help is a long way off. I was stuck in Agnes for a few days last year...15-18' between Pony and Rugged!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Yeah, that's a sketchy time of year to be out boating, and if you're planning on a charter you might want to think twice since most of them will have the season already wrapped. Insurance rates for charter boats goes through the roof once Sept. starts and the weather gets worse and more unpredictable from what I've heard.

Whittier often has some excellent shore fishing for silvers at that time of year, however. It's one of my favorite places to go, since most people are done fishing for the year and don't want to brave the rain/wind/cold weather that is pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by RTinAK View Post
    Planning to take a boat out at the end of September, we're looking at either Seward or Whittier, optimally for salmon. One place better than the other in late Sept? Assuming some silvers and kings will be around both places, I'm more familiar with Seward. Is there something better to go after this time of year? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Have you thought about Homer? There is some great "winter king" fishing to be had ALL year long (we caught a 15 pounder today) and the weather can be great. I fished about 2 or 3 times per week all winter long last year. I would be happy to let you know the best places to try and the way I catch them if you want to know.

Coho slayer---my season is "365 day a year" and my insurance is yearly and doesn't change depending on the season. Not sure where you heard that one, but it's not correct.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I suggest that you look into a Kenai River silver charter. You will most likley get to fish rainbows as well, and this silver run goes until they close it for fishing at the end of October. Since it is on the river and not in the ocean, you don't have the risk of a weather day and not being able to go out. The middle section of the river (Bings to Skilak) would be my choice where to go, and it will be beautiful this time of year.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Have you thought about Homer? There is some great "winter king" fishing to be had ALL year long (we caught a 15 pounder today) and the weather can be great. I fished about 2 or 3 times per week all winter long last year. I would be happy to let you know the best places to try and the way I catch them if you want to know.

Coho slayer---my season is "365 day a year" and my insurance is yearly and doesn't change depending on the season. Not sure where you heard that one, but it's not correct.
    Actually, a charter boat skipper in Whittier told me that. I wondered if he was making excuses. Thanks for the clarification.

It depends on the boat insurance policy. I once had a policy with a "layout period". During that time if I wanted to be on the water I paid extra. I could only be on the water from May 1st. until Dec. 1st. With my new company, and policy, I can be on the water year round.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Whittier should still hold silvers, I try and go late in the year every year, never know may see a deer or two, never have but sure could. Since Seward stopped stocking fry in the harbor or where ever they released them at for the Derby you'd have to go out side the bay.
    Some will say there are no Silvers where I fish but thats cool too, my coolers full in Sept, next trip 11th & 18th weekends.

Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like we'll be launching out of Whittier. To clarify, I'm my own captain on a rental boat from here on Fort Richardson. Had a great time taking the family out in Seward on the same boat I'll be renting later in Sept; family won't be on this trip since the weather will be a little sketchier. If the wx is crap will stick in close, I learned not to confuse enthusiasm with capability a long time ago.

If all is normal wx wise Wells Passage should be the worst of it. Just remember that area has a lot confused seas and can get ugly....if it`s calling for more than 3' stay home.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff