Thread: When is the best time for fishing silvers in Kodiak

Default When is the best time for fishing silvers in Kodiak

Thinking about doing a trip to Kodiak for silvers. Probably gonna fish the Buskin and other road system creeks. Anybody know what would be the best time to go? Looking at the charts, it looks like the end of Sept., but I'm looking for first hand knowledge. Anybody fish Kodiak for silvers? Also, if you have any suggestions as to what kind of fishing to do, whether using spinners, flies, or jigs, that would be appreciated also... Thanks

Was there last year & did well 9/11-9/17. I would look @ starting around the 10-12th of Sept. + a few days. Rivers upstream of the highway open up starting the 16th.

hey col. we were there too at that time we did well with roe headed back on the 18th this year looking to head to saltry this year

as soon as you can fish up river of the bridges, usually around 15/16th of SEP area. Main holes on buskin and walk the smaller rivers, lots of fish, less people, and even more bears though, wish I was going, cant stand the Anchorage fishing.

Default Fish4dinner

Headed back myself on the 11th-17th, hope this year turns out well. With all the runs being late around the state who knows.
    Did the Saltery thing last year and was fun but not as many fish I would of hoped. Great ride out which takes about 1hr 20mins if you are comfortable with a quad, a bit longer for rookies. IMO I would not go again, just can't justify the $300. Going on a butt trip instead.
    I mainly flyfish go really enjoyed Salonie, Amer & Olds, but did fish eggs when the rains came in on the 16th last year

bought a suziki samuri for $1600 last year left it our friends place. ya i coundnt justify $300 either for 1 trip back to saltry. then there is 3 of us that make $900. sorry for hijacking the fourm. check the hole right below the olds river bridge have fun leave some for us

Well, since some things came up, I'm gonna have to push my trip towards the end of Sept. I hope there will be fish still there then... I did this trip a few years ago and got there a little too early. I believe it was the weekend the road system streams opened up. Saw quite a few fish, but nothing wanted to bite. Did have an encounter with a small brown bear. You know they tell you not to put your backpack on the ground. Well, guess what, there's a reason for that! Brown bear beelined for my pack and proceeded to pounce on it, shake it like a rag doll and eventually got tired of it and threw it in the river... He eyed me and my partner and a couple of other people that were fishing in that spot. He didn't look angry or anything, but I think he wanted a hand out. We yelled and he finally slowly walked off. He definately wasn't scared of us. It was a good trip, even though we only caught a couple of fish...

I'll be fishing Kodiak on Sep 10-13. The tides look great and I had heard this was about the perfect time, but some of the comments in this thread seem to suggest I'll be there too early or won't be able to fish prime water (?). My understanding is that the beaches, estuaries and lower reaches of all of the streams are open, but some are closed to fishing above the highway, correct? My understanding is that this only applies to streams that discharge into Chiniak Bay (Olds, American, ??), so not all streams fall under this rule. I planned on fishing some of the big slow pools/lakes with my float tube (in addition to beach and river fishing), so I presume I'll have to go to the Pasagshak (which is outside of the Chiniak) or Buskin (which is exempt from this rule)? What about Monashka or Pillar Creek?

So, I guess I'm asking that if you were going to Kodiak for the first time to fish cohos by yourself before the streams open above the highway, what would be your plan of attack? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Correction on the streams in that it also effects Salonie, Russian & Sargent + the Amer & Olds. The good thing about the Amer & Olds are the mouth is quite a distance from the roads unlike the others. I had no problem picking up fish and there was always soaking eggs in the Buskin. I always managed to get my 2 easily and C&R another 8-10 with the bonus of a few chums and all the pinks you wanted.
    I go solo, so I'm not that inclined to go headed to far back even when they open above the highway.
    If I had my pick of dates I would go around the 13-14 for a week, unfortanetly work sometimes tells me what a can do. Be there on 9/11 hoping to try the mouth & beaches a little more this year

My wife is catching them right now... She caught the first one a week or two ago. I will be back to fill the freezer in a couple of weeks. Should be thick by then. They were last year. The run itself is pretty good and lasts a while (as late as mid October). Last year we did very good!!

Okisutch: Fish any holes. Up or down from the bridges doesn't seem to matter. Heck, most of the fish I caught were at the bridges...

2nd that, I loved to pound them fresh from the salt!!!

Heading there the Sept 2nd...for 5 days on the saltwater...I can at least give you a report on that action.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Good advice given. For even more clarity, take the time to stop in ADF&G offices in downtown Kodiak for precise information and advice. You should find them very helpful. If you are a tube fisherman and hit the pond, enjoy the ride...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"