Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black wolf while caribou hunting

Default Black wolf while caribou hunting

Me and three buddies went caribou hunting last week. on the first morning up...i woke up around six thirty and climbed up on a rock to glass the surrounding high country. after about ten minutes i glassed a small herd of about ten or twelve boo hightailin up the valley in front of us out about a mile and a half. i ran back and got my buddy james but by the time we got back to the rock the boo were gone. i was showing them where they came out from when i was like...HOLY SH**! theres a black wolf coming up....it was chasing after them boo. we watched him till he got up to a spine of rocks where the boo went over...then he just laid down and hung out. i went back over to camp...bout three hundred yards away...to get my buddy jeremiah, and while i was gone...james started sneaking down to the spine of rocks. as soon as jeremiah and i got back up on top...that black wolf started howling. jeremiah told me that he had called in a couple wolves before by howling at them.....so he started howling back. imediately that wolf started heading our way. not knowing where james had gone....or if he even could see the wolf, jeremiah headed down the hill to try and intercept him...howling every couple minutes to keep the wolf coming. unbeknownst to us, james was set up perfectly behind a rock and that wolf passed in front of him at about 150 yrds....one shot with his .338 and the wolf was down.

after four days of super hot weather and only seeing a few cows around (bulls only in our area) altho we did get a real nice fat black bear feeding in a blue berry patch...we called it quits and headed out. about a mile from camp on the way out...we came over a rise and there was ANOTHER black wolf standing in the trail at 355 yards....jeremiah shot him thru the leg and when he got back up i shot him in the neck....i couldnt beleive it. TWO black wolves within a mile of each other! no boo but real fun and exciting trip.

They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

im trying to figure out how to upload them......

Click on your profile and there is a place to set up an album and load them there. To post them in a thread just open the picture in the album and you will see some code below it that starts with [img] just copy it and paste it in the quick reply box like you were responding to the thread. When you hit the post button it will display the pic.

ok...figured it out...pics at bottom of original post....

Man that is impressive!! To think positive when you go back next year there will be about 65 more bou up there than there would have been so you just increased your odds a good bit! While it doesn't go far toward feeding the family taking a wolf is way more exciting than a bou!

I don't think I'd complain about my bou hunt turning into a predator hunt with those kind of results. Too cool. Congrats on the wolves and bear!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's awesome Rawdog. Congrats!!!

Nice. Saved yourself some bou for next year.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

TWO thumbs up!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up

Two wolfs and a bear,what more could you ask for in a hunt.Good job on the predator control!

What a hunt! I'm with the rest of them, I would call that a success!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I am with everyone else that is one successful hunt!!!! Congrats to you and your hunting partners.

thanks guys...ya we trap in that area...so it would have been nice to get them wolves in the winter when the fur was prime...however....im all about saving the baby moose and caribou......

two thumbs from here
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

That fur looks pretty nice to me, Great Job there, what a fun hunt that musta been
    Howlin' em in.... Sounds about as Cool as it gets
    Congrats
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

As nice a wolf as I've ever seen dead or alive
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nothing like wolf tenderloins on the grill. Oh and invite a couple of Sierra Club members over. Good job you guys!

Hey Rawdog, you mentioned trapping in winter and fur not quite as prime now, real hot weather, etc.
    I'm wondering by your experience, was the fur on those wolves way thinner or rubbed out, natty etc. than in winter?

Like should I hold off hunting wolf this time of year because of it? I'm down here on the coast of Ak Peninsula tho and it hasn't been above 50F all summer, and windy as all get out, so maybe they stay thicker down here? I shot a fox on the way west Aleutians once that had fur that was essentially worthless. Saving Canada Goose tho was a salvageable idea back then, out there.

Just curious what you know and would say to a guy thinking of targeting wolf for a few days down here in mid Sept.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great looking wolves! Congratulations all the way around! I just they could be harvested in ID, MT, and WY!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast