Thread: Grizzly hunting

Default Grizzly hunting

Greetings, I'm new to this web site. From Florida and am planning a grizzly hunt some time next spring. Was wondering what would be better. Prince William Sound or the Haines area. I've been told both have great potential but believe one is going to cost way more than the other. Any idea's or recommendations on transporters or guides? What caliber would be best for shooting a big bear. This is going to be a once in a life time trip and want to do it right.

The caliber is secondary to your ability to shoot it accurately. The biggest gun that you can shoot accurately would be a good start.

I've shot a couple of Brownbears with my .30-06 and it was no problem at all. I shoot a .375 Ruger now but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with the '06.

150 grain Barnes X bullet in .30-06 did fine. I'd recommend at least 180 grains though.
    Like Lujon said, being able to shoot proficently is the biggest key.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

big bears, haines isn't where i'd start looking for big bears, PWS has some, but kodiak and the ak pen seems to have a pile more.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Trust that guy. And if it were me I would hire him as your guide! Do a search on here for some of his clients bears!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by I8agator View Post
    Greetings, I'm new to this web site. From Florida and am planning a grizzly hunt some time next spring. Was wondering what would be better. Prince William Sound or the Haines area. I've been told both have great potential but believe one is going to cost way more than the other. Any idea's or recommendations on transporters or guides? What caliber would be best for shooting a big bear. This is going to be a once in a life time trip and want to do it right.
    I'd listen to BRNWBR about location. Finding a BIG bear is more difficult than the act of killing him. Choosing the proper guide is easily your most difficult decision. So far as caliber/cartridge always remember that where you hit them is infinitely more important than with what you hit them. I've at least one other thought; I'd spend more than a few months planning a once-in-a-lifetime trip. You should expect any guide worth his mettle is already booked for at least the coming spring season, quite possibly more. Of course cancellations happen that may provide open dates, but I'd postpone the trip a year or more to book with the guide of my choice.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks, this is all good info, I have a 7mm mag as well as the `06. I was thinking of going bigger at the suggestion of several family members, but if the `06 is good, why spend the extra money. Hows the bear population in Dillingham???

This will give you an idea of success. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm
    Of the 2 calibers, the 30.06 with at least 180 grain bullets would be the better one. Dillingham is in 17 C, which had a decent success rate. Lately out there it seems that if you really want a bear, there's no shortage.

Thanks, this is all good info, I have a 7mm mag as well as the `06. I was thinking of going bigger at the suggestion of several family members, but if the `06 is good, why spend the extra money. Hows the bear population in Dillingham???
    Bigger is better, but the 7mm & '06 are big enough. A bear hit well from a proper .284 or .308 bullet has no choice but to die, and to die right quickly.

There are quite a few bears in Unit 17 (A,B,&C), hence the 1 bear every regulatory year bag limit. Finding a bear is not a problem, but the right bear is more of a task. Bears in the 25-26 inch range are common enough, and I know of several bears that are greater than 27 & 8/16 taken in the last year or two by locals. Taking a bear that will honestly square 8 1/2+ is a reasonable goal in Unit 17 IMO&E.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Figure out what kind of hunt you want; what size bear you want to harvest; then start looking for a guide. Don'''t "worry" about what "..would be [the] best for shooting a big bear."] Much of that will depend on the guide. The guide will (at least should) help you in your selection of caliber and rifle.
    Best of luck
    Joe (Ak)

I have never hunted with the outfit but I have heard great things about AAA outfitters. I think they are out of the Alaska Pen. You might try contacting them. I would agree with what wantj43 said about figuring out what type of bear you really want. Then figure out what guide you want to go with. They will help you with everything else. In a way their life and your life depend on one another once you get out there hunting. If you are planning for next spring you need to start making calls as most people are probably getting booked full.