Thread: Homer/Whittier Halibut late august

Default Homer/Whittier Halibut late august

how is the halibut fishing on the charters this late in aug? i have some family up and they are interested in catching some chickens on a half day charter...any help would be great.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I don't recommend Whitter for halibut charter unless you can do a full day. Seward perhaps is better option.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

As you requested in your original post, Homer has many 1/2 day charters, and the fishing is still plenty good. There are plenty of guys who have spots kinda close in that produce. There's a couple guys on this forum ("Muttley Crew Fishing" and "Cliffhanger") that might be able to help with that or know someone who can.

One thing I've noticed over the last few years; what used to be "chickens" now seem to be "nice fish", and today's "chicken" was a released "dink" not that many years ago. Today's released dink...... well we don't need to go there. I'm not trying to poke any sticks or highjack you're tread, just lamenting what once was.

There are still plenty of fish out there to catch, and plenty of NICE fish. Homer is where you should go. The number of Halibut in Homer is as good as its ever been, but the fish aren't growing quite as fast as they normally did years ago. There was an article in ADN about earlier this summer.

You might look up Capt. Tony on the Falcon or Capt. Mike on the Beausoleil. They both know their stuff and will get you on some good fish, weather provided is good.

Been to Homer three times this summer and fishing has been real good each trip. Caught one over 100#, a couple over 70 and plenty over 40.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I couldn't agree more "pike palace". I fish K-Bay all the time and have had a fantastic season, with a lot of nice fish caught. I was just making a verbal observation of what some folks are classifying their fish as. It was a comment better left out of this thread and I apologize to the OP for including it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I couldn't agree more "pike palace". I fish K-Bay all the time and have had a fantastic season, with a lot of nice fish caught. I was just making a verbal observation of what some folks are classifying their fish as. It was a comment better left out of this thread and I apologize to the OP for including it here.
    No hard feelings. I notice the same thing. Many people call an 18# fish a "nice one". A 25# or better is a solid, good eating fish in my book.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

BRWNBR, not trying to hijack but I am wondering the same thing. There is 2 of us fresh out of the sandbox and need to put some butt's in the freezer, plus 1 more that just dident get out this year, was looking at the end of Aug or the first of Sep. Would love to do an overnighter for a double limit.

How do I find the above mentioned boats/charters?

Please PM me. Thank you