Thread: Koyukuk - who is going?

Default Koyukuk - who is going?

The time is right around the corner now who is heading down river now that the planning is done? After plowing over the lists repeatedly and carving every ounce of weight that I can out, I think the plan is finalized. Leaving Fairbanks on 9/2/10 with my DM828 in hand and just curious who we may encounter from AOD along the way. After a lot of years hunting down that direction it the first time I actually have a drawing tag - Looking for a bigger moose is a new concept rather than shooting the first one I see - I am struggling with the idea of possibly passing one up -

Can't wait to hear the hunt report and see the pics of the monster you pull out of there! Were you able to shed some pounds?

We will be heading down on the 15th, as my wife has DM830!....sould be a good time!

we arent going all the way to the Koyukuk, we have DM802 tags, we will be heading down the river around the 11th-12th

Both me and the wife drew the early tag as well. We will be at our camping spot on the 4th ready to go. Raven, shoot me a PM if you want and I'll tell ya were we'll be so if we do cross paths we can say hi and maybe even give a hand if needed.

wish i was plans didnt work out maybe one year good luck

Dropped about 1000 pounds in gear, people, & dogs from my last fishing trip. I will have less gas on board for the trip back than I was carrying to go fishing as well. I still haven't added any horsepower to the engine so it could be close on weight coming out, depends on the success or lack of. The only luxury that I haven't eliminated for the trip out is the (chainsaw, capstan, and rope) 63 pounds worth. After using it a couple times I sure don't want to go with out it, getting too old for the brawn over brain approach. Not skimping going in and we will eat good - coming out is the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Can't wait to hear the hunt report and see the pics of the monster you pull out of there! Were you able to shed some pounds?

PM Sent your way - Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Both me and the wife drew the early tag as well. We will be at our camping spot on the 4th ready to go. Raven, shoot me a PM if you want and I'll tell ya were we'll be so if we do cross paths we can say hi and maybe even give a hand if needed.

We drew DM817 which is below Koyukuk. We'll be there 15-25th.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

We will be heading out on the 13th from Wasilla with my DM830 tag. Our third Yukon trip in as many years and the first with a tag so I am excited. I Just finished installing new seals, bearings and a freshly tuned and improved impeller in my pump, so hopefully no problems this year. We have had our fill, and look forward to an event free trip. Good luck to all the hunters and do not forget the sat phone, you never know when you will need it.
    Will

I have an 830 tag and will leave from Galena with my son in law and Charlie Green from Galena on the 15th. I can't wait. It will be my first time on the Koyukuk and am looking for a big bull. I wish everyone a safe and successful trip. If you see an old 6'5" teacher on the river, stop by and say hi!

Default Have fun down there

I won't make it that far this year as I drew a permit on the Novi. We'll go back to my old haunts there and look around.
    The man that has been on so many hunts with us won't make it this year. His wife spent the whole summer fighting cancer, and they'll head south the same day we leave for the Yukon. I grew up next to him and his family, and for all intents and purposes, he is my father, just not by blood. We'll miss him something awful. I do get to hunt with his eldest son, my brother, so that is a good thing.
    But, God willing, we'll all be together next year. He, his sons, their adult kids, and me and my boy and girl. I'd hate to think all of the memories of hunting with him and them are in the past, and not the future.
    You folks take care on the Koyukuk. Travel safe, and leave an old stinky bull down there for me for next year, will ya?
    ARR

raven have a good trip, I wont be going down there, even though I have the m830 tag, get some pics to show me what i missed! hope you find a big one. will post to show you what I ended up with out south of the brooks,man hope I dont end up empty handed this year?

Me and Steve will be heading out from the bridge on the 1st for dm828 wow lots of logistics but I think its all worked out and the boat is ready to go. Hoping to see you out there Rambling Raven, GA redneck. Rambling thanks for mentoring me much appreciated. Were looking for a 55 plus or bust.

Tim
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Default koyukuk

Me and Steve will be heading out from the bridge on the 1st for dm828 wow lots of logistics but I think its all worked out and the boat is ready to go. Hoping to see you out there Rambling Raven, GA redneck. Rambling thanks for mentoring me much appreciated. Were looking for a 55 plus or bust.

Tim
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

With DM830 permit in hand this will be my first trip. Planning to launch at Yukon Bridge on the 14th. I'm very flexible on departure time so we may go earlier. Planning on starting back the 26th ish. My river boat has been on a serious diet with a new floor going in tomorrow.

Looks like a few that frequent the forum will be in the area - Good luck to all of you and be safe!

GAredneck - I know the area you will be in so there is a good chance we will stop in for a chat if all goes well.

Big27 - You should be upriver long before us so I will be on the lookout for your rig - it shouldn't be to hard to recognize.

Ak River Rat - Good luck up the Novi - look forward to hearing how you did - I haven't been up that way in quite a few years.

To those of you hunting the later seasons - hopefully luck will have us long gone before you get up river so good luck to you.

Can't wait till the 5th!!!!

Big27 and RR, I'll see ya at the mouth of the river or up it just a bit. We'll be the ones with the two inflatables, one blue Zodiac w/outboard and the other is a black full raft. Stop by and say hi/bs. Be safe on your trips down.

May the Moose gods be good to us all this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!