Thread: De-stinking a bilge

Default De-stinking a bilge

In spite of my bilge rinsing after each trip I must have gotten some fish yuck in my bilge and it was starting to stinkm and I mean gag-a-maggot kind of stink.

I tried plugging the drain hole and filling it up with just water and then draining but that didnt do anything, and I didnt want to run straight bleach in there because its so reactive it'll eat rubber hoses, so I got a small tub of Oxy Clean laundry powder, mixed half of the small tub (about 3 or 4 cups worth) into a 5 gallon bucket of water, poured it into the bilge, and then filled up the entire bilge with water.

I let the Oxy Clean/water sit for about 4 hours and then drained it, refilled it again this time with a couple cups of mineral oil to re-lubricate anything that could need it and drained the bilge again.

Worked like a champ, my bilge is de-stunk.

Anybody else use Oxy Clean to de-stink their boat?
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I used simple green. But quite honestly, even with all the fish blood and slime, I never had a stink issue. Just flushed it out. That is, until I lost a shrimp into the bilge and MAN! A week later, I crawled on the boat and almost lost my lunch. No matter how much I rinsed, I could not get rid of the smell. So finally, I put my dog in the boat (she's a lab) and she went straight for it to where she couldn't quite reach it. I removed the shrimp and sprayed it down with simple green and all was well again. The dog really wanted that shrimp.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I used baking soda solution to de-stink my boat a few years back after a lot of shrimp juice made it to the bilge area. It worked perfectly.

I use soft scrub. The small amount of bleach does a great job of cleaning the decks and the bilge!

I use a jar of Real-Lemon. It's lemon juice and mix it with a bit of water. I put the plug in add a couple jars of lemon juice and some water and let it sit in their overnight. It's worked good and when I pull the plug it is something that can run out on the ground and I don't have to worry about the dog or grandkids getting something bad on them.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I use soft scrub. The small amount of bleach does a great job of cleaning the decks and the bilge!
    I've found soft scrub to be the go-to cleaner for my boat, really gets all kinds of stains out.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am