Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time Keani Bows on a fly rod - and a question

Default First time Keani Bows on a fly rod - and a question

Last weekend was great. Floated and camped. First time catching 'bows on a fly rod. It was a blast! The fish were very skinny, however...can't wait until they are all full of eggs and FAT.

This fish looks 'off' to me, not sure why. Almost like a searun cutthroat...hah!

So my questions is this; Do you guys use strike indicators when fishing the Kenai? Any tips on how to use them....and how do you know how far up the line to put them??
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    Last weekend was great. Floated and camped. First time catching 'bows on a fly rod. It was a blast! The fish were very skinny, however...can't wait until they are all full of eggs and FAT.

This fish looks 'off' to me, not sure why. Almost like a searun cutthroat...hah!

So my questions is this; Do you guys use strike indicators when fishing the Kenai? Any tips on how to use them....and how do you know how far up the line to put them??
    I use them, I peg 2 corkies that are bright.... one med below a large corkie with tooth pics, I place the corkies where my leader and fly line meet with a 10 ft leader for the Kenai.

I used to peg corkies, these suckers are a much more user friendly alternative imo.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

try not removing the bows from the water if you can Akcrimson take a picture half way into the water.

Almost a new record for ethics police arrival on the scene.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Used to fish with them but now go without. I'd say the learning curve is a wee bit longer without as it's mostly all feel versus visual as you'll experience with an indicator. I tried an indicator last fall out of curiosity and missed a lot more fish than I do without. It seems as if they create a little lag between strike and hook-up, but that's my opinion. Crimp your barbs, take pictures and experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Nice! Her first Wild Kenai Rainbow and someone needs to shoot here down. Good call Hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

AkCrimson, awesome photos man. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys had a great float.

As for the Thingamabobbers Hippie suggests, they are great. I like the 1" myself, but the 3/4" seem quite popular. You can buy them locally at most fly shops I would hope, but if not Cabelas sells them. Also on Alaska Flyfishing Goods website. Great place to buy flies from if you have not seen it.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sportsmans in wasilla has them. And im shure mossys and 3 rivers would too.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    Nice! Her first Wild Kenai Rainbow and someone needs to shoot here down. Good call Hippie.
    People that don't get educated will never know bc they don't know better. I agree that better at h and release could have been practiced. Although it's their first time so this is a perfect opportunity to say something. And by no means is it putting someone down.
    You guys caught great fish I am glad your first experience with the kenai was a good one. Those are some good looking fish!! Good job

Now that you guys have had your first taste of the the kenai I am sure you are hooked and really enjoyed your trip. Something that will help protect the resource that we all love is to practice good catch and release.
    Some tips to get you headed in the right direction are:
    Keep the fish over the water or rubber net to take pictures.
    Try to avoid keeping them out if the water for very long at all. Take the pic then let them breathe.
    Use barbless hooks.
    Use a rod weight that suits the fish u are fishing.
    Try to keep your hand out of the fishes gills.
    Wet your hands before handling the fish.

Use the de-hooker tool to release fish without having to handle them.
    Try to use the smallest hooks you can for whatever you are fishing. Ex. Size 10 for beads ect.

Just thought I would try to help educate. Most ethical fisherman practice these techniques. I hope this helps.

I also like indicators. Thingamobobers are great. They cast very easy and drift great. You want to adjust your indicator for the water you are fishing. If you are fishing a king bed you will be fishing deep water so you will want to adjust your indicator accordingly.

Well once again great fish for your first time. Hope you take the tips as constructive criticism and not putting you down.

Fish on

I was going to give you a cyber reaming as you have a similar pic as your avatar

However, after reading your post twice, I found myself agreeing with you. Especially the part about the hands in the gills. Also looks like the fish took a gravel bath. I have done it myself, got a few shots of myself and my wife with rocks and crud on the fish. Guilty as anyone, but trying to improve on these aspects in recent years. As with the OP I suspect, certainly the case with the majority of flyfisherman/women, it is a lack of understanding that is to blame. Sure as hell ain't a desire to hurt the fish. Just a lack of knowing better. So was the case with me at any rate.

The single biggest thing that most folks (including myself) can do to improve how they handle fish is to buy a net. This along with good handling practices would go a long way for most guys/gals on the river. Unlike the big boat nets, I got one I can wear on my back. I like to float remote rivers and flying with a 5' net isn't high on my list of priorities.

Anyone interested in a good net, check out the Wachter nets below. The quality and craftsmanship is impressive. Fair price for such a high quality product. Takes 2-3 weeks if you order a custom net. Initials on the side, logos, scrimshaw, etc.. If you just want a nice net with the molded netting, less time I suspect.

I bought a Master Guide C&R Plus (Hoop - 9" x 19" Overall - 26"). Big enough to hold most fish and small enough to carry on the back of my vest. Be sure to get the clear rubber molding net, maybe $20 extra, but well worth it.

http://www.wachternets.com/guide_nets.htm

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I didn't wanna take away from her accomplishment so....

...I let her enjoy it......

Ditto the good quality net.

Great picture man. Save that on a disc or two. Will be worth alot to you in 20 years.

Awesome pics on this thread. I think the fish police have covered the handling well and will not add to it.

Thingamaboobers. Mossy's does have them. I picked some up yesterday and will give them a shot for the first time today. I have been a corkie pegger and like the ease of the the thingys.

I just bought a new net. Nothing wrong with my old one except I left it on last chance island last week. After getting the drift boat I had to learn netting all over again. A little different when your in the boat. I bought another rubber net of course but this handle will extend 3 more feet to get to the fish easier. 16' drift boat. 10 foot fly rod, 10 feet of leader makes for some interesting netting. This should be way easier on the fishes.

Heading out at 6am today for another float.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Cool. The new net will really come in handy when you buy your centerpinning outfit

Thanks guys. We did do our best to keep the fish out of the water a short time. We didn't have a proper net so we didn't bring one. And we actually didn't think we would be fishing for trout. I'll make a point to get a good net before we go out again.

I absolutely love and respect these gorgeous fish, so the advice will be taken to heart. And I must say, I REALLY appreciate tactfully given advice! =) Sorry if I upset anyone.

The thingamabobbers were what grabbed my attention the first time. I've used cork in the past and was not a fan. Hopefully I can get the hang of these things! Too bad the boyfriend wants to go to the fair this weekend, I want to FISH!
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

[QUOTE=danattherock;793438]I was going to give you a cyber reaming as you have a similar pic as your avatar

If you would look at the picture dan you can see that in slayintrout's avatar pic he is holding the fish above water, not mud or dirt/gravel bar. I know this for a fact cuz im the one who took the picture. As for the rest of what he is saying, there is no harm in trying to educate someone new to fishing on the correct way to practice catch and release. He is not being an a-hole about it at all but giving tips/pointers.

As for the pictures, awesome! Those are some very nice fish for your first time. Some people who fish the upper regularly aren't fortunate enough to catch that many trout at that size (chuck/ryan) so great job.
    Last edited by fishak24; 08-24-2010 at 10:51. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    Too bad the boyfriend wants to go to the fair this weekend, I want to FISH!
    Well, tell that boyfriend to enjoy the Ferris Wheel and the giant cabbages, then grab your gear and go fishing.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Who ever said the OP was new to fishing? According to the thread title, this is the first time catching Kenai rainbows on a fly rod, but it's pretty clear they've caught a few fish in their day.

Nice job AKCrimson. It's time to go fishin...tell the boyfriend he can get a funnel cake some other time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Who ever said the OP was new to fishing? According to the thread title, this is the first time catching Kenai rainbows on a fly rod, but it's pretty clear they've caught a few fish in their day.

Nice job AKCrimson. It's time to go fishin...tell the boyfriend he can get a funnel cake some other time!!
    wow sorry my wording wasn't specific. I meant trout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast