Thread: preserving velvet

Default preserving velvet

I got a small bou this weekend and was going to do a European mount. What is the best way to preserve the velvet? The tips of the antlers are still soft so I don't want to scrap off the velvet.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

For deer I have always used denatured alcohol. I put them in a contractors garbage bag with1/2 gallon DA. I then put a few more bags around it just to be safe, every day turn the bag untillyou feel everything is getting covered. After 2 weeks take the rak out and place a few heat lamps on it. The DA replaces the water in the cells of the velvet and evaporates off qwick so there is no time for it to rot. I have a deer that I did for my wife 10yrs ago and it looks the same as when she shot it.

THe hard part you are going to have is cleaning the sckull without ruining the velvet. I am sure there must be a way.

A great way to do it is to put it in the freezer and when it starts getting cold outside (-30 or colder) bring it inside and thaw it out and then take outside and leave for a week. We shot big bulls one Aug. and got them in the freezer and then brought them out and left all winter (it gets -50 to -60 here). Preserved the velvet great!

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I got a small bou this weekend and was going to do a European mount. What is the best way to preserve the velvet? The tips of the antlers are still soft so I don't want to scrap off the velvet.
    Only real good way to do is drill a very small pilot hole in pedicle and base of antler. Cut off antler under the burr and freeze dry or chemically preserve the velvet. clean skull with desired method and when both are done reattach the antlers boring out the pilot hole and either epoxy a rod or screw. Any other method of leaving antlers attached will ruin the velvet even if it is preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    The best way is to go to the North slope, strap them on your head, and run around the tundra till they dry out!

I have shot a couple caribou in velvet. I use a needle and poke the tips of the antlers many (and many more) times and flip them to allow the blood to "drip out". I also slowly massage the antlers from the base to the tips to squeeze the remaining blood from the velvet. I then inject velvet preserve near the bases and again squeeze the fluid out thru the tips. Sometimes the fluid with flow out through the skull as well. The key is to remove the blood from the antlers. Keep injecting velvet preserve until all the blood has been remove. Allow to dry and set and then lightly brush the outside with the velvet preserve. Process works for me. However; I have always cut the antlers off the skull and have never tried a european mount......

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    The best way is to go to the North slope, strap them on your head, and run around the tundra till they dry out!
    Thanks, I'll try that out. I know where you are moose hunting.....
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine