Thread: moose antlers

Default moose antlers

This year I drew a Dulbi river moose permit (DM812). So with any luck I will be Hauling out some antlers this year on the struts of my super cub. In the past I have straped on everything from Rifle cases, snowshoes, skis and Caribou antlers. And can honestly say I didnt even notice they were there as far as flight cariteristics. I sure woul like some tips and info on what to expect from those that have carried moose antlers lashed to their struts.

Quote Originally Posted by CUBDRVR View Post
    This year I drew a Dulbi river moose permit (DM812). So with any luck I will be Hauling out some antlers this year on the struts of my super cub. In the past I have straped on everything from Rifle cases, snowshoes, skis and Caribou antlers. And can honestly say I didnt even notice they were there as far as flight cariteristics. I sure woul like some tips and info on what to expect from those that have carried moose antlers lashed to their struts.
    Give it some thought: try to arrange the horns so that the least wind resistance results. Moose antlers, unlike cariblu horns, have relatively large "palms."

You really shouldn't have any trouble unless you try to secure one set of horns to the struits on both wings. If you do that, the airplane will shudder and vibrate so badly you will be tempted to just jump out. It WILL fly like that, but you'll be very sorry to have tried it.

Perhaps Mr. Pid will answer you, too. He has a wealth of Alaska flying under his seat belt.

Everything that mort said, except I've hauled one under each wing and the results weren't as dramatic. Slowed the airplane alot and that's it. I would imagine it truly depends on the size and how secured. Like he said, use common sense and try to make the least wind resistant. One rack under one wing is normally anticlimatic.

I have flown lots of antlers over the years, not a problem, just keep them out from the fuselage as far as possible because they will cause the tail to buffet. If you are alone run the rope through the tie down ring to hoist one end of antlers up, then lift the other end up and tie off. Depending on the size and shape of the antlers, you may be able to hook the brow tines over the front strut, if not just tie them under the struts. You will more than likely get some drag on that wing, sometimes you can compensate for a crosswind by putting antlers on the the wing that will make the plane fly straighter in the wind. Good luck on your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Perhaps Mr. Pid will answer you, too. He has a wealth of Alaska flying under his seat belt.
    Mort, You are too kind. You definitely give me too much credit. Besides, I'm not much of a moose hunter. I've killed my share, but these days I prefer to do it in winter from a snowmachine. Packing big animals is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Mort, You are too kind. You definitely give me too much credit. Besides, I'm not much of a moose hunter. I've killed my share, but these days I prefer to do it in winter from a snowmachine. Packing big animals is overrated.
    I've heard the wealthy say, "We've got people for that!" Guess you'll just have to get wealthy . . . . .