Thread: Antler transport?

Default Antler transport?

Okay so I'm about all set to go now got all my stuff together, sending it over to transporter next week then going on to meet it on the 4 th.

We're heading over west primarily targeting brown bears
    but being a resident I am allowed caribou which a friend who pointed me to this area says shouldn't be a problem. I figured if I was to tag a decent bull I might send the rack home with my dad to put in my uncles office or somewhere as my little apartment is rather full of antlers already.
    My dilemma is how the heck do you get a set of caribou antlers back to Oklahoma intact for a reasonable price. I don't think you can check them with an airline can you? I also assume shipping them will be expensive.

I know I'm kinda putting my cart before the horse and will now not likely see a caribou, but just in case any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Check the baggage reg's for the airline you are using. I have always used cardboard for the tips and a little duck tape. On Alaska Air it was free, on the others it was a little more. I think I paid $100 in excess baggage last time on Delta, but I had a rifle case, cooler, and a couple of duffle bags.

Good luck.

Awesome thanks, I didn't know if the baggage gorillas could be trusted or not.

Maybe I have been lucky, but they have always done a great job, both with the guns and the racks. It might be because they are unusual items or maybe they like to hunt and fish, too.

Good luck. Alaska is the best huntin and fishin.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hey Kid, when you say "intact" I assume you simply mean you don't want the rack busted all to heck. The best way I've found is to split the rack (cut through the skull plate), then pad the whole thing with lots of cardboard and duct tape the two sides together as securely as possible.

Get a segment of garden hose, cut it to slide over every piont, for protection, use tape and cardboard to finish off areas that may get beat on. most states have rules on the flesh/hair on the skull cape, so just remove it. then use the airline to ship it or contact a few taxidermist to find out whom they ship mounts out with to that part of the state.