Thread: Tip #437: Never feed the birds

Default Tip #437: Never feed the birds

In 2003 on a sheep hunt, my buddy and I had to leave his gutted ram on the mountain overnight. It was a later season hunt in the Chugachs, so we no kidding had a few hours of darkness. Oh the memories of being camped on top of a mountain and having that feeling you can reach up and touch the Aurora. I digress....

Anyhow, the following morning my buddy and I arrive to the kill site to find the birds had beat us to him. They sure did a number picking at the cape and getting to the meat. Well, this year my buddy and I found ourselves in a similar situation where I had to leave my ram overnight. Although we were much further north this year, a combination of late hour combined with dense fog/clouds/rain we could hardly see. Rather than simply gut and leave my kill in the rocky chute. We buried the booger.

How many sheep do you see in this pic? Now how many do you see? When you have no choice but to leave your critter behind. Conceal your kill with rocks, stick, tundra sod, etc. It may not keep the bears off of it, but it should help with the birds and smaller game.
    IMG_3310.JPGIMG_3309.JPG

thanks for the info

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

After a cover up job like that... you may want to mark it with some surveyors tape too!

We covered up our goat kills on kodiak in hopes of slowing the smell down and keeping the birds from attracting bears since we were still going to be hunting the drainage. Not sure if it helped any but it sure didn't hurt. Only downfall was I am sure it would look suspicious to the troopers if they saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    In 2003 on a sheep hunt, my buddy and I had to leave his gutted ram on the mountain overnight.
    Nice. Thanks.

Thats a great idea and one I would never have thought about until after the fact.

I once did that with a buck and lost it to a bear.

Thanks for the tip

Great idea Jimmy; thanks. If you don't have the time or means to bury the animal, it can at least help to clean up visible blood. Birds tend to have very good eyesight and can see the blood a mile away (literally). Last year on a goat hunt, my buddy and I had to leave some meat and our hides at the kill site overnight. We cleaned up the hides and draped them over the meat bags. The result looked like a pair of bedded-down goats. Maybe we just got lucky, but we didn't have any problems, despite the several ravens that watched us butcher our animals.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Oh ya, the birds see that blood a long way away, as well as your movements while gutting and such.
    Bears and Wolves , Wolverine, ect. will see the birds and home in on them as well.

Sometimes we leave meats to make loads with sleds or boats. Gotta keep the critters off.

If we cant bury the carcass in snow blocks, in winter, becasue there isnt much snow, we will skin the animal, dissasemble and then put the skin on top like a blanket.
    When the hide is stiff and 1/2 frozen (5 minutes) we will place it over the meats, and they wont stick if their crusted frozen. Then seal the edges and brush snow atop like cammo.
    Some brush will keep the birds off and mark the spot.

In the summer, we stack meat with willow layers between meats, and then we will pile brush on them to keep birds off meat.

Good idea using the rocks at hand.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I once did that with a buck and lost it to a bear.
    Do you think it had a direct correlation to burying it?