Just got back from our sheep hunt today (Sunday), and ended up not getting a sheep...the main objective was for my son to get one, and it all started from day one, we were supposed to fly out on the 6th and didn't get out until the 13th due to heavy fog, we started hiking that day and started hunting the 14th, and on that day we saw about 20 or so rams, and what was disappointing was only one was barely legal.....we passed on it. We glassed the whole basin, and spotted two grizzlies ( season opens on 1 Sept), one which was really good size I would guess 7 1/2 to 8 foot the other smaller one about a mile apart was smaller....we were working our way into an area a few miles up where I figured the bigger sheep would be in the crags and cliffs but was hesitant about taking my boy up there, so as we got higher in elevation after dropping over the ridge, I started glassing with the spotter, sure enough there were two up there maybe more, but the wind was picking up so strong I couldn't get the tripod to stay still, but the indication of dark heavy horns coming out of there skulls told me these were the ones, so we dropped down into another creek drainage and started the trek we then camped for it was late and we were exhausted, the next day the temperature dropped and fog was coming in, so we moved on up, as we were working our way it started to rain heavily we hunkered down behind some rocks because the wind was picking up, we made it to the top and I set up the Hilly, then it started sleeting in heavy winds, we got some food and hunkered in the tent, the winds picked up so strong it broke both poles on the tent, the winds were about probably 70 mph, I had the heavy rocks on the stakes and the tent was tearing , then the heavy snow came with the wind...I thought for sure we are going to call for Rescue service, we rode it out for the rest of the night and most of the next day, we could not even go outside the tent, thats how bad it was, when it finally stopped snowing the tent was almost buried. I had to go out to move the snow away from the tent because the tent became a two man bivy....we ended up staying in there for 4 days, because the visibility was sooo bad, we couldn't see a hundred feet, It was too dangerous to walk around because we were near steep slopes and one of us could end up going all the way down, we were at 5700 feet. when the winds died down we came down very slowly and carefully, we had a few scares but we made it to the creek where it was safe to finally walk and descend and we we ran into another bear running across the snow away from us, we hunted our way back to the ridge above the airstrip, then again all the rams we saw were not full curl, finally we just decided to head back, my son already missed the first two days of school, which started thurs. so we both agreed to leave. On the way back we saw a wolverine which was a treat, and all in all it was a still a good hunt with my best buddy .......and the night before we left the airstrip in front of a nice fire, my son said to me ......thanks for taking him, although blizzard 2.jpgthe conditions.....he got to spend the quality time with me.
This was his second sheep hunt.... here are some pics with our crippled Hilleberg Nallo