Thread: Needing help planning trip to alaska!!!

Default Needing help planning trip to alaska!!!

For the longest time I've wanted to take a trip to Alaska and experience what it has to offer. I really want to stay in a rural cabin and get away for about a month. I plan on going sometime around next June. I just wanted to get some answers from people who actually know if this is even possible.

First of all, can i even rent a rural cabin from someone for just a month? And if i flew in is there transportation that can get me to and from wherever i need to go?

And if it is possible, what part of alaska would be best for this sort of trip?

Off subject a bit, but there are many (like 150) USFS cabins you can rent. Many are on lakes or rivers and popular with fisherman. Can't stay a month (in summer) but you can stay 7-10 days or so. Most go for about $30-40/night and some on lakes have boats. A quick Google search would give much info on this. We stayed in one on Prince of Wales this past May. It was about a 40 mile bush flight north of Ketchikan. Many such cabins in the SE area, but also some in other areas of the state to include the Kenai Peninsula. Upper and Lower Paradise Lake come to mind on the Kenai. Perhaps this would make a nice first trip to Alaska if you want to stay in a cabin. Alternatively, if you have the wilderness skills, a 2-3 week remote float trip would be a hell of an adventure. The Noatak, Kobuk, and Alatna come to mind as good choices for rivers. I have done several remote floats. You pick river, trip timing, rent raft, book pilot, etc.. and float and camp your way down river. Lots of wildlife, solititude, and great fishing. Happy to share what I can if you want more info. Email me at danattherock@hotmail.com if applicable. Below are some pics. First link is the cabin we stayed in on POW in May. Second link is assorted pictures from our various float trips. Mostly in arctic NW Alaska, one trip in SW, and a few shots from the Upper Kenai River last Sept.

Cabin in SE Alaska...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...07239859/show/

Float trips...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    For the longest time I've wanted to take a trip to Alaska and experience what it has to offer. I really want to stay in a rural cabin and get away for about a month. I plan on going sometime around next June. I just wanted to get some answers from people who actually know if this is even possible.

First of all, can i even rent a rural cabin from someone for just a month? And if i flew in is there transportation that can get me to and from wherever i need to go?

And if it is possible, what part of alaska would be best for this sort of trip?
    Very Rural AK wont require travel...Your locked and your guide will provide neccessary travel.
    Now if you got a semi-rural cabin, one that allows your to drive in and out, I am sure its possible (get a rental car), but what are you wanting?

Kings, Reds, Trout, Pinks, Lake, River, just party and drink, or what? Possibility's are endless here but you need to tell us what you want....Be specific. Deep Water Halibut and salmon charters are an option much of the time...

If you need a guide, I would personally just stay home.

Most rental car agreements in Alaska prevent you from going on secondary roads.

Never seen a cabin with good halibut fishing.

Kidding (mostly)
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

You might also try posting your question on the Trip Advisor forum: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...49-Alaska.html