Thread: Needing advice for a trip to Alaska!!

Default Needing advice for a trip to Alaska!!

For the longest time I've wanted to take a trip to Alaska and experience what it has to offer. I really want to stay in a rural cabin and get away for about a month. I plan on going sometime around next June. I just wanted to get some answers from people who actually know if this is even possible.

First of all, can i even rent a rural cabin from someone for just a month? And if i flew in is there transportation that can get me to and from wherever i need to go?

Of course this is possible. As long as you have a little bit of money most anything is possible. You could run a add on Craigslist for a cabin when you get a bit closer to your trip time. There are a number of cabins the state has that rents by the day and longer. As for transportation there are rental cars, trucks, campers, motor homes what ever you want. You might just rent a motor home and see more of the state than just 1 cabin for a month. Just some ideas.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/cabins.cfm

You might also contact some of the air taxi operators in the areas you are interested in visiting. They typically know who manages the various cabins that are for rent as they often are the only way to get to them. some of the set net cabins or native corp cabins in Kodiak are available for rent when the are not being used. I think there are some Kodiak folks on this forum who might know more than I do.

thanks for replying! Like I said, I'm just trying to get advice from the locals. Those websites were exactly what I needed. One more idea that i was kinda tossing around was just trying to stay up there maybe 1 to 2 months and live maybe on the outskirts of a city and possibly get a temporary job to help with the expenses.. Do you know of any programs or should i just post an ad on craigslist and hope somebody would hire me for 1 or 1 and a half months or so?
    Haha sorry im really clueless about this.

I'd rent a motorhome, or just come up to Fairbanks and rent a dry cabin outside of town for a few hundred a month, or tent it. This is depending on how much money you have to spend. Summer work would be possible to find. You can also google work camping and find sites that will help you find work. I know that Denali National Park area jobs can be had for work campers. Good luck, and enjoy your stay here in our beautiful state. Be careful though you may end up getting "stuck" here.

Jeremiah

Ya sounds like something I want to do...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    For the longest time I've wanted to take a trip to Alaska and experience what it has to offer. I really want to stay in a rural cabin and get away for about a month. I plan on going sometime around next June. I just wanted to get some answers from people who actually know if this is even possible.

First of all, can i even rent a rural cabin from someone for just a month? And if i flew in is there transportation that can get me to and from wherever i need to go?
    here ya go... go see Claude and jennifer....
    http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/id6.html

i met a couple doing this just this year and they seemed to have a blast... you get to AK and they will pick you up, put you to work a few hours a day and you get to see some of the best AK has to offer...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good call Vince. I don't want to speak for them, but I bet you could even work out a deal for room and board. I imagine they'll be needing another load of wood by then
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Good call Vince. I don't want to speak for them, but I bet you could even work out a deal for room and board. I imagine they'll be needing another load of wood by then
    i think part of that is included there doug...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you come up with a trailer. The park system are always looking for monitors at the trailheads. They answer questions,pick up trash,and now the grass. I'm not sure what all the stipend pays and you get lp gas too. Dig around you'll find work. Work as a cook at lodge or something food and room included type of deal.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only