Thread: question fron arizona

Default question fron arizona

Hey gang,
    My first post so go easy! An az resident for the last 20 years but have hunted and fished ak for the last 25 yrs or so, off and on ,unguided 62" moose and 7 bou in ak on float trips unguided down the nush from big bend to koligenik. Hunted 17b nonres moose last year and could not believe how warm it was also didn't see any moose yearlings and the caribou were nearly non existent. going back to the same location this year with same trasnsporter...any weather forecast sept 5 -15 other than the farmers almanac.

It's sad that you have to say, "go easy on me"

Obviously he's followed some of the threads on here...Although I will say that 90 percent of posts are informed and kind...I've gained a lot of knowledge and made a few friends on here...hopefully the recreational sniping will lessen as the people that bash try walking on water and go neck deep...hahaha...although I don't blame him for the apprehension as I am from Arizona too and seem to get flak for that fact alone sometimes...no info on the weather brother...sorry...

AZinAK

In general, it's been a much cooler summer than last year for the south central portion of the state. I'm not sure about the western portion of the state, but I think it's similar. So it may be cooler than last year for your trip. Then again, I would stand on my head if you could find someone to tell me with any confidence what the weather is going to do anywhere in the state one or two days out, much less a month. I'll bet it's too early for anyone to say what it's going to be doing early to mid Sept. Have a good trip.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

After hunting and guiding in 17B for 14 years, I suspect the fall of 2011 will be similar to 2010, as far as game is concerned.
    Moose numbers are down in 17B, and have been for six years+-, due to poor recriutment of calves living long enough to become adults.
    The Mulchatna caribou herd imploded between 1998 and 2002. Consider yourself fortunate to have observed any.
    (Sorry about the doom and gloom sound.....)
    Brown bear numbers are up, good, perhaps great. Wolf population was high until about 2002, when the caribou population crashed. So while some people say the wolf numbers are still high, I (and my client-hunters) have not saw a wolf in six years. During my float hunts I see very few wolf tracks on the sand/gravel bars.

So, while moose numbers are low, there are still some good bulls to be found. The best moose hunting is generally the first day, and the last few days of the moose season.

The weather last September was super hot! My edge of my ears actually sunburned and blistered! While nobody can predict September weather this early in June, I also hope for more normal, cooler, weather. But I dread those occasional hurricane force wind and rain storms.

Good luck,
    AlaskaTrueAdventure/Dennis

Are you flying in to a ridgetop location, or hunting along a river? I ask because I think the non-resident regs for moose and bou in Unit 17 changed a few years back; if my memory serves correctly non-residents could not hunt moose within 2 miles of the river on either side? I apologize if I'm quoting an outdated reg, just don't want you to have any surprises.

Good luck and post some pics after you return, 17B is some beautiful country.

Michael

Hi...

As the old saying saying goes, "check back with me in October and I'll tell you about the weather for this September"....lol. I was in 20b last September for ten days. Saw not one drop of rain and was able to take a creek bath every day, it was so mild. The year before was very similar for the first 9 days...then it went cold and wet. On day 12 our Super Cub was landing in 2" snow to get us out. In those 2 years my partner and I have taken 2 big bulls and a big caribou with longbows...so just keep hunting even when it feels like Hawaii!

http://www.wunderground.com/history

Any city, town or village in AK. All weather history down to any and every detail you could want. Should help. Cant predict this years weather but it will give you an idea.

Just type in the nearest village to where you will be hunting

Alaska is notorious for being one of the most diffcult places on earth to predict weather accurately, being a resident for 35 years I have observed as much. It did not take long for me to learn that a forcast was nothing better than a dart thrown at a board. Whatever the forcast is... believe it when you see it and have a good time regardless.

Plan for the worst, expect the worst, but bring a pair of shorts just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by edzukowski View Post
    Hey gang,
    My first post so go easy! An az resident for the last 20 years but have hunted and fished ak for the last 25 yrs or so, off and on ,unguided 62" moose and 7 bou in ak on float trips unguided down the nush from big bend to koligenik. Hunted 17b nonres moose last year and could not believe how warm it was also didn't see any moose yearlings and the caribou were nearly non existent. going back to the same location this year with same trasnsporter...any weather forecast sept 5 -15 other than the farmers almanac.
    Great info so far. Predicting the weather is futile IMO; I can't make an accurate prediction 2 days out in GMU 17, much less 2+ months. Having said that, September 5-15 in 17B may see highs in the mid 60s and lows in the 20s, but I expect 30s-50s. Last year was very hot during the end of moose season--abnormally hot IME and I pray we do not have the same kind of weather this fall. If you plan for highs in the 50s during September 5-15 and a fairly constant drizzle you won't be far off, at least not normally...

Remember that quality bug spray, durable rain gear and synthetic clothing are your friends for a September hunt in unit 17; everything else is optional.

AlaskaTrueAdventure is on the mark with his understanding of game in 17B. Brown bears are relatively plentiful throughout 17 (A,B&C). Moose are common as well, but nearest the various rivers and villages they are often a bit spooky and good bulls are never easy to find. Caribou are uncommon in 17. They are occasionally seen, but you can't count on it in the fall--the spring is usually a bit easier for subsistence hunters to locate and hunt them. There are black bears around, but under ordinary circumstances I would not consider them as a viable hunting species in GMU 17. Wolves, wolverines and such are incidental trophies in the fall. They are around and there are several guides in our area that focus on hunting them in the winter (snow machines), but in the fall they possess all of the advantages.

I hope you have a great trip and I'll invite you to contact me if I can help you in anyway for your upcoming hunt. I'll do what I can to make your trip out here easier for you.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.