Thread: 300wm Barnes TTSX vs Nosler Partition Test.

Default 300wm Barnes TTSX vs Nosler Partition Test.

Went out today in 90 degree heat - muggy as all get out, and played with our moose guns - 5 hours worth - man is my neck sore!
    Anyway I tried a bit of an experiment - loaded 2 rounds of TTSX in Browning A-bolt and 2 rounds of Nosler Partitions in a Win 70 - both 300wm.
    My son and I shot about 40 rounds ea throughout the day and kept feeding a fresh round in leaving the 2 in the magazine to take a pounding.
    The Nosler's ( 200 gn ) looked liked the end of a toilet plunger at days end - flatter than grandma's - well you know what - but crimp held them without any slipping into case deeper. I shot them and both went about 1" high at 100 vs their litter mates.
    The TTSX came out looking much better - one had a slightly dented plastic tip - the other no dent but did go from 3.34 OAL to 3.22 - so it slipped deeper into the case some. The dented one shot right in there with the others, didn't get to shoot the shortened one as I wanted to measure it back home.
    So, my conclusion - when I see one in my pocket while out hunting that has taken a couple smacks - it likely would not affect a 100 yard shot at a critter of any size...
    Perhaps a little more crimp on the TTSX is needed and then they would have a +1 advantage due to the plastic tip resisting damage from recoil when in the magazine...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great test. Thanks for posting.
    I have found that some tipped bullets tend to get banged up on my 325wsm.

I have found when messing up a point on the Partition that I was able to hit what I was shooting at out to 300yds. Never tried a really messed up point any further but it will hit the spot on big game out to 300yds. Of the two bullets you tested I like the Partition on big game better than the TTSX. I really like the 180gr Partition Protected Point in a 300Win Mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I have found when messing up a point on the Partition that I was able to hit what I was shooting at out to 300yds. Never tried a really messed up point any further but it will hit the spot on big game out to 300yds. Of the two bullets you tested I like the Partition on big game better than the TTSX. I really like the 180gr Partition Protected Point in a 300Win Mag.
    Interesting for sure - not promoting shooting nasty looking ammo on game - but in a pinch it seems to be suitable for sure...
    I, too, like the 180 PP Partitions - shoot great for me outa any 300wm I have tried. I had some 200grainers drawing dust and figured a moose would be a good test - not much else I will hunt that would need more than 180 for sure.
    I bought the Barnes to play with and have been intrigued - good accuracy and great penetration. I think my son may opt for them....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Some folks really like them and are happy with them. Your son might have great luck with them and if he does use them I do hope they work well for him and that he has success in taking a fine trophy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

This is an interesting test. For me, it seems to confirm that there is not much to worry about with either. At most, my cartridges are going to endure three--not forty--recoil impacts while in the magazine.

I shot the lone TTSX that had slipped into the case yesterday - it ended up about 3.6 in high at 100 vs 1.5 for the same load, so that seems more important than deformed tips...
    Man, I am running outa recipes for dem ole paper mooses!

The reason as you stated earlier is the fact that the TTSX move back into the case and that change the COAL and also accuracy. I am still going to try some TTSX's in my 300Win Mag Did I actually say that????
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's some pretty good info,

great experiment, thanks for posting
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The reason as you stated earlier is the fact that the TTSX move back into the case and that change the COAL and also accuracy. I am still going to try some TTSX's in my 300Win Mag Did I actually say that????
    LOL, I decided to stick with 200gn Nosler Partitions since my mdl 70 was shooting them like a dream - shot a 5 shot 2in group at 200yards Sat! I tweaked my sons ABolt to handle the same load - seemed stupid to not be shooting the same bullet if both guns ate them well!
    I think the slipped bullet may have scared me off a bit also with the TTSX - I know I punished it a bit more than it would likely ever get in the field - but hard to clear that outa ones mind! I think with a stronger crimp it should be fine! Got my Lee 30cal crimp die and loaded the Noslers with it - shoulda got one years ago...

I here you on sticking with the Partitions. I hope you both have good hunting this year.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I here you on sticking with the Partitions. I hope you both have good hunting this year.
    Thanks! This has been in the works for 3 years - Mounting health issues put this trip off last year, lodge went belly up prev fall ( with my $2K deposit - however new owner ( was original owner for 27 years is honoring that whew ) and we are down to 40 days! People just don't realize how valuable their health is until it goes south - if I just get there it will be a victory for me - a moose is almost tooo much to ask for....

Smokey, you will be in my prayers and I do hope you get a moose. All the best to you my friend and God's speed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good luck, hope you get a great moose. I am also going to try and load some 200gr Partitions in my 300 Win Mag. I was able to grab a buch of 2nds, so I bought them up while the getting was good. I have been shooting the Sierra 200gr GK with great results, so I am thinking the Nosler's should be as good or better. Hope to see some pictures of your moose soon and glad you are healthy. Scotty
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by beretzs View Post
    Good luck, hope you get a great moose. I am also going to try and load some 200gr Partitions in my 300 Win Mag. I was able to grab a buch of 2nds, so I bought them up while the getting was good. I have been shooting the Sierra 200gr GK with great results, so I am thinking the Nosler's should be as good or better. Hope to see some pictures of your moose soon and glad you are healthy. Scotty
    Thanks Beartooth & Scotty, will see what this body has left in it for sure!

Scotty, I have shot moose and elk and bear with the 180 gn Noslers with fine results - I just watch all these moose hunting tapes and many come in at frontal angle - I figure if shot angle is not exactly what I want the 200's will do a little more than the 180's!
    I ended up loading 68gn of IMR4350, 4831 also gave great results but I had several lbs of 4350 to use up!
    Good luck to you chaps as well! I will likely post some kind of story when its over under Out & About section...

Thanks Smokey. Appreciate your load info as well. I imagine you should really have about the best there is, if a moose comes in at a frontal angle. It will take alot of bone and muscle to stop that big bullet. Looking forward to hearing your story. Scotty
    Semper Fi

I have talked to the people at Barnes and Nosler over the few years. I don't remember what factory mentioned this, but somebody said the cut the tips off of ammo and shot it to see what the difference in accuracy would be. They did not find much of a difference at hunting ranges. I also asked about weight of bullets, and the same was true about +/- a few grains.

The COL will change the accuracy. Good bet to crimp it if the ammo shoots well without pressures. I crimped some ammo that originally was not. The accuracy actually improved. I reduced the load and worked back up to make sure I was not running things too hot.

Thank for the post. I usually oscillate between Barnes and Nosler products.