Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium collapsible wood stove

Default Titanium collapsible wood stove

I am looking into building a collapsible titanium wood stove for placing in my Hilleburg Atlas. I think it would be great for fall float hunts and winter camping trips. I was looking at the Sims Stoves Sportsman model but at 26 lbs itís a bit heaver than I would like. I was wondering if anyone who had one of these could take pictures of how it fits together.... I would like make one from Titanium. I have looked at all the collapsible stoves google could find and none where what I was looking for. I like the size of the Kifaru arctic stove but it is stainless and known to warp. The TiGoat box stove is too small and the 4 Dog stove doesnít collapse... I guess I am just too picky. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -JR

If it can be collapsible it will not be very tight" which will most likely mean it will spew smoke throughout your tent when you use it.
    But since you are going to make it yourself am guessing you are good at welding titanium and have a good source to buy your materials so maybe you can make a good one.

But why not just buy the 4 dog or Ti and pack the inside full of gear while traveling?
    Tennessee

I'm curious where you are betting your materials as well. Prices?

I have only briefly looked into prices on titanium sheet metal but it will be about the same price for me to build it in Ti as to buy it in SS. The Kifaru stoves do not look like they have a weld on them... made with just a brake, rivet gun and shears. As for the air tight issue, I plan on making a tongue and groove system with fire sealant tape, not sure what it is called but found on stove doors, to make it as tight as possible. People with collapsible stoves say they smoke for a few minutes in the tent until the flue warms then it remedies its self.
    -JR

You're planning on putting a woodstove in a tent that wasn't designed for that?
    Interesting.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Alaska_Lanche put a stove in a tent that wasn't designed for it. Said it worked out great. He gets back from hunting tonight but I'll let him fill in the details...

If I am able to get it built, it should work great and I think it will keep the tent from sweating like the use of a propane heat source. I keep debating whether or not to place it in the center of the tent or buy an additional vestibule and place it in there .. The vestibule is huge on the Atlas.
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    You're planning on putting a woodstove in a tent that wasn't designed for that?
    Interesting.

I did the same thing, modified a four man four season tent to accept a kifaru.......works great, bout to use it again for moose hunting. It was alot cheaper than buying an arctic oven too, and much less weight. 17 lbs with stove and stakes.

Attached Images Attached Images

Aren't you guys worried about the fabric and flamability issues? What if you open the door and sparks come out? I'm asking, because I too am interested in doing this, but have singed a canvas wall tent in the past, and can just imagine if it had been some type of nylon type material. Yikes!

Also curious what one would use for protection under the stove that would be light and potable.

Tin foil? I dunno...you make good points...

With the Atlas I have the option of not installing the floor. How do you like the Kifaru stove Mainer in AK?
    -JR

Default 2lbs 8.5oz - no smoke leak... mostly

Titanium Goat's small box stove, 2lbs, 8.5oz with titanium pipe (http://titaniumgoat.com/stoves.html), assembles with sheet metal screws through holes in the wall flanges. Applicaton: cook/dining tent - with stove to take the chill off or dry gear out at the beginning or end of the day. For other applications, maybe the experience would be different. We have not slept in the tipi with stove but our experiences have been good with this stove.

Stove Problems: Spark arrestor clogging: Using Duraflame logs for fuel eventually clogged the spark arrestor (a heavy mesh screen in the pipe), which produced copious smoke leakage... slowly at first. Wet conditions allowed removal of the arrestor, which solved the problem without recurrence. I think the clogging resulted mainly from the waxy soot residue of the Duraflames, which made the soot stick and clog. Smoke leakage has not been a problem since then though the stove has only been used in temps 30's to 50's, occasionally with wind, maybe 20-30mph gusts. Snowwolfe uses his tent/stove for the "living tent", sleep area I believe. His caution about smoke leakage might come from experience.

JR, When you say, "The TiGoat box stove is too small ...", I wondered what you meant. I slept in a small cabin once with too big a stove. Big appetite for wood and more heat than I'd intended - yikes. The maximum heat output of any metal stove is considerable and a larger stove will also take up more space. For 3-season campers and just trying to knock the chill off twice a day, in tents of 4-8 people, maybe it takes a big stove, but for 2-4 people, wouldn't a small stove be better? Maybe not. Winter camping?

Good luck.

In my opinion the smaller stove box means you are putting smaller wood in it all the time. But like you said 6x, if you are just heating a small tent then it doesn't take much to heat it. I have used a candle to take the chill off in my floorless golite tipi.

Good point. Small stove, small fuel.
    In fact the opening on the TiGoat small box stove... is also small, limiting fuel options even more if burning wood -unless you split.

The size of the fuel was my main concern. I would like to avoid using a hatchet if at all possible. Less of a chance taking a chunk out of your leg or anything else with a hand saw. My tent is also a bit on the large side ... 168 sq. ft. imagine a 10x 17 wall tent... except it only weighs 18 lbs. Good to know about the duraflame logs ... I am sure I would have just filled it full of em on wet days.
    -JR

When I was looking around for the stove for my AO10, I went with the 2dog from fourdog.com (four dog stoves). It is about the size of the "packer" which I was told would be too much heat for the AO10. However, i was told from users of it, the reason it is too much heat was that it wasn't airtight and would ALWAYS draw air, and you couldn't turn it down enough. I bring it up, because I wanted teh bigger stove, for wood handling, and stuffing it at night, so that I can turn it down and get a longer burn out of it, instead of the tiny amount that would go in the AO stove.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    With the Atlas I have the option of not installing the floor. How do you like the Kifaru stove Mainer in AK?
    -JR
    It's a decent stove for the money and what it is.

The goods: It folds down small, is light weight, and is enough to take off the bite while waking up and for warming up after a cold, miserable and rainey day of hunting. Once in your sleeping bags........all is well and no more heat is needed, I don't need it to run all night. The stove only needs minor chunks of wood that are easily breakable with a hatchet, I'm not affraid to use a hatchet or worried of hurting myself.

The bad: The long side panels distort inward while under heat and allow sparks to escape.

The fix: a small piece of steel tubing that was cut to fit snug on the inside of the stove to keep pieces fitting tightly. Now there is no distortion or sparks escaping.

The oxford-nylon/bath-tub floor takes sparks and laughs at them.

I don't sleep too much with the stove running.

Moose camp has now become portable and nomadic........more oppurtunities to find a prime location.

Hunt AK, Sayak,

I use an old nomex gunners suit to drape under the stove. You could take a blow torch to it and it wouldn't catch on fire.

Gililand440,
    To answer you're question:

The goods: It folds down small, is light weight, and is enough to take off the bite while waking up and for warming up after a cold, miserable and rainey day of hunting. Once in your sleeping bags........all is well and no more heat is needed, I don't need it to run all night. The stove only needs minor chunks of wood that are easily breakable with a hatchet, I'm not affraid to use a hatchet or worried of hurting myself.

The bad: The long side panels distort inward while under heat and allow sparks to escape.

The fix: a small piece of steel tubing that was cut to fit snug on the inside of the stove to keep pieces fitting tightly. Now there is no distortion or sparks escaping.

The oxford-nylon/bath-tub floor takes sparks and laughs at them.

I don't sleep too much with the stove running.

Moose camp has now become portable and nomadic........more oppurtunities to find a prime location.

Hunt AK, Sayak,

I use an old nomex gunners suit to drape under the stove. You could take a blow torch to it and it wouldn't catch on fire.[/QUOTE]

I believe AK_Lanche and I are prob. the only forum members (currently) who have made a tent what we wanted it to be.......as opposed to accepting what is currently avail. AK_Lanche chose a different route.....and I may duplicate his set-up for a cook shelter in addition to what I already have. Cook 'n' Camp shelters are best.......without a floor.

here's anotha shot of "Mainer_in_Ak's Rivah tent":

Attached Images Attached Images

I though it was 'rivah'....

Can we see the setup inside?

I don't know what yah talkin about...............

anyhoo, I'll def. post some inside shots after the middle of september because I don't have any shots of the inside yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast