Thread: boat access to Jim Lake, Mud lake, etc

Default boat access to Jim Lake, Mud lake, etc

Is there any boat access to Jim Lake, and neighboring lakes? Are there any restrictions for size of motor, size of boat, etc. I plan on trying to duck hunt the lakes this year and want to use my boat. Is that possible?

Depends a lot on the type of boat you have. Mud lake has a mud ramp at the bottom of a bumpy steep hill, go and take a look, follow Maud road to near the end and you will find it. Jet drives are useable in the lakes and creek once you find the channels to follow to avoid getting plugged by weeds. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. You can also access by lower Jim creek, follow it up from the Knick, and also from the gravel areas on both sides of the Knick Old Glen bridge. Shallow though the sandy/silt areas but better after in the main portion of the creek. Lots of weed growth in Swan lake. Mud motors work great in all these areas, some use regular outboards but light enough to tilt easily when necessary. Airboats are great also. I strongly suggest you go before season and try it out, or at least the first time or two after day light breaks, and not in the dark. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by dan66 View Post
    Is there any boat access to Jim Lake, and neighboring lakes? Are there any restrictions for size of motor, size of boat, etc. I plan on trying to duck hunt the lakes this year and want to use my boat. Is that possible?
    Jim Lake at the end of Maud Road does have motor restrictions due to the small size of the lake and the new management plan - 5hp maybe? It does not have a boat launch anyway so you have to drag a small boat or canoe to the edge and put it in right amoung all the spawning salmon. You will enjoy the smell for days afterward.

If your boat is light enough you can zip across Jim Lake and drag it over the portage of about 60 ft into the creek and zip out to Leaf and Swan or even the Knik. there are a few logs and stumps in the creeks so don't be surprized if your motor kicks up. Make sure it is not locked down when you get going.

If you can't make it into the lakes, you can still park in the creek and "walk" across the floating alder bogs and hunt from shore in some of the lakes. It will take some time to find spots you can walk in with out loosing your boots or going swimming.

As Bud said the primary access for the system is off of Maud Road in a obvious spot. Just look for the big parking area near a cliff over looking the lake. There is only one so you can't get confused. The rules for launching are simple:
    Park and look over the cliff before you drive down
    Don't park on the lower area (canoist and kayakers I am talking to you)
    Get all your gear ready before you drive down
    Park your truck and trailer out of the way not blocking either trail down or the roadway

The lake is really weedy so jets usually have to stop a few times and clean their grates out. Normal outboards better be on a jack lift and even then you have to know where the few channels are. It took me years to find them the hard way. With the low water this year it won't be an outboard or jet seaon out there. Even the mud motor guys were getting stuck by the end of September.

The State of Alaska should use some of our license funds and fix that hole of a launch.

From my understanding, the lakes there belong to the natives, and we are being allowed to use it by their corp. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    From my understanding, the lakes there belong to the natives, and we are being allowed to use it by their corp. Bud
    I sure hope not. I thought a navigable waterway was public property, or at least public access.

Not accurate, use this map to get factual information. This is from the Knik Public Use Area Management Plan. All users of this area should spend some time this winter, if you didn't last year when it went final, and learn more about how this area is going to be managed in the future.

There are several sections and parcels of land out there before you reach the wetlands that are owned by Eklutna Village Corporation, but the majority of the land out there is owned by the State. There is an easement for the road as well as an easement for the boat access over the cliff. If you use the "new" one through the trees on the left you are tresspassing by a few feet. No one from Eklutna Corp has shown up to enforce their boundary since someone cut the path in around the rocks. Notice that the Eklutna lands don't extend much farther down the road past the boat ramp area.

Thank you for correcting me and my mis information. The map you posted was good, wish it had more detail when blown up. Thanks, Bud

Thank you for correcting me and my mis information. The map you posted was good, wish it had more detail when blown up. Thanks, Bud
    That is the basic problem with "general" land use/ownership maps - no detail and general to a fault.

The problem with blowing it up is that it is based on the old 1953 USGS quad, which does not capture the changes that occured from the 1964 quake when the whole valley sunk a few feet. This made some of the lakes larger.

The digital data on Google Earth is also old and low resolution stuff which is not much more useful than the USGS maps.

The easiest thing to do is to go to Aero-Metrix on Merrill Field and obtain an aerial photo from their 1996 fly over run. It shows a lot of detail that no map will ever provide. The same fly over run went all the way up the Knik and you can get a really good shot of the Hay Flats too if you want to spend the money. Its not cheap, but you will find no other source with that level of detail.