Thread: Vests/Booties Necessary for Cold/Snow?

Default Vests/Booties Necessary for Cold/Snow?

Are these items required for extended outings in the cold/snow?

I have a GSP, without much of a coat at all. What kind of temps can these guys stand safely while working?

Thanks.

Well, there is no easy answer to this. I've never used booties for my Brittanys, but I do have to worry about ice balls between their pads. No vests, although occasionally I put a blaze orange "Tummy Protector" on them, mostly for visibility. I don't go hunting if the snow is too deep and too tough for the dogs, and if it's too cold, colder than say...5 or so. On really cold days make your hunts very short, and always keep a sharp eye on the dog's condition; how it's reacting to the cold and such. But right now, be very careful about the heat. A dog will often only give you subtle clues to how badly it is suffering from the heat. If you aren't careful and watching the dog closely for signs of heat exhaustion a dog can die right before your eyes. Back to winter, one must keep a dog well hydrated then as well as during the warm weather. They will gulp at snow now and then, but they need water. You probably already know all this other stuff, but I post it as a reminder to others who might read this stuff.

Have a great time out there with your GSP!

Jim

P1020949.jpgP1020950.jpg
    Kyle,
    I have a vizsla, but they have a similar coat length. Although I didn't use booties or a vest, I'm considering a skid plate for crusty snow conditions. Usually a dog with the energy level of a GSP (or vizsla for that matter) doesn't get cold because they keep their body temp up while they run. There's usually a steady cloud of steam over Gauge.

One thing I learned over my first winter here was to be very considerate of the snow conditions, not just temperatures. Consider: snow depth and consistency, crust thickness and the snow conditions beneath the crust, etc... My neighbor's lab unfortunately had to have surgery on a knee last year due to an injury that happened while running him in some bad snow conditions.

Thanks for the quick replies -- good info.

Good looking dog -- never heard of a vizsla before.

This is Max -- he and I scouted around the Chena Flood Control Project for a couple hours Friday evening and then spent another couple hours scouting some cross-country ski trails on Eielson AFB. Just trying to get my bearings really. We jumped some mallards and crossed paths with a big cow moose -- but no grouse.

Thanks again.

That is a solid looking Vizsala! Beautiful dog. Growing up, a friend of mine had two vizsala's....great dogs! Lots of energy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    great dogs! Lots of energy!
    You said it all right there! One thing I wasn't sure about with him was how he would be with kids, but he is my 3 year old little girl's best friend and keeps close tabs on the baby...I couldn't ask for more. I'm sold on the breed, at least those breeders that care about maintaining the hunting instincts in the breed. They're kind of like Weimerarners, in that there are more that breed for looks and less that breed for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    You said it all right there! One thing I wasn't sure about with him was how he would be with kids, but he is my 3 year old little girl's best friend and keeps close tabs on the baby...I couldn't ask for more. I'm sold on the breed, at least those breeders that care about maintaining the hunting instincts in the breed. They're kind of like Weimerarners, in that there are more that breed for looks and less that breed for hunting.
    I hear you. I have one of those beauty pagant Weims! She was bredd for the couch I think! 10 yrs old now anyway.lol

Default certain temps cause balling

P3110094.jpgIMG_2104.jpg

Paint loves his vest and boots on sticky snow days...the rest of the time he don't need em

I also will use a vest & booties on my springers when the conditions call for them. The ice balls are a pain between their toes (especially when the try to chew them out & start to bleed) & the darn snow balls hanging off there coats (see springer pic above) .... well, enough said....

What I have found with my GSP is if Im comfortable outside moving she usually is too. Instead of a vest I buy small athletic sweats and make a tube vest for her. This is just enough keep the chill off when its cold out. I don't really have a go no go temperature but my rule of thumb is if Im not having fun the dog probably isn't either. Booties are always in my pocket and I find that once the ice balls start they are hard to stop. I make sure I trim the hair nice and short around their toes. Fortunately where I hunt the snow stays pretty fluffy so crust isn't a problem. But crusty snow can be hard on a dog if they break through. If I do go out on a cold cold day I stay pretty close to the truck.

I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

The booties are courtesy Iditarod athletes. I have several thousand of them if anyone needs a few.

How do you get the booties to stay on? We bought our choco lab some last year for when she runs behind the sno-go's. They don't seem to stay on very good at all. We bought the ones from sportsmans...

Cedar (dog) is a woooosie - she even wears her coat in the summer on the boat sometimes. She does have a really light coat for a lab though. She'll sit right in front of the little 1000w heater in the garage when I am wrenching on stuff.....sleeps under the covers on the bed too....SPOILED....but we are ok with that!

Bullelk, for the good ones that stay on ask any musher you know or meet to let you have a few...I'll mail you a few if you send me a PM or sounds like aksnowmo has a ton too. you also need to know how to put them on tight enough to stay, but not cut circulation...pull the strap around with your thumbnail under it and pull it tight, when you pull out your thumb they should be just about right...

I've looked at the "booties" they sell in cabelas and SW and they are crap especially for how much they charge...1-2$ each is as much as I'd ever pay for a booty ...light weight ripstop type nylon and stretchy velcro straps is what you want...

Also I'm sure you have to have specialty stores down south. Up here Cold Spot feeds stock several types and the staff is always great to help out. Best of all you can just take you pup in and try em on. Ask around there has got to be a place down there with mushing supplies. I find that with stuff like that, that is so specialized (as much as I love Cabela's) its better to be able to pick it up somewhere local.

I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge