Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Russian fish showing up?

  1. #1
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default Russian fish showing up?

    The Russian is still 10k below minimum escapement. If the 2-weeks late surge pushes through like the Kings did, we might get to the minimum.

    What is the return difference between meeting minimum escapement and max escapement?


    I haven't really looked at the historical data enough to recognize the pattern.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    The goal is 30,000 - 110,000. As of 3 days ago escapements were 22,526. That's 67 percent below the 14-year average. The Russian needs about 7,000 more sockeye in the next 2 weeks...gonna be close. The return difference could be a tough one to figure out...since returns fluxuate widely on this run (why there is such a big range). Nerka might be of some help on that if he's got time.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Walked the river last night. They count at the weir below the falls, yes? The river below there is absolutely loaded with fish that appear to be readying to spawn. I'd wager there are an easy 10,000 fish below the falls, and I'd bet they're not going to pass the weir. Do they figure these fish into their escapement projections?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Walked the river last night. They count at the weir below the falls, yes? The river below there is absolutely loaded with fish that appear to be readying to spawn. I'd wager there are an easy 10,000 fish below the falls, and I'd bet they're not going to pass the weir. Do they figure these fish into their escapement projections?
    I would certainly hope not. I doubt the Russian/Kenai would provide rearing habitat for the Red smolt. I have to believe, if the Reds wind up spawning in the creek, the Rainbows will get fatter.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Default

    Looks like they count sockeye below the weir every year. It appears that there are many late-run sockeye that spawn below the weir every year. It doesn't look like those count toward the goal so I'm guessing the goal wasn't established based upon including those fish.

    Table 15, page 68.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fmr07-66.pdf

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    Looks like they count sockeye below the weir every year. It appears that there are many late-run sockeye that spawn below the weir every year. It doesn't look like those count toward the goal so I'm guessing the goal wasn't established based upon including those fish.

    Table 15, page 68.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fmr07-66.pdf
    What is the mortality rate of the Red smolt that are hatched in the creeks vs the lakes?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,530

    Default

    The sockeye spawning below the falls produce fry that drop down and rear in Skilak Lake so they are not part of the goal. The reason for the large range is that the precision of the data is not good enough to pinpoint a single figure. Therefore, getting 30,000 could and has produced good returns.

    The weir is above the falls.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •