Thread: advice for Mon/Tue newbie

Default advice for Mon/Tue newbie

Hey everyone. It's been a few weeks since I fished last (great float with Ak Troutfitters for reds). I have Mon and Tue off and just looking for some suggestions. I live in Eagle River and the only place I've fished in Ak so far is the Kenai for reds. I had a great time and good success with my spinning outfit.

I have not used a fly rod for 10 years and although I was never really good at it, I want to try it again. I've got an inexpensive 7wt St Croix and a Pfl Trion reel I bought a couple of weeks ago. I also have an older 6wt set up, but the reel is not spooled. Any suggestions where I can go to try my hand at the fly rod along with any other advice would be greatly appreciated (what to use and hwo to fish it). Of course, I would love to be somewhere a little less crowded so as not to embarrass myself too much. I've read all the posts on bead fishing, but not sure if I should be doing that or flesh flies, or other. Thanks.

Goose

I sent you a PM.

Goose,

Can't tell you where to go, but can say this. Get out and have fun. Fish as much as you can, anywhere you can. You should not be afraid to fish in front of, or with, anyone. Why would you give a shet about it. Embarrassed. BS. They are just swinging rods in the river like you, getting tangled up, snapping off fish, cussing at the fish gods. Don't think for a second everyone else is that much better. Get out and fish right in with as many people as you can. By "in" I don't mean literally. Don't get too close, but spend time with folks that fish and you too will learn how to fish. Pick up a copy of Scott Haugens "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" and Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska...". Both were in the forum store a while back, can be found at bigger bookstores and online at Amazon. Casting not so good, buy Lefty Kreh's how to cast dvd from Cabelas. I learned how to cast a fly rod using this straight to the point, no BS dvd from the legend himself, Lefty. Dive into this flyfishing thing and quit dicking around with the idea. Tons of fun await. Got any stupid questions, send me a PM. Even I can answer the basic stuff. Don't be shy.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the advice Dan. You and AKChuck always seem to be forthcoming with good advice. I wish I had time to learn more about flyf fishing before the end of the season, but I don't have a lot of time to fish right now. Trying to understand all of the options with leader, tippet, knots, etc lost me the first go round with fly fishing several years ago. But, I'm ready to try and tackle it again. The times I have caught fish on fly gear have been so much more fun than pulling them in with my spinning gear. 9601 made me a great offer for Tuesday, but I'm not going to be able to take him up on it. My wife wants to hike today and she invited a neighbor to fish with me Tuesday, who has only been fishing a couple of times and owns no fly gear. So, he and I will probably just head somewhere with our spinning gear. I'm gonna be really bummed if I don't get a chance to try fly fishing up here before winter hits. Thanks again.

Goose

Default Good thinking...

Agree with Dan - Haugen's book is very helpful to anyone new to flyfishing in the area. And agree too about just getting out. There's much to learn watching others. If you have tangles and other troubles,... and you will... they'll laugh with you. I bet those guys at 3 Rivers will be happy to help you figure out how to tie the knots you'll need - and point you at some place(s) to start.

Besides, now's a good time to get a running start for the Fall. Fertile Fall Fisheries Find Fellow Flyfishers Focused for Fat Fall ... TROUT. Think TROUT.

Good luck, man.

Well, me and my neighbor ended up at Deception creek on advice from a guy at 3 Rivers. It was a beautiful day, so it did not matter if we caught any fish. There were chums and pinks all over the creek, but couldn't see many, if any, rainbows. Met a couple of nice guys. One gave us a couple of fly's that we were able to catch the chum and pinks on-I know they aren't good to eat, but we had a good time catching them. Then, another guy gave me the bead that he thought the rainbows would hit and I was able to catch my first Alaskan rainbow. I had a great time with the fly rod. It's such a better feeling than pulling a fish in with my Kenai Special. The rainbow had some amazing colors on him. Any suggestions on where else I could go over the next few weeks to fish for rainbows? I've got waders and a canoe, so it would have to be a place I can wade in, but I don't have any problems walking a lot. Thanks for the encouragement to just get out and use my fly fishing gear.

Goose

Thumbs up Sweet!!

Goose,

That is what it is all about man. Nice job!

For 100+ maps and detailed info on where to go, buy Scott Haugen's book. And buy it now, Sept is primetime for flyfishing in Alaska.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=75

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Goose. Take a look at quartz creek. The egg drop is going on. Beads will be working well there. You can hike so much of it and work alot of different holds. There are 3 or 4 pull offs to park at just beside the highway. Or you can go to the camp ground and park in the day use area. Ron the host there is a Retired Chief and a friend of mine. He can can you some details on the trails to walk into the creek there from the camp. The only thing is there are some brown fuzzy things that run around down there. Carry a horn and make noise. If you pack a weapon and are comfy with it take it. I dont pack down there but Im a loud obnoxious basterd

You can fish it with ease with your fly rod or a spinning rod. Stop by Mossy's fly shop and see Mike. He can set you up on beads and split shots and stuff cheap. Good luck

Oh congrats on the 1st bow too. There are some beautiful fish up here. You should be able to get into bows and dolly's on quartz
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Im a loud obnoxious basterd

You?

Nah??

Really???

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You?

Nah??

Really???

Bite me Dan Oh and I did not see bears sniffing around my camp So I must be doing something right. Good fun buddy. This is a good story here. A member taking the info, using it, people helping him out on the river and boom. He gets his first bow. I think quartz creek would be perfect for him. Plus he can stop at sunrise diner and get one of those "Vomit omlettes" you and Miss Carrie rave about
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yep, its about that time to start fishin' beads and flesh flies I would hit up quarts area if arent going to tangle this weekend. Or if the father works this weekend me and the madre will hit up the parks.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Been bead and flesh fishin' time since the kings started dropping eggs in July.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

See that not ''In the mood" bead fishin' thats desperato bead fishing.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Plus he can stop at sunrise diner and get one of those "Vomit omlettes" you and Miss Carrie rave about

Dude, the pig vomit omelet is the deal. Will be having a few meals there this year. Unlike you skinny folk, I enjoy a nice light 5 lb breakfast before hitting the river.

Since Dave and I are shuttling together, I hope he won't mind eating at Sunrise Cafe a few times

I thinks not

-Dan

Call it whatever you want. Desperate hardly is accurate though. I know a ton of people that are using them at that time. It works and catches fish. If you're "not in the mood" to use beads, then more power to you. I go with what the fish want regardless of what my "mood" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I go with what the fish want regardless of what my "mood" is.
    ha im definately going to agree. I think i would say that if you "want to catch fish" and you know the kings and reds are spawing......but just dont feel like fishing beads.......then there is something wrong in your head.

Exactly. Desperate no, knowing that fish are feeding on eggs and rotten flesh, and giving them beads and flesh flies, yes. That's called adapting to the situation and being a good fisherman. Observing the fish, knowing what they are doing and want to eat, and changing your strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Exactly. Desperate no, knowing that fish are feeding on eggs and rotten flesh, and giving them beads and flesh flies, yes. That's called adapting to the situation and being a good fisherman. Observing the fish, knowing what they are doing and want to eat, and changing your strategy.
    ding ding ding. I would say that sometimes it is good/fun to see if they will actually go after something different just because, but lets be smart here.