Thread: Solo North Slope Adventure

Default Solo North Slope Adventure

Well it started Thursday morning 19 Aug at 6 am, just got off a 12 hour shift and planned to head north to try my luck at caribou hunting. I have been going up there in Aug for about 5 years and came so close to successfully harvesting a Caribou but always have come up short. My plan was to drive until I got tired and then sleep and finish the trip friday the 20th. Well after 4 red bulls I found myself at Atigan Pass so I pushed foward to my camp appox 7 miles north of slope mountain. I arrived at approx 7 pm and my plan was to set up camp eat and sleep and hunt in the morning. Well after seeing caribou cross approx 100 yrd from camp mostly cows and calves I started to get excited but continued to set up camp then 7 huge bulls came out of the ravine and followed the same path as the last group, so here i am in tennis shoes, cotton pants and a blue shirt (for the drive) grabbing my Bow and a few arrows and started easing my way where the Bou have been crossing. Well it was wet and nasty and as every hasty plan goes I ended up wet miserable and cold and was no where close to getting a shot. I sloshed back to camp and decided not to leave camp no matter how many animals I seen. I ate and then feel asleep.
    20th at 530 am woke up ate some breakfast the fog was so thick that i decided to get in the truck and see if i can find a spot to look for Bou. Seen 6 bulls eating along a ridge and decided to try for them, sneaked up to within 80 yards and then they changed direction so I quickly backed down the ridge and tried for a knoll where I thought they would cross. I didnt make it Was about 30 yard short but I had good cover where i was and I peaked over the high ground to see where they were and to my surprise the big bull was approx 35 yards away. I though oh yeah, then the smallest bull walked over and was in my line of sight and immediately busted me. he didnt run but his posture alerted all the bulls and i thought well its now or never I drew back my bow and stood up to shoot over the knoll i was hiding behind and the Bou bolted. Well I thought to myself here we go again happens every year. After they took off I didnt see another bou and I sloshed my way back to the truck. And decided to glass from the truck and dry out a bit.
    I spotted a lone bull on a ridge bedded down and so I grabbed my stuff and started the stalk I noticed a ravine close to the Bou and told myself thats where i wanted to be. After about 35 minutes I arrived at the ravine and took my pack off and inched my way up. I peaked over the brush and saw antlers, 75 yards facing me. I thought sweet Ill just sit tight and he will get up and feed towards me. I had great cover and good shooting lanes and the wind was constant and into my face. Well after approx 1 hour he finally stood up and was eating in circles. Numerous times in the past I blew stalks like this cause I pushed and didnt have patience so I was determined to sit and wait. Well after another 15 minutes he was now 100 yards away and feeding away. I said to myself I have to relocate so I slowing walked down the ravine and stalked towards the bou using the low ground for cover. i knew I had to go approx 50 yards for a shot. I noticed a bush in front of me and that was my goal I slowly crept towards the bush it felt like an eternity, I made it there and slowly peaked above it to see antlers at 31 Yards. I knocked and arrow took a sip of water and some deep breaths drew my bow back and stood up. the Bou was quartering away eating and still had no clue I was there. I picked my spot and released and immediately heard a thud. The caribou walked 5 feet and looked around. I knew i hit him but wasnt sure where. I pulled another arrow and shot again and i was way to nervous and excited to shoot and missed and he then started to slowly walk away. I watched him but couldnt see no blood. and I crept towards where i shot him and found my arrow, I looked at it and it was clean . WHAT I MISSED thoughts immediately went threw my head. I grabbed the arrow and my hands got sticky and then I seen 1 hair on the vanes I looked back at the bou and seen him bed down and stand up then he started to stagger and then BAM he fell approx 200 yards away. I wasnt sure he was dead so I crept up to him and there he lay my 1st Aug Bou on the slope. He was not the biggest but I am totally excited about it.
    7 hours later i finally got him back to the truck. my arrow went in towards the rear of the rib cage and exited out the front of ribs, both wounds were 2 ribs in from the front and rear.
    I almost turned back numerous times as I was heading out sure glad I didnt. I left Saturday morning to take care of the meat because my arrow clipped his stomach and I didnt want to chance meat spoiling. In the pic the arrow isnt in the Bou. Another lesson learned Make sure you check camera before you leave to catch great moments. My screen went out on my digital camera and I couldnt view pics or see if camera was even was working.
    100_3012.jpg100_0829.jpg

Nice job!!! I want to do that trip one day
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The "little one" says very cool, and nice job. hard work always pays of.. patience works well. Mia looks very interested!..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

congrats going to do the hunt next year.

so freaking touching wiso!!!

Hey story teller I am not, lol dont you have some work to do!

Ski,

Good job. I envy you from down here in Missouri. You find any of my arrows I lost up there in March? Ha!

CPT C

Fot the 1st time i didnt loose and arrow,I work at range control at wainwright and have seen some nice bulls, you have good whitetail there in Missouri dont you?