Thread: Disability permits

Ft Richardson

Default Disability permits

Been awhile since I've been on here. Hoping some of you may have some info.

Long story short, I lost a leg (AK) in Iraq. I am staying in the Army, so I already know I don't qualify for the disabled vet permits. You have to be separated to qualify as a "vet", don't get me started.

While I have been down at Walter Reed, I have been out with the bow as often as possible. One thing I was able to get is a permit to use a quad or truck to hunt. Obviously there are restrictions on land usage and whatnot, but I was wondering if Alaska has any such program or access availability.

I already know there are some areas I will not be able to hunt anymore, but getting out is one of the reasons I fell in love with Alaska. Just trying to find out what I will need to to modify to keep the freezer stocked.

Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush

Alaska has a methods and means disability permit, bottom of this page:

But I think you have to get the permit at least 30 days prior to a hunt. Anyway, might check into that, call your local F&G office for particulars.
    Good luck!

Kodiak, Ak

Not too sure about disability permits Josh, but just wanted to say thank you for your service. Keep practicing with that bow and get out there and hunt something!!

I sent you an email last night w/ contact info for a hunt possibility in the Fairbanks area. Please call the number for more info.

If you can get the time off then I'm sure that we can get you up here and in the field this season.

send me an email if interested.