Thread: troubled Johnson Stinger 75

Default troubled Johnson Stinger 75

I have a question regarding a 75hp Johnson Stinger (jet) that I own.
    It quit late last year on the Talkeetna. A buddy, borrowed the boat to go up to his homestead that borders mine. On the return trip he fired up the motor (ran great), and idled it a bit to warm it up.
    The river was very low at the time... He pushed off from the landing and was about to give it some gas and it quit... no weird sounds.. just quit.... Like it was just shut off. It appeared locked up.
    The impeller was removed.. Some rocks cleaned out... The flywheel does turn a bit both ways. It feels like there are bits of something in there... broken parts?... (Sounds gritty)... Camn rocks get further up into the lower unit?
    Having blown engines before they tend to not work at all afterwards.
    The motor does turn.. By hand.I'm not an outboard motor guy, and while I know the principles, I'm not familiar enough to visualize.
    I'm told it could be sand, but where would it be?.... The lower unit looks clear.
    Would the lower unit need to be removed?
    Is it a task a newbie should handle?.. (been a very tight money year).....
    Is there a good book/manual on outboard motor repair available?

Any help is appreciated.....

regards..

reuben...

Have you checked your Jet bearings? If they are siezed you will lock up like this. This first indicator is really dark gray grease coming out when you pump new grease in. If you can drop the whole jet unit and turn the crank over then thats probably what your up against. It is cheaper to repair than a new power head and youll need to take the jet off anyway to have it repaired.

FYI the bearing I'm talking about is where the shaft runs through the jet unit.

I'll take a look. I'd still prefer to have a manual, or at least an exploded view before i start taking things apart.
    We greased it up good and kept is greased. There was no indication of any trouble though. it purred like a kitten....

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    I'll take a look. I'd still prefer to have a manual, or at least an exploded view before i start taking things apart.
    We greased it up good and kept is greased. There was no indication of any trouble though. it purred like a kitten....
    Go here for some diagrams of your jet. I'm not positive which one you have so you'll have to look it up.
    http://outboardjets.com/index.php

Even if you kept it greased, they still wear out. Sometimes you can tell failure is coming and sometimes its sudden. Without looking at it I can't be positive this is what happened, but it is the more inexpensive solution of all the potential causes.

+1 To what NR said, Also if had rocks up in there could have been sucking sand up in to Water pump housing to, Jammed that full. The Jet are easy to drop off, Check pump, [I would replace it, while it off use old for spare if still good] Remember what way the finns are turning, Don,t forget the water tube upon return, And throw little grease on end of splinned shaft where goe,s up into the motor.

Thanks for all the assistance guy's. I guess the best thing is to become familiar with jets huh! I have no clue as to which jet I have. I'm away from the boat right now. I'd imagine it has a tag on it though.
    Honestly I'm thinking I'd like to make sure it works, then trade for something smaller (tiller) thast I can switch between my jonboat and my zodiak, which is presently without a motor at all...
    I'm heading to anchorage right now to pick up family at the airport. Thenchartering a boat up to my place. The cheapest is $225.00... So you can see my need to get my boat fixed. Relying on friends during fishing season can be hit or miss... And there is no excuse for it when I've got a boat or two myself!

regards y'all..

reuben..