Thread: hows Chitina ? still fish ?

Default hows Chitina ? still fish ?

I'm thinking about going tues. the 24th , any silvers showing up ?

hey my family got back late last night with two silvers after 5 days of dipnetting so i think a few have showed up but not in any large numbers
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Thanks for the reply....did you get any reds ? I'll be coming back on friday . I'll be coming back on friday . I'll post my results then .

120 fish yesterday...boat and bank fishing, 3 nets, 8 hrs, no silvers....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Friends just worked a wheel down there a couple days earlier, and were -buried- in.... much to my surprise... reds. I suspected they'd be inundated with silvers..... but nope.... Reds, reds, and more reds... I'm wondering if Momma Nature's internal clock's gone into serious menopause or something??

How many silvers a year are taken by dipnet does anybody know? I've wondered how far up the Copper cohos migrate, I've never seen any in the Gulkana.

Numbers wise, in the copper basin is slim. They dont get that big of a coho run. I didnt even know they ran up there? I thought there was only one river with a decent run up there, accordingly to the highway angler ?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I used to net some silvers there in late August ~20 years ago, but have no idea what size run it is/was.... just that it's there. And it seems to me that by late August, we'd have more than a 1:29 ratio of silvers to reds. But my friends did way more fish than that in their wheel back when I posted my last note, and they caught only ONE silver. That, I found amazing.

First silver I ever caught was at the mouth of the Little Tonsina River. I was 7 or 8 and scared it was going to pull me into the water.

Point being, it had to come up the Copper. No idea how big the run is, though.

I found this article about where the Sockeye and Kings home-streams are, and it's actually pretty darn fascinating. It says nothing about the cohos, but I had no idea how wide-spread and diverse the salmon distribution was.

http://www.ecotrust.org/copperriver/...ming-Taube.pdf