Thread: Bou and Bows on the Haul Rd

Default Bou and Bows on the Haul Rd

I've seen a few posts on here before and everyone is always helpful. My father is coming out to visit his new grandson and has decided to make another hunting trip out of it. We are heading north on the 28th looking for caribou on the Haul road. We both hunt traditional recurve, but as a couple of prarie hunters we might be a little out of our element. Any advise as far as spot and stalk or ambush would be helpful. I've lived in Fairbanks a couple of years now but never made this trip. Thanks

Default A few things

First, keep in mind that ADF&G opened up grizzly hunting. I do not know off the top of my bald head what the specifics are, but it should open up opportunities for you, and perhaps your father too.
    Recent reports from several sources indicate to expect a lot of competition near the road. There seem to be lots of hunters and camps. Several conflicts were noted, though most likely not the norm. One of the new things seems to be drivers blocking the road to keep traffic from spooking caribou that their hunters are waiting for.
    Pretty much just drive till you spot animals, find good pullouts to get off the road and away from especially commercial vehicles, and start walking. Go get a feel for the land. A lot of guys just seem to cruise the roads and then race to cut the animals off. I think you will enjoy yourselves more if you find likely spots and head out to look around.
    Best of luck,
    ARR

Thanks, there are always a few that stink up any hunting ground. As far as bear goes i think we are going to put together a hunt down south next year. He has a boat and cabin on POW. We are planning on running across the bay and hunting up the coast. One hunt at a time i guess. We have a rig and by nosing around figured out most of the gear we need. Thanks again and any other advise would be great. I will also post a follow up on how the hunt was.

MT

I think I figured out who you are. Your dad doesn't work for Northwest energy in Stanford does he. You guys don't know me but I know of your dad.

The wife and I are going up with a friend of ours that knows your dad fairly well. We will start driving from Anchorage late evening on the 27. Not sure what our schedule is or where we are going to stop but we will be driving a silver 4 door Chevy with a raft in the back. I think My friend Rosey has your dads number.
    Hope to catch with you
    Olin

Yea thats me. We are gonna be heading north on 29th in a maroon and purple suburban. I've met Rosey and my Dad mentioned they were going to try and meet up. He is real excited about this hunt and has me running ragged trying to get everything ready for him. So I'm getting as much info as I can to get ready. We will probably meet up at some point. My neighbor flys north quite a bit and has mentioned seeing the herds as well as a few people I know talking to the hunters returning to town.

One other note. If you see a griz don't pass up the opportunity for the stalk. They opened it up on Aug. 1. Not much logistics to shooting a Griz bear for you. Shoot it and then take it in and get it checked in.

Went up on the 29th and got back the 2nd. We spent most of our time around pump 3 and Toolik, we saw quite a few but they were really jittery and very hard to stalk even if we had good terrain. We saw a few nice bulls arcoss the Sag but didnt trust our little raft to cross. We finaly got a few other buddies to take us across and the 4 of us spent all day chasing the small herd around. I got a few shots but didnt connect. It was tough hunting and with the shorter range of our recurves we just didnt get it together. I will head up again for sure. My dad is heading up again today and going to hunt for a few more days. If you see a purple suburban stop in and say hi. I live in Fairbanks but he still lives in Montana, its only a matter of time and he will be moving north I imagine. Well good luck to the rest of you and see you up there soon.