Thread: "armchair"

Default "armchair"

Well - for those so fond of using the term "armchair", was able to get out of the "chair" long enough to spend the day with my 14 year-old grandson and a 14 year old without a father in the "picture", attending the Hunter Education Course. The ADF&G has done an outstanding job of developing a basic hunter education course. Short of making it mandatory for all, EVERYONE can benefit from attending. Might result in a lot more concern for the resource and other hunters.
    Been a good couple of days with the positive family posts and being able to take the grandson and other young man to the hunting class.
    Joe (Ak)

It's good to have a good grandpa. Are you going to take him hunting? If so, hope it is a success, as almost all hunts, in the end, are.

Splendid. Probably gonna get closer to reaching a more ethical hunting community with that approach. Good on ya.

WantJ,
    Glad to see that you and your grandson were able to attend the AK Dept of F&G Hunter Education/Safety Course. I agree that it is really a good course for any new hunter, and a great refresher course for "old" hunters.
    And most of all, I'm sure it was some quality time you and your grandson. I hope he grows up to be a fine hunter and a quality guide.
    It certainly would not bother me for the Hunter Education/Safety Course to be required for all those who wish to apply for and receive limited entry area drawing permits.
    Does anyone know the minimum age required for a youngster to attend the course (under supervision of an adult)?
    (Yes I have attended, and even passed! The muzzleloader course was really fine also.)
    Dennis

Way to go, grandpa. Wish my grandson was living in the state with us. Keep 'em hunting..........Great way to start someone on a lifetime of adventure.....

Mike

Certainly was an enjoyable experience. One of the participants was eleven years old. In addition to the "classroom" presentation they did some shooting with .22s. Nice facility, well structured; and good information.
    Saw a number of young adults accompanied by parents. In my situation was able to take another young man in addition to my grandson. Hope to become more involved with the programs as I believe more are in the development stage. The whole program is a "win -win" situation.Thank you for the replies.
    Joe

We get some hunter ed out in the bush sometimes. Some larger vills have shooting ranges. Isn't there an online hunter ed course?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    We get some hunter ed out in the bush sometimes. Some larger vills have shooting ranges. Isn't there an online hunter ed course?
    I believe some of the courses are online. It is my understand the hunter ed program has been well received in some of the larger rural communities (not certain about the availability in smaller communities).
    Joe

Took my wife to do this a few years ago. I am looking forward to doing this with my kids as well...

The wife and I will hopefully be attending the bowhunter ed course next year and then I have 3 boys to get through hunter ed over the next 5 years so I will have a bunch of opportunities to attend. Good on you for being involved with the grandson and his friend! I sure wish my boys grandpa still lived in AK but hopefully we will all take a few trips down to visit him and chase some whitetails around one of these days.

Great write up Joe. I took three of my daughters a couple of years ago. One was 16, one was 13, the other 11. I had my 7 year old daughter with, but just didn't feel she was ready to go through the course, so she sat in with us, etc. Here in Tok, they did a good job with the course.

Here in Missouri, it is required to have taken a Hunter Safety Course before you can purchase any hunting permit. Ours is two days (or one VERY LONG) - total of 12 hours. Required for ALL hunters born AFTER 01/01/1968 (that would be me). Does not include an actual live fire testing (not sure why). I would have been exempt anyway- I have Rifle Shooting Instructor certification from NRA and a CCW (Concealed Carry) permit. Went with both my boys when they were old enough. I took the class along with my oldest son. This 'ole dog' learned a few new tricks also.

One thing I found interesting while in the service was that some states don't require the course for military if you have a copy of a hunting license from another state. That was true even if the license had expired in a few places.

Big thanks to all the hunter-ed instructors, some of the finest folks I know in the hunting community. Thanks for the post, Joe.