Thread: looking for help choosing a barnes bullet for brown bear

Default looking for help choosing a barnes bullet for brown bear

For now I'm looking for factory loads till I set up my reloading table. I will be using the round for brown bear any suggestions would be helpful, I don't know much about their offerings but I have heard good things about their products.

Which cartridge?

FWIW, I would delay your hunt until the Barnes Quadruple-Shock comes out in the next 24 months or so. Hunting during the next two years without it could be a mistake. Just kidding. Sorry.

In my view, TSXs and TTSXs are probably decent bets for DG if you have the right caliber and right cartridge pushing them at a decent velocity. It seems like the TSXs and TTSXs do better at higher velocities, while other bullets might do better at lower velocities. Over-simplified, but more info is needed to help you more.

I use the tsx 300gr in my 375 Ruger. Used it on the brn bear I got last spring and it worked very good.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I have used 270grn TSX's (and the original X's) out of my .375H&H with great results. I have shot three interior grizzlies with this bullet (one was mine and the other two were back-up shots for friends). All of my shots were within 100 yards, the bullet expanded perfectly, and blew right through each bear. The most recent bear (two years ago) immediately collapsed on the shot when I hit him...a rare moment, so don't count on that happening.

Doc

Those TSX's can be absolutely nasty. Last year, I put down my biggest black bear with one high shoulder shot at 240 yards. The bear was DRT and rolled into the high tide water

I've shot several critters with the 270 TSX in a 375 Ruger and have had nothing but fantastic results.

I've killed one brownie and backed up the killing of 3 others with 225 grain Barnes X bullets in 338 Win Mag. I now shoot the 225 grain Tipped TSXs but haven't killed anything with em yet.