Thread: Hunting Mills creek

Default Hunting Mills creek

Hi,
    Has anyone hunted goats in the mills creek area?
    Looking for a trail or good way up the mountain from the Moose pass side of the mountain,
    This is my first goat hunt, I have hunted sheep but never goats, help

Thank's

Default Mills Creek?

Is the Mills Creek Mt. Goat area that is bisected by Johnson Pass Trail?

Just look at your map. Wherever the steepest mountain sides are at, is where the mountain goats will be located.
    So you might jump on your bike and get four miles+- away from the roads to access the steep areas.
    My personal pref for the Mills Creek (and adjacent goat areas) area was to wait until Sept 23rd. At that time the billy goats decend from the no-mans land rocky tops, to the zone just above the Alder brush line. In late Sept the days are still long enough to get in a reasonable hunt each day, and therefore reducing the long tent-time nights of October. And at that time the air will be freezing at night and "pleasant" during the days, but the ground will not be frozen yet. And with the ground, the mountain sides, not yet frozen you can "edge your boots" into the steep slopes easier. Personally, I feel 100 times safer up at goat altitude in late Sept as opposed to early October. If your the "real deal" you should have multiple opportunities at shooter billies in that area.

So I would recommend a three or four day recon or scouting trip now, but I would plan a killing trip for late September.

...just my one cent of guidance...

Dennis

Default Mills creek

Thanks Denis,
    I live in kenai and have been up looking around a couple of times, have seen a few goats but it was early and they were way high, I get off work the 31st and am going to go scout it and maybe shoot a billy if I get the chance, I thought I might go down the Johnson lake trail and see if I can find a trail up from there,
    Someone said they thought there was a trail to the top somewhere on that side????

There is a mining road that takes you to the back of Mills Creek. The road leaves the Seward Hwy north of Moose Pass and goes over Canyon Creek. The creek is easy to ford. Look for the large gravel pit, just to the north of Summit Lake. The road takes off at the back of the gravel pit. Take the first drainage to the left as you go in about a mile. Always goats and black bears in that valley. Good Luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I helped a friend get his goat in Mills Creek a few years ago. We drove up the access road to the Alascom tower. This takes you part way up the mountain. We thought we would catch the goats in the lower cliffs just above the brush line. We ended up on top of the mountain and finally shot his billy across a small gorge. It started to rain the we had to go down the very steep drainage one at a time to get off the mountain. I have a new respect for that mountain.

A better way would be to go towards Anchorage a few miles and drive in the large gravel pit. You can walk up the backside of the mountain. The backside is much more gradual and has a lot less cliffs. If you can find water up high then you could stay for a few days and find the goat you want. Great accessible area and a cheap goat hunt. Good luck.

you can drive a Cadillac up that road if you know a miner with a key. We Mt. Bike back there.

are atvs allowed on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter83 View Post
    are atvs allowed on the trail?

No....only miners with active mines can get a permit to use the road, it really is more road than trail. otherwise it is walk or bike.

Thank you I will check it out.
    Thanks again to all..

since when is that road gated? i drove a wheeler in there last fall and there was no signs or gates. we drove all the way back to where the trail crosses mills creek, just past a small mine site.

Did you draw a tag or are you getting a registration permit and are going in november? I wanted to sheep hunt back in that area this year but got one somewhere else instead. I hiked in up the mountain behind summit lake to try and scout it out but the weather was too bad and the terrain was pretty steep right before i got to peak into the valley overlooking mills creek.

Quote Originally Posted by buckkunz View Post
    Did you draw a tag or are you getting a registration permit and are going in november?
    Highly unlikely that Mills Creek will be open for registration hunting in November. I would be first in line if it is, but it hasn't been opened in November in a number of years.