Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Havalon Baracuta?

  1. #1
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default Havalon Baracuta?

    i am a big fan of the piranta for hunting but I am not sure on this one. Thoughts??



    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-98848924.html

  2. #2
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    I have a few Piranta's and wonder how i ever got along so long without them..
    That Baracuta looks like a great knife, as long as it will flex without breaking. The Piranta blades tend to break fairly easy..
    I think i will order one of the Baracutas, probably will use it more on big game than fish though.

  3. #3
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    That looks pretty nice. I am looking into picking up a piranta for skinning and looks like that would be a pretty good option for boning as well as filleting.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    That looks pretty nice. I am looking into picking up a piranta for skinning and looks like that would be a pretty good option for boning as well as filleting.
    I was thinking along these same lines, the knife would be worth the $55 just for boning I think. If it is flexible and does well as a filet knife that would be a bonus. I can't see using it as a dedicated filet knife with the cost of the blades ($14 for 5) but It sure would have been nice on my 2008 moose hunt when we found that we camped next to a nice silver hole! Trying to filet a salmon with a serrated cutco was a nightmare!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    i am a big fan of the piranta for hunting but I am not sure on this one.
    X10 on the piranta! I let a buddy that has hunted here all his life use mine to skin his bou last week. The day we got home he ordered one.
    If it's anything like the piranta it should be a winner!

  6. #6
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    I looked at one at the Sportsman Show and didn't like what I saw - blade's too short, too limber. Maybe if I catch smaller fish?
    Good idea, but I'll pass until they come out with another model.

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I looked at one at the Sportsman Show and didn't like what I saw - blade's too short, too limber. Maybe if I catch smaller fish?
    Good idea, but I'll pass until they come out with another model.
    How sharp was the blade? Comparable to the piranta? If so it may be perfect for butchering moose.

  8. #8
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    How sharp was the blade? Comparable to the piranta? If so it may be perfect for butchering moose.
    Yes, very comparable. Might be good for moose. I'd still handle one before you buy it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •