Thread: Thoughts

Default Thoughts

Hello All-

I currently have a 05 Sportsman 500 HO, and have thought about giving it to my wife so I could upgrade. I have looked around at all the different models and have been able to find a 2010 Sportsman 800 EFI for $6100 out the door.

I want to jump on it, but from what I have read the MPGs are terrible. I know that this is a quad and you shouldn't worry about the MPGs, but I'm just worried because guys at work say they ride their quads 5 hrs in to go hunting, and I would just hate to have to carry 20 extra gallons of gas.

For the guys that have the 800, or know guys that have it, is it something that I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

KG

I get 10 mpg with my 800 big boss. Thats flat riding, no load. It gets about 8 or so if the going gets tough. It has a 4 gallon tank. 40 miles isnt alot of range. I guess it depends on how far your going to go.
    What Im going to do is fill up my tank and carry two of those 4 gallon flat packs of gas. That should give me 90 miles of range and some to spare. Im not going to go any farther than that and the two flat packs dont take up alot of space so it works for me.

I wasn't aware that the Polaris 800 got that poor of mileage. Can Am owners get almost double that. I have heard the ATV review guy on TV say more than a dozen times "Twice the age, twice the mileage!" I know when we're playing, we get a lot worse mileage. If you're in the bogs, well, you're certainly going to. Mileage is important up here. I'd like to know what other Polaris owners are getting. I've got a family member who owns one and at first, I thought his statements about his poor mileage were indicative of a problem (well, for his machine) and we're trying to troubleshoot it. Is this just the way it is? (I'm hoping not!)

Mileage on the Polaris 800 EFI appears to be highly dependant on 4 wheels vs. 6 wheels. My Ranger 4x4 gets an easy 20 mpg even loaded up on fairly level terrain. I don't use it on steep terrain or boggy trails so don't know how it would do there. The same engine in a 6x6 Polaris drops down less than 10 mpg just because of the extra diff and wheels.

'09 ranger 700efi 4x4 got 18.4 mpg last week. About half of the mileage was boggy / mud / tundra.

To me the 800 is just too big. Not that I wouldn't love the power but I just can't see where it would get me anywhere my 700efi wheeler can't. That and it would take 2x as much fuel to get to the same places! I am a big guy and would happily drive the most powerful wheeler I could and the $$ for gas isn't a worry for me honestly. The reason I don't is because it isn't worthwhile to have a wheeler that requires a rack full of fuel jugs to get where I like to go. I may make an exception for the 6x6 because the utility is a worthwhile tradeoff (at least I would have the cargo bed to fill w/ fuel). I would buy one immediately if they came out with a 6x6 with a 550 EFI!!

I have noticed that my 700 does get alot better mpg than the 800. We are running rangers but it's still an even comparison since we are all equally equipped and running the same trail. The 800's would be almost out of fuel when we get back compared to my just under half tank. I can run to the Big Oshetna and back on one tank of fuel but it is not boggy and a pretty easy run. when we run Shirley town trail I burn alot more.

Another aspect of the bigger motor is the increased chance of breaking axels and such. More power means more stress on the drive train. IMO