Thread: Ice Axe for Sheep Hunting?

Default Ice Axe for Sheep Hunting?

How many of you carry an ice axe while sheep or goat hunting? Wondering if it's worth the extra weight (about 1 lb).

Wayyyyy Worth The Weight!!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Depends where you go.

I've never taken one with me on a sheep hunt, but I haven't been into a lot of heavily glaciated terrain. There have been a couple times when I wished I had one. I always have two trekking poles. Look at your maps and make the decision. It should also get more consideration on a late season hunt.

Default ice axe

If you plan on hunting near or on a glacier than I would use one. The only problem I have is the weight, but more importantly is the metal ice axe makes a lot of noise.

I haven't taken one in the past, but am considering it for future hunts. I don't want to carry walking poles (many people do, however), but sometimes a little something would be nice on the climb or decent with a full pack. Even if you never get into glacier travel, the axe could help with support while climbing.

-Brian

Red face ice axes and walking sticks

if you are hunting on a glacier, or plan to cross one. it is a good thing to have and worth the weight. some of them are very light.

otherwise, a walking stick with a crook style handle may be of some help in a self arrest situation, at least until the plasitc breaks and you rocket of the cliff, l.o.l......

A good compromise between a walking stick and true ice axe is the Petzl Snowscopic. I've found mine to be quite handy on several hunts, mainly as a walking stick, but I have also hooked onto brush and rocks to help pull myself over an obstacle with a heavy pack.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/PTZ...e+with+trekkin

i don't hunt anywhere near glaciers but mine has been the best sheep money i've spent, next to my 6.25lb .416 rem...lol
    works for flattening tent sights out, leaning on when your side hilling, keeps one hand open for using optics or holding guns or just getting a grip, heading down hill with a load it'll save your rear, helps you have that thrid point on the ground for balance, works well for extendng your reach to pull your self up and over, you can kill ptarmigan with it. Chris batin writes about it and i used to make fun of him when he came to the ldoge i worked out, finally tried a trekin pole nad though that was great but it bent or would come untightened, went to barneys and got a 100cm walking axe..not an ice axe..walking axe..alot longer and man it goes with me everytime i hit a mountain...clients laugh until i ask them to hold it for 10 mintues then all of a sudden they want it..buggers.
    Master guide 212

Default Long Enough

BRWNBR, I think that's the one I was looking at. Is it long enough to provide some support while ascending and descending? I use a trekking pole now.

ya comes in 90-110 cm i think, great tool one of best i've ever purchased.
    Master guide 212

Default Petzl ice axe

I was at Barney's today. They have a collapsable ice ace/walking stick by Petzl that I would consider. I think walking sticks are about useless. They might be good for thowing off the cliff and lightening your load.

I did use the petzl axe once, and it was cool. Lightweight and handy. I might bring it on a rough hunt in the Chugach, but I doubt I'll take it to the Brooks Range this fall.

i saw that collaspable or telescoping one, and i've seen guys fold those trek pole right in half trying to catch their weight with a load on. i've been more than happy with my walking axe from barneys, i was in the same boat...what a waste of energy carrying that stupid stick, walkin' sticks are for pantywastes, i can handle walking without it, don't see any advantage to adding more weight to my pack!! we'll i'm eating crow in a big way now!! used it once on a goat hunt in PWS, went right out and bought one, take it on every mountain hunt now. find one a buddy has and try it out on a steep hill hike or something when your not commited to seven days humping it around. you won't even notice the weight, i never do, in fact i get bummed if i don't have it.
    Master guide 212

Default trek pole

Up until this last year I never used a trek pole before, I thought it was a waste of time. I did use my metal ice axe once and found it to be a pain in the butt. My opinion has changed! I don't think a person needs 2 of them but one is worth its weight in gold if you have a sheep in the pack. I will never hunt sheep/goat again without one.

Default Ice Axes

Didn't use an ice axe for many years. Now I am pretty old and need one just to get around with no cartilage in my knees. An ice axe is mandatory now. But there are many uses for it. Used one when me, my client and packer were crossing the ice above the deadly shoot at the far end of East Fork Eklutna: we chipped out foot holds for making it a "safer crossing". Every sheep hunt I have been on with one I have used it to level an area to pitch my tent and sleep better. I use it to prop my backpack up and put a garbage bag over it at night to keep it dry. This also can work as a backrest when sitting on the tundra. Mostly, though it is a force multiplier for my aging legs and knees.

Thumbs up petzl collapsing ice axe/ walking stick

does anyone have the one sold at barney's? has anyone actually used it.

opinions please?

i too fall into the category of who needs a walking stick i am a young strong guy. i tried a walking stick on last years sheep hunt for the first time and now i am a beleiver.

i don't have the colaspable one or however you spell it seemed like 300lbs leaning on it might not be the best...
    Master guide 212

Default Ice Axe-

They're pretty handy for stream crossings, too! One area I hunt we have to cross multiple times a day, and the axe is really handy for that.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    i too fall into the category of who needs a walking stick i am a young strong guy. i tried a walking stick on last years sheep hunt for the first time and now i am a beleiver.
    When you get old like me you'll believe in two of them. :-D

Thumbs up Barney's axe

I have used one of the Barney's axes since 2000, and it goes with me on every mountain trip. Even day trips. It has been used to clear a pad for the tent, climbing alder slopes, crossing waterways, propping packs up, and the much needed extra stability when packing a full load of meat. I even used it as a rest one fall up in the Brooks to shoot a wolf. Once you try one, you won’t go back.

I can't hunt sheep or goats any more. The legs are almost gone, but I still take my REI Ice Axe every time I leave the pavement. It has prevented my taking bad falls many times. I've used it with various applications in making camp. I've used it on open ground for a tieoff stake when gutting and skinning. It's just one of those pieces of equipment that is so versitle that I wouldn't think of going somewhere without it.
    Dan