Thread: Unit 13 early hunt (3 brow tine)

Default Unit 13 early hunt (3 brow tine)

Any of you get something on the early opening (15-25) in Unit 13?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Didnt try that hard. Just went for a day, Saw 6-8 cows, 1 40 inch bull with 2 brows. another little paddle bull. Almost thought he was legal, but he had a weird drop tine coming off his main. I looked at him hard thinking it might be just a flap of velvet. Saw a legal fork but he was probably a mile away and it would have been nasty packing him out. I didnt have my pack anyway. I did hear some shots, but saw nothing being worked on or hauled out. Parking lot looked like the state fair had rolled in.

RF- parking lot where? denali, eureka, hub..lol.. these places have been UGLY for a couple weeks now

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Went out for the opening day. It actually was not as busy as I expected where I went. Saw 9 cows, 3 calves, 2 two brow tine bulls, 1 bull with 2 brow tines plus some junk on the left (not quite enough junk to make it a legal tine), another mid size bull but to far off to count tines, and believe it or not a little three inch spike that I let walk. I have nothing against little bulls - taken several of them. But his little guy was hanging out with the "junk" bull I spoke of and he just looked so little next to him. I watched him from a high vantage point and in shooting range off and on throughout the morning. Just could bring myself to squeeze the trigger on him. I decided there was a lot of hunting left to be done, and did not want to end the year on August 15th for such a little moose. Then again, maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.

With no other moose hunting open anywhere this weekend I figured it would be a mad house and decided to take care of some home chores instead of joining the masses.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

It's ridiculous right now ,, moose hunters are crossing the lake now , (they couldve taken the trail..lol )

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    RF- parking lot where? denali, eureka, hub..lol.. these places have been UGLY for a couple weeks now
    Secret spot....

So speeking of crowds. I usually avoid these high traffic areas. But after what I witnessed I would say 90% of the people out there have no clue what they are doing or just dont care. Moose Hunting just seems like an excuse to most people to get out and drink beer and tear it up with a wheeler for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Secret spot....

So speeking of crowds. I usually avoid these high traffic areas. But after what I witnessed I would say 90% of the people out there have no clue what they are doing or just dont care. Moose Hunting just seems like an excuse to most people to get out and drink beer and tear it up with a wheeler for a day.
    This is what I've been hearing as well. This unit is the only show in town right now so every weekend warrior is going to be there.

I am only hoping that things have quieted down a bit when I get to go for when the old opening morning used to be you know the first of SEPTEMBER! The one published in the book.

I love how the rules changed after the fact. IMO this hunt was a horrible idea for so many reasons.

I am thinking of switching hunt plans now due to all of the ruckus up there. I only wish I would have known earlier that this would happen so I could have made a hunt plan elsewhere.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Any of you get something on the early opening (15-25) in Unit 13?
    several good hunt reports already posted on this hunt!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I had a student show up yesterday who missed the first two days of school due to moose hunting. They took 4 bulls over the first four days of the season on a well known trail off the Glenn Highway.

52" 2/2 and 52" 3/4. Both in velvet. Standing next to each other.

Also one 6.5sq bear that that was dumb enough to show his face around camp.

Checked by F&G on the highway. He was very professional and thorough. Complimented us on our meat care even

Weather was perfect. Bogs were deep. Not too many bugs. Overall a great trip even though it was cut short by high temps.

Heading back for more on the 1st

Makes me glad that I keep the spirit of the freighter canoe with a lift "Alive". I'll be so far out there, four-wheelers won't even exist. Two days of lining the boat up smaller little creeks, and even the jet boats won't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Makes me glad that I keep the spirit of the freighter canoe with a lift "Alive". I'll be so far out there, four-wheelers won't even exist. Two days of lining the boat up smaller little creeks, and even the jet boats won't exist.
    I just got a mental image of you just finished dragging your tub up on the bank of some small creek sitting there enjoying your remoteness while whiping the sweat of your brow, when the thrum of a sportjet breaks the silence and TJM with that new wooldridge rip around the corner and go tearing past.

Well, I'm hoping all the 'weekend warrior' slobs are doing it up right now, before school. I'll be up there on the 5th-9th on my not so secret secret spot, enjoying the cooler weather and (hopefully) smaller crowds. From what I'm hearing, the moose numbers seem good this year. Anyone strongly agree? Anyone strongly disagree?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

no opinion...lol

Saw two bulls harvested within 5 miles of the parking lot at eureka on Friday. We were just out for a day ride and stalked a two brow tine 36 incher at 2:00 in the afternoon. Lots of retrieval trails in the brush as well. Lots of freezers getting filled early this year. The parking lots at eureka, puritan, and pinochle were all full Friday evening.

Was approached by troopers in the parking lot. He asked me what I was doing, I told him we were going for a ride and he said have a nice day and started to walk away. I then told him if we see a moose we would probably shoot it and would he like to see our tags. So when the thread starts in October about troopers demanding to see lisences I can call BS. They were very friendly and profesional.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Definitely not the only game in town now...Petersville was a ZOO today (but only after everyone slept in)...

Took a 38" 3 brow tine bull on the 15th, saw a lot of people but not that many moose hunting were I was. Most of the people we saw were either caribou hunting or just out for a ride. We saw a total of 13 moose, the bull I shot with another 2 brow tine bull, a spike and 10 cows. The bugs were not too bad, I've seen a lot worse.