Thread: elliot highway hunt 2010

Default elliot highway hunt 2010

well we got back from our dm701 antlerless moose hunt on wednesday, and with something to show for it! we hunted hard off of the highway for 3 days, and as luck would have it, we ended up shooting both animals on the drive out! i guess things just work out like that sometimes! the first one happened to be my first black bear.

we pulled out of our spot on the 4weelers at about 730 tuesday, tired and without a moose. Once we were back on the highway, we spotted the our friends who were hunting the road in the meantime. we drove up and talked to them for a few minutes, and then continued our 5 mile drive back to the truck. as we come around the corner into the gravel pullout where the trucks are parked, i hear my dad yell, "RYAN! BEAR!" i wasted no time getting off and running up to where my dad was stopped. since my gun was strapped on the atv and under some things, my dad was kind enough to hand me his 300 ultra mag without even thinking. we stepped off of the road very quickly and i raised the gun and let him have it! i hit him a little to far back but for a standing shot on a moving target it couldnt have been much better. I ran back and got my 30-06 off the wheeler and we began the hunt for the bear. about 10 minutes later, we spotted him in some bushes. one more shot with the 06 and he was done! I had my first bear! Hes not huge, probably about 5 foot or so, but his hide is in spectacular shape. we later discovered that he was so close to the truck because our friends had set a trash bag in the back of our truck! now we have several claw marks on the side of the truck and after the kill we saw the garbage strewn about the back. this bear will be extremely memorable to say the least! I cant wait to get it back from fosters!

But wait, the story gets better...

so if you look at the dm701 hunt map, you'll notice that at the eastern end of the elliot, theres a small finger of legal area that comes down to the highway. it only covers about a mile of road, right by the tolovana. on the way back home, only hours after shooting the bear, something close to a miracle happened. we were about to pass through our 1 mile of legal zone on the highway, when our friends come through on the radio and say, "ok, heres that one spot. look real hard for moose!" and sure enough, right on the western side of the tolovana sat a MONSTER cow moose. our friends got out, walked into the bushes, and took the shot! moose down baby! it couldnt have been in a better spot. i think we were the most shocked people on the planet at that point. and what made it even better is that it was one of the biggest cows any of us had ever seen. it was every bit of 1000 lbs.

AWSOME HUNT!

the pics are coming soon. im still trying to figure out how to upload them. this is my first time doing it since the forum was changed a while back
    Ryan from Wasilla

here ya go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan from Wasilla

heres what he did to the back of our truck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan from Wasilla