Thread: Early Season success!!!

Default Early Season success!!!

Took advantage of a day off and went for an early morning stroll at about 0445 this morning. Went for a lil scouting of moose and brought the shotgun in case I flushed out any grouse. Well, after an hour I heard the familiar sound of the thunderous wing flapping and it was on. While I had been crawling around the hills and sliding down shale I managed to get dirt in my gun and did not even think to check, on the first flush I went to fire and all I heard was "click"!!! Chambered another one and it was good to go,there were a few more, but I chose not to pursue them.
    grouse.jpg

Well done! Still hot up there?

Nice job! I'm planning to take my son out for some grouse this weekend.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Nice birds and nice 500, I have the same one!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Well done! Still hot up there?
    it was about 45 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Nice birds and nice 500, I have the same one!
    So do I, and it's accounted for every bit of game that has been on my dinner table since I moved here in '06. Nothing wrong with a good old mossy twelve!

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    So do I, and it's accounted for every bit of game that has been on my dinner table since I moved here in '06. Nothing wrong with a good old mossy twelve!
    I thought about selling her, but couldnt bring myself to do it. I think it will be the one passed down in my family. Very reliable and cost efficient.

Yeah, I gave away my .300 win mag, and the 450 Marlin is still at the gun smith's, so I will probably even wind up using my 12 gauge for moose this year if I can get a shot at one. Stoke it with 600 gr. brenneke slugs and it will drop anything.

I am new to grouse hunting but have shot a few in the palmer hay flats area. It is always hit and miss there for me. I tend to take a few only while going for hares. Is there any place near Wasilla that has great grouse hunting? Or a good place in the flats that any one knows about. I tend to hunt the hay flats a lot for hare but seldom come across grouse. Any tips and areas would help me out. Thanks!