Thread: Bear fence

Default Bear fence

I am looking at getting a bear fence and not rent one any more for Kodiak hunts. Any input on what kind is a good one or pros and cons to consider? Thanks for any input.

i would suggest looking on some equine/horse or farm related web sites, i know of several people that use them when horseback camping. most units have a solar pannel & battery system & pending on the weight of the battery that would limit how mobile you will be, as for voltage it depends on the unit & its output in relation to how much of a zap you'll give ol'brownie. not sure of the cost for pre-rigged units for bears but the units made for horses could easily be modified to work as a bear deterrent, hope this helps you out.

I have known several people that have pieced together systems, hard to save much money really because the lightweight energizers are expensive. I have used a fence made by UDAP, light, EZ to setup and plenty large enough for a tent and raft. Used it around my sheep basecamp last week. 2 D batteries last for 2 weeks or more.

They are available to check out at MWR on base and I am considering taking one on my upcoming float hunt, however they look like a pain to put up and take down every day. How long did that take you to set up stid?

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    They are available to check out at MWR on base and I am considering taking one on my upcoming float hunt, however they look like a pain to put up and take down every day. How long did that take you to set up stid?
    Takes no more than 10 minutes, a little more if you have to clear any brush. I only use mine if I'm leaving camp unattended. Know of at least 2 groups that have had their camp rolled by bears while they were out hunting. I do also sleep better with it in high density bear areas.

Default Beer fence??

Admittedly Stid's may be more effective but this one is much more fun to set up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have known several people that have pieced together systems, hard to save much money really because the lightweight energizers are expensive. I have used a fence made by UDAP, light, EZ to setup and plenty large enough for a tent and raft. Used it around my sheep basecamp last week. 2 D batteries last for 2 weeks or more.
    Yikers Stid, be careful if you get up late at night in the dark to take a leak....you could well short circuit your personal equipment....
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Nice AK Guide Tent. One of my favortie possessions.

Instead of a fence, I decided just to set up 8 Claymore Mines around the permiter. Just kidding. Nice setup.

I have the same fence stid has. Very nice and lightweight, perfect for remote fly ins. We added some 5"x8" mesh rock bags and 8' of 550 cord to stake ours out on gravel bars. The kit fits in a bag about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle. Very nice little kit.

http://www.udap.com/BearShockFences.htm

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think you're onto the right path. You can set up your own for about the cost of renting one for a week. Check with the local feed stores (horse supplies), they usually have this stuff. This is the controller that I'm looking at for doing the same thing. It runs on 4 D cells. http://www.zarebasystems.com/product...ls.aspx?id=247. Lightweight fiberglass poles, a grounding rod, some fence wire, flagging tape (so you don't walk into it at night), and you're just about set. When I finally get mine built, I'll post it here somewhere.

These were posted on another thread and look like an interesting addition to a bear fence;

http://www.amazon.com/Amtek-Critter-...2502864&sr=8-1

Yeah, that was me. I use the Critter Gitters at times. They run on a 9 volt battery. Slick little motion detectors and are very loud. Simple product that does what it is supposed to.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    One other thing....

Critter Gitters

Makes a nice addition to electric fence poles. One on each corner facing one another. Use duct tape or mini bungee cords to hold in place. Ziplocks for water protection with rubber bands to hold them in place around the bottom of the units. Might give you more time to get your wits about yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Amtek-Critter-.../dp/B0028PEQZU
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I use the same the charger for my set-up. I purchased it from e-bay. For a fence that covers enough area to put up four wall tents I spent $180.00!

So guys that high pitched chirp out of the UDAP system doesn't seem to attract anything? I had misgivings about it when I checked them out.

I use the Zareba, it only makes a clicking sound.

I have the same fencer that the UDAP system utilizes and I was worried about the chirp at first, too. I don't think it attracted anything at all, but it is nice to hear it at night so you know it's working while you're sleeping. I definitely get a better night's sleep with that fencer running. Incidently, we had both moose and caribou bedded down within a couple hundred yards of camp with the fencer chirping, so I don't think it bothers them in the least.

I got my setup at the Fence Emporium in Palmer for about half the price of the UDAP system. The Fence Emporium has a bunch of different types of fence posts, depending on what type of ground you're going to be set up in -- step in type with metal stakes for hard ground, big round posts for sand, etc. The other thing I would suggest is a cheap fence tester to make sure everything is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    So guys that high pitched chirp out of the UDAP system doesn't seem to attract anything? I had misgivings about it when I checked them out.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I use the Zareba, it only makes a clicking sound.
    Thats the one I bought it works first class on an 1100 pound horse and really well on our dogs
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Could you have an issue with something walking into your tie outs and pulling your fence down. My pole supports I hammer into the ground at an outward angle and the fence wire pulls my poles vertical no tie outs needed
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Here's the system I just put together:

Dare Sentry 140 electric fence charger (0.35 Joules, 1.6 lbs not counting the 4 D-cell batteries): $93
    650' Fi-Shock Polywire: $37
    6 fiberglass fence posts with insulators built in: $24

I do a fair amount of back country camping for work in high bear density areas using pretty much the same set-up, only difference being we use the Zareba Yellow Jacket fence charger. My primary reason for selecting the DS140 for personal use was it maintains 4,000 volts on the line whereas the Zareba YJ maintains 1,000 volts on the line. We buy all our work fencing supplies from the Fence Emporium in Palmer if folks are looking for someplace in the Valley that carries these items.

Jeff