Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose habitat

Default Moose habitat

Afternoon folks,

I am primarily a caribou hunter but was lucky enough to get drawn for a moose (cow) tag this year. I have spent many months in the hunt prep but have a final question for all the exceptional moose hunters out there..... I understand the basics of moose habitat but like I said, I'm a cariobou guy...

I have attached a pic of my hunt area with three possible lakes for a float plane drop... this is the interior and I am just looking for a cow to fill the freezer... so which lake looks the most "moosey" for habitat?? If you were flying in which lake would you pick??

thanks in advance everybody..

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moose eat willow, willow bark, Willow buds, & birch buds, they also eat grasses, & aquatic succulants...should you find a river, you'll see moose browse sign, & tracks, sometimes you'll see "funnels" where moose use a multi use trail to cross the river/slough in order to get to the other side, could be a beaver slide sight.

Without a doubt, Lake #1. Water and close cover as well as a dry place to camp.

1st lake, looks like there is more cover.

Have you had anyone actually do an aerial scout of this area with as much rain as we have had this summer more so within the last month that entire area is liable to be completely swamped and underwater. Espically with the amount of water already present there and on the bottom left that appears to be a bend in a larger river or creek. The area I tagged along in a hunt in 2006 looked very promising as we say many moose and bulls there and I drove up to scout it a few weeks ago and it was a swamp. So before getting dead set on the area I would see if there are any pilots heading in or around the area to check it out for you as I have seen many areas this summer completely swamped that never have been before at least in the last 5 years I have been here.

I'm saying lake 3 just because there looks to be a trail right next to lake 1 and you might get more company than you want. Either lake 1 or 3 looks to be good. Lake 2 dos'nt show to much green around it. The other thing I see is that there looks to be alot of swamp around lake 1. Lake 3 looks more like it is on solid ground but the moose have a lot more places to go for water.

OHHH No...Rock Skipper just got ate by the bear in Lake #3, next contestant please... :P

I haven't been able to recon the area from a plane ($) But I could glass the flats from the highway in the southeast part of the picture.... the trail that is running close to lake #1 is the Ak railroad... folks shouldnt be using that as an access point... BUT... you know how that goes :-)

thanks for the input, keep it coming :-)

Greg

Sorry AK I just got ate by a bear. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Sorry AK I just got ate by a bear. lol
    hahaha.... nahh, see my profile pic?? I got her!!

LOL, hey a guy could make a video game out of this one, Contestant #1 is mauled, but how many other players are still in the field? Just kidding. The reason I picked #3 in the first place was if it was a fly in hunt, the ground is better, more ponds to chose from, and knowing that all ponds don't have the same feed that the moose are looking for. You still have your cover,( better than lake#1) and more than one place to look. Around any lake you will find willows, but most of the time you will find the moose in the water in the morning or the evening eating whats on the bottom. My 2 cents, but thats coming from the guy that is getting draged off to be buried screaming that he just seen a 65" bull. lol

Not enough definition / detail in this photo to make a determination.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Not enough definition / detail in this photo to make a determination.

-Mike
    Yeah this is about the best resolution I can get out of the Google Earth view :-(

G

try www.bingmaps.com it has WAY better resolution than Google earth and if they did a fly over it may have birds eye view which is crazy resolution I can see myself in my driveway on birdseye view for my house address

If I have to take a pick, I'd pick Lake #1. Seems there are some surrounding wetlands/swamp which usually provides good forage. However, from the air...looks can be deceiving.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Here is lake 1 and its surroundings.. up close

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...&phy=0&phscl=0

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would say they are all moosey enough. All things being equal, I would consider Lake 3 as it's considerably farther from the Parks Highway (you mentioned you might get company at Lake 1 which is only a mile off the road).

It is impossible to really tell in these pics but lake 2 may be a little higher and depending on the time of year that the pics were taken that could be loads of willow around it. I bet they all have moose around them but if it were me I would plan a fly over to check out lake 2 to see what the habitat looked like, if it is baren ground as some seem to think then I would continue on and hunt lake. Topo of the area would help significantly, that photo shows very little depth and finding good glassing points is benneficial. Also when are you going?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lake 1, i have found that the mountain that i hunt the moose will go high during the day, especially early in the season. and come down at night to frolic and feed. you are looking for some place you can get high up and be able to spot some distance aways with hard woods for cover. #2 appears to be swamp, and though they do head there to feed they will bed down on the higher ground.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Here is lake 1 and its surroundings.. up close

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...&phy=0&phscl=0
    I still say #1 but from this view lake 3 looks better than before. I was about to call Rock Skipper nuts for picking #3 but now I'm not so sure. No offense Rock. I do see a well used trail going in to #1 from the RR tracks.

I dont know, I'll be interested to hear a trip report whichever lake you choose. As any moose hunter will agree you have to think like a moose and use your gut instinct. Mine is still telling me #1 I've never had a problem finding the moose so I think I can say my gut is calibrated??

If it were me, I would not even consider #2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast