Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The classiest factory bolt Rifle I've ever laid eyes on: Steyr Mannlicher Classic

Default The classiest factory bolt Rifle I've ever laid eyes on: Steyr Mannlicher Classic

Although my full length stocked CZ carbine is a classy (to me) rifle at a good price.......... this Steyr is stunning.
    In 9.3x62 mauser, it would be one heck of a rifle to hunt with.

I often wonder what the price tag would be on this bad boy:
    http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/h...apons/classic/

mannlicher.jpg

going rate seems to be 3k although I did some research and havent found one listed in that caliber were you just saying that if it were in that caliber it would be a great hunter or it was in that caliber?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=185943091
    ^^ there is a .243 and the largest one I have seen forsale was at impact guns and it was a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    going rate seems to be 3k although I did some research and havent found one listed in that caliber were you just saying that if it were in that caliber it would be a great hunter or it was in that caliber?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=185943091
    ^^ there is a .243 and the largest one I have seen forsale was at impact guns and it was a 30-06
    well......continue your research and click the link that I provided, go to technical data, and view the block of cartridges avail. for the full (stock) length model.

Touche.... defiantly a beauty too rich for my blood however one day perhaps until then I must stick to my Remington 700 BDM lol.

Uh Oh!.......it might be a toss up! Sako's got style too...........

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08-20-2010 at 14:45. Reason: bla bla bla

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Although my full length stocked CZ carbine is a classy (to me) rifle at a good price.......... this Steyr is stunning.
    In 9.3x62 mauser, it would be one heck of a rifle to hunt with.

I often wonder what the price tag would be on this bad boy:
    http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/h...apons/classic/

mannlicher.jpg
    I'm not sure of the make, but a friend of mine recently dropped a very large Kodiak brown bear with a mannlicher rifle in 8 mm something - or - other. I love the look of those stocks on quality rifles. Maybe someday....

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have to wonder tho how those are on accuracy? Is the stock free floated or is it physically touching the barrel all the way down? It seems with some temperature change or a nice wet day to add some humidity to the stock it would have a noticeable impact on it.

aww dang it!

thanks for teasin me with that image......that paticular rifle when it's wet!

it would have "a noticeable impact".......on me!

hap

Cannot like that humped comb Euro stock...

Classy is in the "eye of the beholder," but for my part I just can't take to a full length stock. Not to mention the detachable magazine relief cut and the magazine itself simply scream at me. I much prefer the earlier Mannlicher Schoenauer with a half stock & rotary magazine; to each his own.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    "I like big butts and I cannot lie, you otha brothas can't deny"

-General George Washington, January 6th, 1759
    Are you sure ole George said that? It sounds more recent....

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Are you sure ole George said that? It sounds more recent....
    He is correct it was Big George himself and it has been misconstrued through history that he was a slave owner when in fact he was just a PIMP!

I'd take your CZ hands down over the new M-S or Sako. Now an older M-S or possible a FS Husky, now your talking.

I don't like the fruity Eurostocks.

Aside from that, what is the point of all that lumber going all the way to the bore? Does it serve a function? Or does it just add weight and keep the bottom of the barrel warmer than the top?

I like those M-S stocked rifles especially that Sako...classy. Probably not the best shooters in general but I've seen a couple of old Mannlichers that would flat out shoot.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The CZ with that kinda stock would suit me fine. Too bad, they stopped making it in 7x57.

One time ago, I talked to one of the guys who worked at Great Northern Guns. He had both a 7x57 AND a 9.3x62. What a combination.

I LOVE the humped comb Euro FL stocks.

The Mannlicher Schoenauer with rotary magazines are fine rifles, but the bolt handle is far forward and IIRC, the receivers are split. They are more like collectors items than practical rifles nowadays.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I could never,ever take something that pretty to the field and I'm not much into guns as pieces of art so just hanging one on the wall to look at is out. When I go the field chances are very good that the gun I grab is going to have a walnut stock. The chances are just as good that it's going to be wearing a few battle scars when it leaves the house and is apt to come home with some new ones.......they give it character. I might be OK if I were the second owner and the first owner had already devirginized it with a few hickeys...I'm the same way with trucks.

My grand daughter recently did a report on ole George. Seems the internet has a whole lot more history concerning the old buzzard than I was ever taught in school.....he did like fat chicks!

I am not sold on the full length stock but the lines of the action on the Steyer is absoultly sexy. The Sako is a troll next to it!!

i have shot full stocked rifles & carbines..........some of them were excellent. i had (sigh) a ruger .308 old model 77 international that would shoot 4 shot groups nearly touching. the fifth shot always went high and left so i sold it. anyway, fine wood will alwayse appeal to me. remember jack o'connors rifles? he used them everywhere with-out a thought. worked for him!

*elmer: beware of those folks that want to re-write history.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The Mannlicher Schoenauer with rotary magazines are fine rifles, but the bolt handle is far forward and IIRC, the receivers are split. They are more like collectors items than practical rifles nowadays.

Smitty of the North
    I don't disagree with your assessment overall Smitty, but the post was about classy not practical. I'd say that most überclassy items are not the most practical of their kind whether they be cars, shoes, women or rifles. I would add that a receiver sight on a M-S (a scope would be anathema) is fairly practical and the rifles themselves ooze style & charisma which seems to be a pretty good definition for "classy."
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast