Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have accessories?

Default Must have accessories?

Ok, so I have all of the standard fare stuff, Mud lites, heated grips, winch and even have fancy rims and a gun boot. Now I am starting to think that some sort of dry storage would be nice to have. A buddy of mine had a rack box and it was super nice to be able to just pop the lid and toss things like gloves in it. The problem I see is that with a box in place where do you put big things? I was considering a big trunk for the back but the more I think about it a low profile front rack box would probably serve just as well without eating up my hauling space as much. I also thinking about putting a bolt on extended rack on the back.

So what I am looking for is pros and cons and what you have found works for you.

Here is what I am looking at so far. (I have not seen either of these in person)

http://www.discountramps.com/kolpin-...-drop-rack.htm

http://www.discountramps.com/atv-fro...go-storage.htm

I would just buy a dry box that you can bunge onto the rack. Then you can move it out of the way when hauling bigger stuff.

Next, I would get rid of those fancy rims and get some ugly steel ones. Those fancy rims have a bad habit of cracking or breaking at the worst times. Steel doesnt break like aluminum and if you bend a bead you can beat it back with a rock if you need and keep on wheelin. I broke a aluminum rim last year 50 miles back in the woods and got lucky that it still held air. I also witnessed another guy have a fist size rock roll on the inside of his rim till it hit his break caliper and punched a hole into the rim. This is a common problem with fancy rims.

I saw a guy with the rear drop rack and that looked pretty cool. Kind of like having a bed for the ATV.

I run with a hard box on the front rack and I love it and never miss having the ability to strap things to the front. The box keeps my emergency gear, food, clothes etc. dry and clean and holds lots of stuff securely. I've got a wooden box that my fiance built me for my rear rack that I use when I need to haul stuff securely (like gas cans) but right now it's off and I have a bungee net to hold down anything I toss back there. I haven't carried anything on the back this year- too muddy. Everything goes in the front box.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Do you have a pic of the box you are using? I am thinking about the one I posted since it is low profile and I think the lower center height would help to keep items from sliding back and forth across it though it does cost some storage space.

I just use the "small" size action packer on the front rack it will keep everything clean and dry unless you some how submerge it then you have bigger problems than the contents of that box being wet you can still fit quite a bit of stuff in there and I still can see over it sitting comfortably.

I have done the action packer deal but have never found a good way to strap it down where I could still get to stuff in it quickly. I loathe dealing with bungee cords constantly and eliminating that is a big part of my goal. Have you found a good way to strap one down so that you can still get into it?

yeah I used a little bit of innovation to get it attached because I like you wanted to be able to access my things without undoing a bunch of bungees to I cut a small piece of ply wood i think it was 1/8th inch or 1/4 in. and put screws through the inside of the action packer bottom to attach the plywood to the bottom for stability. then I drilled holes through the bottom and ply wood and bolted it to the rack it has been that way for over a year and I ride my 4wheeer often and it has been solid and even with heavy loads it was fine. I tried to just bolt it on without the ply wood on the bottom and it cracked the plastic when I tightened the U- bolts thus the reason for attaching the plywood. Only problem is it is semi-permanent so you cant just take it off if you want to although it does not take long to remove about 15 minutes TOPS to remove it would be easier if there was clearance for a ratchet so im stuck doing 1/4 turns with a cresent wrench

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Do you have a pic of the box you are using? I am thinking about the one I posted since it is low profile and I think the lower center height would help to keep items from sliding back and forth across it though it does cost some storage space.
    Well crud- I was going to post a pic for you but I have no idea how to do it. It used to be you could just attach a pic, but now it wants a web address. I don't know how to do that.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The easiest way to post pics to any forum is to set up a photobucket account. Their site is really easy to use and lets you upload a whole bunch of pics to it. From their site just click on the photo you want to post here. When it opens there will be several lines of html code next to it. All you need to do is click on the one that starts with [img] and it will copy it for you automatically. Then just past the link in to the quick replay box and it will display the pic when you hit the post button. The whole process takes 5-10 minutes to set up and after you set it up you won't need to do anything but log in to use it in the future.

Also if you upload pics to your profile on this forum you will see the same line of code that you can copy and paste to display an image in a thread. Photobucket gives you a much larger storage capacity though!

Here is a pic of the boxes we use. It is called an SUV box. We get them at Walmart for around 25 or 30 bucks. It is held on with 2 ratchet straps that go down under the rack and back up. Takes about a minute to put it on or take it off. lid is held closed with a bungie through the pad lock holes on the back. I will take some better pictures tonight and post them tomorrow if anyone wants.P1020272 (Medium).JPG

Some better pics would be much appreciated! I like the way that looks and it sounds like a great answer to additional dry storage that could be removed easily. I am thinking one of those w/ the rear extended drop rack and a hard mounted box on the front would give me about the most flexibility.

I am also going to need to come up with a comfy/safe way for my pup to ride on the back at some point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am also going to need to come up with a comfy/safe way for my pup to ride on the back at some point as well.
    I have tried just strapping a big tote to the back rack with a carpet in the bottom. My shorthair lasted about 2 minutes and ended up just running along the whole way. 30 miles in and 30 miles out the next day.

Here is another accessorywinch hook.JPG; probably the cheapest one you can find. It is a loop of strap tied to the front rack to hold your winch hook. Keeps you from having to dig down in the water or mud to get to you hook.

Another thing we are planning on doing is taking off the double cable clamp and making the loop of cable the hook is on bigger so it can slip over the ball hitch of the wheeler pulling you out. You would just slide the hook to the side and drop the loop over the ball.

One of the coolest ways I've seen for carrying a dog was a guy in Talkeetna took a round heavy duty laundry tub, bolted it to the back rack, cut it down a little on one side for an entry, and lined it with a blanket. The sides were high enough around that the dog could either lay down or stand up without being tossed out, and if things got really hairy (like a rollover) the dog could escape because it was not tied in.

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    Here is another accessorywinch hook.JPG; probably the cheapest one you can find. It is a loop of strap tied to the front rack to hold your winch hook. Keeps you from having to dig down in the water or mud to get to you hook.

Another thing we are planning on doing is taking off the double cable clamp and making the loop of cable the hook is on bigger so it can slip over the ball hitch of the wheeler pulling you out. You would just slide the hook to the side and drop the loop over the ball.
    OK here is the cable loop thing.P1040021 (Medium).JPGP1040022 (Medium).JPG

Here is the cargo box.P1040026 (Medium).JPGP1040027 (Medium).JPG

More box pics.P1040028 (Medium).JPGP1040031 (Medium).JPG

Last one.P1040032 (Medium).JPGP1040035 (Medium).JPG

Thanks RC! Tough, cheap and quick, can't beat that!! Were the holes for the ratchet straps existing or did you have to drill them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast