Thread: Questions about a 16' C-Dory

Default Questions about a 16' C-Dory

MY grandpa had a stroke a few years ago and is definitely not capable of operating his boat (16' C-Dory w/ 45 horse honda). Grandma has had it up for sale for a while and it hasnt sold. Finances are no issue for them; she's just trying to take care of a 'loose end' so to speak. She's asked if I would want to hold on to it so it could stay in the family. I've been getting very interested in ocean fishing and crabbing out of Whittier lately and am really considering it.

So, my question is, is this boat adequeate for fishing out of Whittier? I would never go any further than Knight or Port Nellie. I just dont know much about ocean boats yet. I've gone on the Kenai almost every year with my Dad, but have only Jet-skied in PWS or caught rides with people. Would it be worth accepting or would it be a ridiculous boat to run out of Whittier? I know they ran it out of Valdez a lot but grandpa was a master boater. What do you think?
    boat.jpg
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

16' is on the small side for my liking, but it's all about weather, sea conditions and your experience and abilities to deal with whatever mother nature and fate throw at you while out on the water. Bottom line is that it's do-able, but all things are relative.

Pick your days and run it. Don't overload it and don't do anything stupid. I've seen worse options that are larger. That's a sturdy little boat.

First of all, it's too bad about your grandfather's stroke. Some day they'll be dealing with my C-dory. I'm putting everything I can into a 7 year old grandson and hope to have the timing work in my favor to gracefully switch from me taking him fishing to him taking me fishing.
    They are sturdy boats but don't be decieved into thinking "i'll only go out to Knight" or anywhere else for that mater unless you are very weather concious and willing to lay over if needed. I've seen water that was borderline for my 25 foot C-dory 10 feet out of the harbour at Whittier!!!
    The other side of this is that your right in that happy place size wise to head for Kenai or Hidden lake down on the penn, if the ocean water is to lumpy.
    Become familiar with the NOAA site, save it to your favorites and watch it closely. Once you figure out how to read the discussion W/ glossery in the left colume, you'll be on your way to understanding what's going on and should be able to make credible calls.
    I'm set up as well as anyone out there for shrimping and run a conservative amount of gear. I have to wonder just how much room you'll have in that cockpit for gear etc.
    And lastly, I see folks all the time in pretty skinny craft out a long ways. Lot's of open flat bottom stuff. At least you'll have the luxury of a cabin and a few other ammenities.
    Good luck, Mike

A friend of mine used to have a 22-ft. C-Dory. Great boat and very economical to run. But if the water is rough you will get beat up pretty bad unless you slow way down because there is no deadrise at the stern (I think that's correct). We had it in some pretty rough water and it performed well. My only concern was that the C-Dorys of that size and smaller do not have scuppers for the deck and rely solely on the bilge pumps. I think that if you are sensible about it and pick your days that it would be a good boat for PWS. I would urge you to also ask your questions at www.c-brats.com. All about C-Dorys by C-Dory owners and you should get lots of very good opinions on that size boat.

Here is a youtube of a 16' C-Dory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRhyGPJ-vg8

In all honesty it is a great boat. Enjoy it.

Sobie2

I've always liked the C-Dorys and the one time I've been on one (22' I think), it was impressive in terms of fuel economy and just the way it seemed to handle. If there was one thing it was slightly less than desirable in, it was kind of rockin' and rollin' at anchor. But that probably would be any boat on that particular day, and I think they are around 8' wide. It will be a great boat and experience for you.

Pm sent....

-Akiceman25

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Highestview-
    I had a 16' C-Dory for several years, and took the boat many places including Whittier, Seward, Valdez and Homer. The other people posting on this thread are all correct, weather is the most important factor in not just a 16', but ANY boat. I would commonly take my 16 outside of Ressurection with no problems provided the weather allowed for it. I did get caught a couple times outside when the weather whipped up in a hurry, but the C-Dory was always a solid vessel to be in. So much, I just bought my second C-Dory, this time a 22. They are VERY sea worthy boats, but don't leave caution to the wind. WATCH AND LISTEN TO THE WEATHER! Your grandfather's boat is a very nice looking boat. I suggest you keep it in the family and learn to enjoy what your grandfather enjoyed. I doubt you'll be dissapointed. Best wishes!

I second what akfshklr says, a long time ago I had one, very good small boat, handled the rough water just fine, enjoyed it. On good days and only if you watch the weather and are ready to sit and wait would I go over to Knight. But down into Kings Bay would be way more protected. I have a 22' Explorer Bayliner in super shape and very seldom find a need to go more that 40 miles out of Whittier.
    Looks like a fine set up with the Honda, mine had a 35 Johnson.

PM if you want some good spots to hit

I took my 16' C-Dory out to Latouche. It's a great little boat. Be safe. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

dont pass up a great opportunity. it will be fine on nice days, which is what you want anyway in the ocean.