Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhino, Ranger, or Prowler which one is better ??

Default Rhino, Ranger, or Prowler which one is better ??

Any imput would great. ie problems, what you would change, or why you believe it the best machine..

The Ranger is the clear winner for me but that is 99.9% because it is the only one that I fit comfortably in at 6'5" tall.

Ranger = most utilitarian
    Rhino= sportiest
    Prowler= somewhere between the two

The best one is whichever fits your needs best. For me, I need to fit two adults and a child so I chose the Ranger.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we have two prowlers in our camp, two more in the camp next to use and 3 rangers in the next. the ranger 6x seem to have a little more flotation and weight cap. but the 4x's all seem about par. i tend to have to work on one or all of the machines each year... but we are FAR FAR FAR from gentle on any of them... i also have wheelers in camp that i tend to get deep and dirty with more so then the prowlers or other side by sides... they CAN get to there with me... bu i am normally in the lead with a line to help them or a chain saw to open the way. it is not the power issue on any of them... just the size over all..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I looked at all three before I purchased a ranger 4x4. I kept the brands out of the desicion and looked at the machine itself to see what would fit my needs. The Rino is a nice machine but only had two seats and not alot of payload. The ground clearence is also less than the other machines. When I looked at the prowler it was on the showroom floor and alot of parts were robbed off of it and I walked out knowing I didn't want to go down that road. The Ranger had the most payload and towing ability, higher ground clearence and seating for three with the option to put a aftermarket seat in the back. I feel I made the right choice for my needs. I have never had a major break down and I run this machine pretty hard. If you go with the ranger I do advise a 2" lift and 27" tires of your choice, makes all the difference in the world of what this machine can do. If your just wanting a machine to play, I would look at the RZR or Rino. If you want a mud eatin work or hunt rig then the Ranger is a clear choice... Good luck

I had a 660 Rhino and if I had to do it again I would probably have gotten a Ranger.

I'd say to check out the new Commander from Can Am. There's only one that's not presold at Team CC in Wasilla so they're very popular. The Ranger's the worker of the group. I imagine that for utility the Ranger's going to be hard to beat. For all other aspects, the Commander is an amazing vehicle.

As far as "which is better?", you first need to define exactly what you want to do with it.

Also, are you just looking at stock, or do you plan to make some aftermarket modifications (larger tires, lift kits, etc.)? Probably the Rhino and Rzr have the largest selection of aftermarket options--I don't see very much for the Prowler.

The Commander is the newest design, and have some very attractive features. However, being new, it will take a while for the dealers to have enough in stock that you're not paying a premium, and for the aftermarket to start building accessories for it.

I had a Rhino. That thing needs a bigger motor, more ground clearance especially up front. And Im not sure how the efi sounds but the carb 660 was loud as heck in the cab.

As far as aftermarket performance things, Id stay clear. They are problematic at best. I know the rhinos dont handle lifts very well. The axles pop out. I put a clutch kit in. All that did was eat the belt housing and ruin a belt.

I like the RZR cause of its size, power and the ground clearance. A trailer would be neccasary for hunting though.

A problem of the RZR is you WILL get wetter. You sit lower due to the seating configuration. So if you are planning alot of water crossing that comes with hunting you might want to avoid the RZR or wear chest waders, which isn't a bad idea no matter what your riding

Here is a list of specs for the ranger, RZR, Rino and Prowler:

Ranger 4x4 700 payload 1500# Towing 1750# 800 is 2000# Box is 1000# Fuel 9gal

Ranger 6x6 700 payload 1750 800 2000# Towing 1750 800 2000# Fuel 9gal
    Not sure on box capacity

RZR 4x4 800 payload 740# towing 1500# Box 300# Fuel 7.3

Rino 700 couldn't find payload box is 400# towing is 1212# 660 is 1200 towing Fuel 7.9gal

Prowler 700 couldn't find payload 1500 towing box 600# but I also seen anywhere from 325-1000# Not sure what the true number is Fuel 8.2 gal

The prowler 650 had the same towing and fuel as the 1000

After researching all these I feel IMO that the Ranger and Prowler are the closest in comparison for utility and the Rino and RZR are closest for sport.
    So it's up to you to decide what you want to do with yours before you can decide what to buy. If it were my choice it would be eother the Ranger or RZR. I would keep it 4x4 if I want utility because you can still play where the 6x6 is stricly a work machine.

Now that I did all your work for ya, you better go out this week and buy one!!! Good luck and if you buy a Rino or Prowler I will pull you out of the mud when I see ya!!!

I have a Ranger and a RZR S. If you choose the rzr, you will want to snorkle it ASAP. If you cross any moving water that is thigh deep you will ingest water into everything. I learned this from experiance. If I take the rzr out I know I'm going to get muddy, but I can run the ranger all day in the same conditions and hardely get a drop of mud on me. The rzr is more for play and fun. For serious work (moose hunting) the Ranger is what you need. You can haul all yours and your buddies gear in and still fill the bed with an entire moose for 1 trip out with everything. No trailer needed! If trail size matters, let me ensure you that I have not found a trail yet that I could not get my ranger through (I havn't been on the Ferry Trail). IMO the Ranger is the best side x side machine on the market for a hunter. Look at the payload stats for all of the machines, the Ranger out works, out hauls and out performs everyone of the competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    As far as "which is better?", you first need to define exactly what you want to do with it.

Also, are you just looking at stock, or do you plan to make some aftermarket modifications (larger tires, lift kits, etc.)? Probably the Rhino and Rzr have the largest selection of aftermarket options--I don't see very much for the Prowler.

The Commander is the newest design, and have some very attractive features. However, being new, it will take a while for the dealers to have enough in stock that you're not paying a premium, and for the aftermarket to start building accessories for it.
    I'd agree with the first point. The Commander's are always going to be MSRP, always. Even the 2010 Can Am Outlanders are going at only a slight discount to make room for the 2011s. But what's a couple of grand to ride what you want instead of maybe someday getting a better deal? Life's short and our riding season's DARNED short!

I picked up the catalogue and looked at these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vafq-rFGj2Y http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Q_Y...eature=related I'd say they have the accessories covered really well!!!!!

Hey Ranger owners; what are the things you don't like about the Ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    Hey Ranger owners; what are the things you don't like about the Ranger?
    I can't think of much that I don't like that can't be fixed with a aftermarket fix. The biggest thing I hate is the parking brake. It sucks!!! The axles used to be an issue but if you learn their down fall (don't back up with the wheel turned hard to the left or right up a hill with a load of firewood) then you won't have problems.

I have religously maintained my rig and have never had any problems. yes, im knocking on wood!!!

Nothing. I absolutely love my 2010 Ranger 6X6. I owned a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO X2 before that and loved it too. I personally have had zero problems with my Polaris wheelers. I don't overly modify my stuff from stock and I ride very cautiously. I'm also NOT anal about maintenance. I get my wheelers serviced once a year in August. I never check the diffs, never check the belt, never check the plugs, never grease anything, never check for water, nothing. I don't spray them off except in August when I'm getting ready to take it in and that is only because Big Lake Power Sports charges a bit more if they have to clean all the caked on mud. I run 'em from August to October, they sit for the winter run 'em from May to August, then get them serviced. They are well built machines and that is just my experience.

I offered this up to AlaskaSD, and will offer it to anyone else. If you want to come by my house and check out the 2010 Ranger 6X6 then pm me. Everything from the front bumper to the center tires is pretty much the same as the Ranger XP 4X4, and HD.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Nothing. I absolutely love my 2010 Ranger 6X6. I owned a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO X2 before that and loved it too. I personally have had zero problems with my Polaris wheelers. I don't overly modify my stuff from stock and I ride very cautiously. I'm also NOT anal about maintenance. I get my wheelers serviced once a year in August. I never check the diffs, never check the belt, never check the plugs, never grease anything, never check for water, nothing. I don't spray them off except in August when I'm getting ready to take it in and that is only because Big Lake Power Sports charges a bit more if they have to clean all the caked on mud. I run 'em from August to October, they sit for the winter run 'em from May to August, then get them serviced. They are well built machines and that is just my experience.

I offered this up to AlaskaSD, and will offer it to anyone else. If you want to come by my house and check out the 2010 Ranger 6X6 then pm me. Everything from the front bumper to the center tires is pretty much the same as the Ranger XP 4X4, and HD.
    Can I just stop buy and you can help me load it up on my trailer??? Had to ask... I love my 4x4 but that 6x6 is awsome!!!

Took the new Ranger out hunting this week and it worked absolutely great. I liked it before but am even more in love with it now. I did find I need to get a windshield for it now though.

Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    Took the new Ranger out hunting this week and it worked absolutely great. I liked it before but am even more in love with it now. I did find I need to get a windshield for it now though.
    I love my windshield in the winter but love my halfshield in the summer.

how are they going down hills; I know my grizzly uses engine compression to slow you down going down hills; is a Polaris like that or do you need to be on the brakes to slow yourself down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast