Thread: Saiga 308 rifles, and 12 gauge shot guns imported by Russian American Armory?

Default Saiga 308 rifles, and 12 gauge shot guns imported by Russian American Armory?

Anbody own one of these?? Of course they're ugly and akward, but the price sure isn't. You can pick up either for under 500 dollars. It appears that they come from the Izmash (spelling?) factory where the AK-47 originally came from, and the original designer (Kalashnikov). If anything, they'd sure be a type of cheap gun that you could throw in the closet, or the cabin for a reliable beater for a cheap price.

Link to the Importer:
    http://www.raacfirearms.com/

Link to a released youtube video from the Izmash folks regarding their Saiga Design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zV1Y-ijiU

One of the 12guages is on my list for the inevitable end of days zombie fest that is bound to happen at some point. There are several companies on the web that specialize in tricking them out too. You can really dress them up nice if your of a mind to.

I'm not familiar with the .308, but I have an S12 and all I can say is get it. Very reliable, and shoots anything up to 3". I have the short barrel model S109. The only problem I had was with my 1st gen 10 rnd AGP mags...nothin a little dry lube didn't fix. The .308 has gotten some great reviews from combat arms magazine.

Hers a good site for more info on both... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?&CODE=00

I've got both the 308 and the 12 Ga. Both have never jammed on me. Like you said, they're not traditional but as tools go they are a lot of bangs for the bucks. If you're interested, PM me and I'll take them to Bunny Creek to let you try them out. They eat a lot of ammo too because they're so much fun, so you need to BYO.

I have the 12ga. Love it. Never has jammed and I have tried, very fun to shoot.

I shot a buddies Saiga 12ga recently and want one now. His had like a plastic 5-round magazine that had seen better days.

Love my SAIGA 12-- HELL on wood ducks in the cyprus trees --Had the trigger assembly moved forward so she felt like my other AK and added TROMIX break and TAPCO trigger and adjustable stock-- FUN gun, my BENELI buddies just scratch their heads!!
    I say take that ride!!
    Goo

What's not to like about a 308 or 12Ga semi auto with AK reliability for less than $500 or 223/7.62 x 39 for $350.

http://www.classicarms.us/

And for about $100 you can put AK stock etc on and have a 308 AK with folding stock.

Just scour the internet and try and find some bad comments, there are almost none. The only that I have seen are in reference to long range accuracy. If you want to hit anything past 200yds it ain't for you, but generally up to 200yds you should hit what you are aiming at (rifle that is, not the shotty).

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    What's not to like about a 308 or 12Ga semi auto with AK reliability for less than $500 or 223/7.62 x 39 for $350.

http://www.classicarms.us/

And for about $100 you can put AK stock etc on and have a 308 AK with folding stock.

Just scour the internet and try and find some bad comments, there are almost none. The only that I have seen are in reference to long range accuracy. If you want to hit anything past 200yds it ain't for you, but generally up to 200yds you should hit what you are aiming at (rifle that is, not the shotty).
    Actually my 308 has been fairly accurate. Definitely not match winning but with good ammo it will do an honest 1.5" at 100 yds. I think most AK's are not very accurate but I've been lucky. The two that I've owned are more accurate than my Mini-14.

If you get either, convert it. That is, move the entire FCG to its intended location behind the magwell. It improves the balance of the firearm. I picked up another one in x39 and I shot it once before converting it because the trigger felt nasty and the balance seemed off.

The 308's apparently take more work than the other Saiga rifles and shotguns to convert, but it is doable.

Check out Saiga-12.com if you get into them. It has all the info you could ever want on both their shotguns and rifles.

Plus it takes out the ugly factor: S12 x39

ZAXON - Your 12 looks as a clone of mine, except for the mag. well?? whats the deal on that??

The deal on being a clone of yours: you have excellent taste.

The deal on the magwell: I love it, mag lock-ups are easier and I made them so when you hit the release they drop free. I'd wait and see about the new chaos (I think?) metal mags as they should be a tighter system with their magwell.

ZAXON- where did you get it? I also had some HK sights put on mine that really made a word of difference!! Am getting my barrel shortened to compensate for the extra length the TROMIX brake added.
    Goo

I got the magwell from Jack Travers, it's from his original run. They now sell them at carolinashooterssupply.com and they come in two varieties: one for AGP and another for Surefire mags. I think the AGP magwell can take surefires but not the other way.

Like others, I love my Saiga. Same nomenclature you rattled off up top but its a 7.62x39. Fun to shoot accurate and affordable. I've got designs on a .308 too! Based on my experience with my 7.62 I wouldn't hesitate to try a .308/12 gauge/.410 or .223.

Like Zaxon said, check out Saiga12.com, great site.

Tim

I have three Saigas in 12GA, one in 223 and one 308 lots of bang for your money, if you want a 308 in an AK platform thatís the way to go the surefire 308 mags are great, the first thing I did to my 12 GA was enlarge the gas ports this makes it cycle faster and enables you to shot the real cheap game loads If you are thinking about a 12GA go for it youíll never want to shot another shot gun ever I have been spoiled forever.
    Ted Kennedyís car has killed more people than my gun!