Thread: Mystery Ranch CrewCab

Default Mystery Ranch CrewCab

So I just picked up a new CC from Mystery Ranch. I love it, however they provide VERY little documentation or instructions on how to use it. As packs go, it's pretty complex. They claim it can use a camelback reservoir, but I don't see where it would go. They have a few videos online, but nothing about the camelback.

I'm just a little baffled at how a company with such raving reviews and such a quality product would provide so little in the area of instructions.

I have been considering this pack and have also been frustrated trying to figure out exactly how all it can be set up. The pics on the site are lacking. As for the watter bladder I believe it hangs inside the zipper pocket flat against the frame. I am considering buying one and getting an MLD Prophet pack to use together. For heavy packs in I would put the prophet inside the crew cab like a liner instead of using a dry bag. Then when I get the main camp set up I would use the Prophet to spike out of with a tarp.

That's Lujon - I'll check out that zippered pocket area. Great design...I think, if I can be ejumakated on how to use it.

MR has put together a few videos here http://vimeo.com/mysteryranch/videos

There is a hanger in the zipper pocket for hanging your camelback. I keep my camelback and emergency supplies in that compartment. As for the rest, there are so many options, there is no way to explain it all. You can make it big or you can make it small. I will say this, the pack is great. It feels like it is part of your body. I wore it last week on a successful eight hour goat hunt. I did the same hunt two years ago and I felt dragged down by a cabela's pack. This year I felt really good even when I made it back to my truck (with one third of the meat and the hide in my CC).
    I do recommend getting a Kifaru gun bearer to go along with your CC.

I've had my CC for a few hunts now and I never feel like I truley understand the whole system. I does do a great job with 40-85 pound loads. I would love to have a better understanding of the strapping and what the thought process was with some of the potential configurations. I'm certainly going to check out those video's.

Since there are NO cleaning instructions anywhere on their site or with the pack, after a recent hunt the CC was soaked with blood, fat, and mud, I took it upon myself to wash it up. Didn't turn out so well.

I first got the worst out hand scrubbing with joy soap and light pine sole in a tub outside. This got the majority of the surface clean but it still smelled pretty nasty.

So, I threw it in the washing machine with some other heavy clothes (carhartts, etc) on delicate cycle with some oxyclean, vinegar, and soda. This was apparently the dumb move.

This generated about a half dozen holes in my CC pack from rub spots. I plan to contact MR to see how they can fix it, but I'm sort of expecting to pay for something. The smell is greatly reduced now, however vestiges of rancid blood still linger.

I'm a little frustrated as I figured the CC nylon would hold up a washing machine's delicate cycle. And if it wouldn't I wish they would have instructed me on cleaning! And if a delicate wash cycle rubs holes, what happens with rifles, horns, etc rubbing a for 5+ mile hike!

This isn't meant to bash MR at all. I love the product, I just need to know how to use it!!

Ive had my Crew Cab for 3 hunting seasons now. Great pack. It can be configured many ways depending what you are packing. At first all the straps was alittle confusing but you'll get a hang of it what goes where and when. Just keep playing around with it expirimenting and you'll find what works for you. I use mine for day trips and for backpack hunts up to a week and never has failed me yet. Mystery Ranch office in Bozemen MT, if your ever going through. Stop in and the staff there is more than happy to walk you through how its used and various configurations. The ones I dealt with are not only packpackers but hunters as well, atleast the ones Ive talked to where very helpful when I had questions about the pack. If you buy it at the store they will "fit" the pack to you as well. Ive hauled lots of meat and hauls the weight great. One thing I do to prevent blood soaking my pack, carrying acouple of heavy duty garbage bags with you, line your pack with that and you wont have to worry about soaking your pack with blood when hauling game out.

There is no set way to strap anything to a crewcab. It's a what fits you and fits your load best kind of thing. That is half the beauty of the crew cab; its inherent versatility. Start using your pack and everything is fairly self explanatory. Put your water wherever you want, put this there, and that there. Side pockets in, or side pockets out. What's your flavor?

This isn't rocket science.

And the blood thing... MR has a phone number and they LOVE talking to customers. Call them.. "whats the best way to get blood off my pack?" .. and guess what.. they will tell you!!!! Novel idea.

Heck, I will show you where all the straps and everything go if you are really that confused about it.

i have a NICE 6500. they suggest using a power washer. i took the bag off the NICE frame, put it in the tub and ran the shower over it for some time, then soaked it in the tub, and reapeated a couple of times. no soap used. they don't recommend soap. worked pretty well to get goat blood and such out of there. still some dirty (with dirt not blood) on the outside. may try a power washer.

where do you strap a rifle with the crewcab, just off to the side?

i am a bit surprised that a delicate cycle in the washing machine would do that. i abused my pack on this goat hunt i just went on and it has no holes in it.

ICB I agree the crewcab is pretty darn versatile. Can strap just about anything to it. The MR NICE frames in general can be a bit confusing at first glance with all the clips and straps. In fact I helped my bro install his 6500 pack to his frame last night. All makes sense after you see it all in place and will likely not have to help him again.

I just couldn't get the crewcab or loadslip setup to haul the weight as comfortably as the 6500 pack on the NICE frame. The loadlifters and what not were just too short compared to the NICE 6500 pack for it to take the weight off my shoulders and onto my waist. That is how it works for me. Glad you are able to get the crew cab to work for ya though, pack fit is a very personal thing. What works for one doesn't for the other.

Dana should really work up a video like the one that Dan McHale sends out with his packs. It goes through all the setup pretty well. Setting up the PG Bayonets the first time would be challenging without the tutorial. Honestly I think MR loses sales because people can't tell if the pack will do what they want based on the available information on the web.

LuJon,

Dana per your request went to work today and told his worker bees to make up some videos pronto on how his packs work.

Hope this helps:

http://vimeo.com/channels/mrbh

Ive strapped the rifle to the side of the Crew Cab and worked. How I carry my tripod for the spotting scope didnt work well with the rifle though. However, Im not a fan of strapping my rifle to the pack due to the fear of falling on my pack/scope.. I did rig up using a piece of strapping wire and electrial tape a small hook on the strap of the backpack, prevents the sling from slipping off your shoulder straps. Always annoying when stopping to glass quick and the rifle slipping off your shoulder.