Thread: Nothing like a new pup

Default Nothing like a new pup

to cloud one's judgment. Winchester, my 4 month old English Setter with his first bird. Normally don't take birds until Spetember but just couldn't help seeing how he would respond. Seems like he is going to be just fine. Trip to the interior first week of September should be great.

winchester with first bird 8-15-10.jpg

Awesome!! Darn good looking pup too!

What kennel is he out of? Good looking pup! He looks like a Llewellin Setter, is that correct? I have an 5 month old Ryman Setter. We have great bird hunting up here for sure!

Thanks guys, he is a Havelock setter out of New England, North Dakota. They do not describe their setters as such but his bloodline is all hunters and he definitly has the look of a Llewellin. Of course he is a bit young but he is pointing and definitly knows what we are doing. I expect this dog is going to teach me a lot about bird hunting.

Congrats on a pup that seems to be a natural bird dog! I have been wanting one myself, and I have a new pup that I picked up to ease the blow of the loss of our old dog for the kids. She doesn't have any "bird dog" in her genes, but I'm going to try to train her and see if it takes.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I've heard of Havelock. They are "field" setters. Looks like a great dog. Where are you planning on hunting when you head this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I've heard of Havelock. They are "field" setters. Looks like a great dog. Where are you planning on hunting when you head this way?
    Well we are just going to go into Delta and try to make some connections for sharptails first and then head back south toward the Denali Highway for ptarmigan. Have never hunted birds up there so figure this will bea learning experinece and will hope for the best.

I've hunted Delta, but don't have any real connections there. I wanna try to get down there more this year, and see what I can get into (live only 68 miles from there). I do know a guy down there, who I'm gonna talk to. It seems like a promising conection. Denali Highway is pretty good for ptarmies thats for sure. I'm in Salcha. I have some pretty good spots for ruffies, and spruce right out my front door. Hit me up before you come up,and maybe we can take the pups out for some ruffies/spruce. I may be at moose camp by then, but who knows!

I will do that, plan on heading up the 4th of September, thanks

Hoyt, where is your Ryman from? I have a 7-year-old Ryman from Crooked Stump (now Ruffwood) Kennel in WV (Preston Miller is the breeder). I am from Vermont where Rymans are common, but I have only seen one other Ryman since I moved to Alaska a year ago and the owner did not hunt him. I am in Anchorage -- if you ever get down this way, let me know -- it would be fun to see a brace of Rymans hunting ptarmies in the tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by SetterMan View Post
    Hoyt, where is your Ryman from? I have a 7-year-old Ryman from Crooked Stump (now Ruffwood) Kennel in WV (Preston Miller is the breeder). I am from Vermont where Rymans are common, but I have only seen one other Ryman since I moved to Alaska a year ago and the owner did not hunt him. I am in Anchorage -- if you ever get down this way, let me know -- it would be fun to see a brace of Rymans hunting ptarmies in the tundra.
    That sounds like a blast, I will take you up on that some day! Paxson is from Beirl's setters out of Wisconsin. He is a Ryman/Old Hemlock setter. He has been such a good dog up to this point. Very intelligent, and trainable. I'm going to be sending him to Willow Creek Kennels in Minnesota for three months starting in January. He has learned a ton even in my bumbling hands, so I can't wait for him to be worked with by Jodi and Chad! Do you have a picture of your dog? I'd love to see it!