Thread: remington X-mark pro trigger

Default remington X-mark pro trigger

i bought a remington model 700 alaskan ti (titanium reciever/ fluted bolt) in 30-06 that has proved to be a dissapointment to me. it sounded so good....24" med contour fluted barrel, light titanium action, the new "improved X-mark trigger AND a lightweight pillar bedded bell & carlson high grade stock. this lightweight number weighs only about 6 1/4 pounds ( trailside w/scope, sling and loaded about 7 1/2#) and carries a price tag to prove it. this rifle retails for about $2200.00, which is right up there with some handbuild custom rifles.

out of the box the stock has a tacky rubbery feel. not unpleasant. sort of like an expensive hogue stock. this rifle is a natural pointer, and using talley ringmounts puts my low power scope right in front of my eye. great!

the trigger broke heavy, and over 4#, which to my way of thinking is about 2# too much. it is adjustable for weight of pull only. not sear engagement. not overtravel. hmmmm.

after following my normal barrel break-in proceedure the groups were uninspiring. dang trigger. adjusting it made it inconsistant (worse) and stack from 3 1/2# to 4 1/4#. not happy with this, but took it along anyway on an elk hunt. after taking an elk (great) i put it in the safe, and went back to my m70's, tuned 700's and kimbers.

revisiting this trigger now before hunting season i concluded it was not now nor ever will be to my liking and so bought a high quality timney trigger. prepping the rifle for installation the safety on the Xmark wouldn't switch. oh,oh. as an alternate i tried to use another remington 700 trigger but the Xmark safety wouldn't work on that either.

calling the nice folks at remington they refered me to their local warranty station, who after some conversation agreed with me that the Xmark safety wouldn't switch, and the trigger wouldn't tune. further they didn't have a remington safety to sell me to use with my excellent timney. what to do.

i called timney of course, and they offered to swap my new timney w/o safety for a new one w/ safety. problem solved. THANK YOU TIMNEY!

i will continue this rant after the new TIMNEY TRIGGER arrives. this will be great (again).
    happy trails.
    jh

I have 2 remington 700's with the x mark trigger and I promptly took them out and replaced them with timneys. The "new" triggers are garbage and I knew that before I bought them but I knew I was going to swap them anyways so it wasn't a huge deal for me but I agree on the model you are speaking of they should defiantly come with something nicer with the price tag they carry.

If you know what you are doing, you can bring the x mark trigger down to 2#.

The Alaskan Ti is one of the stranger Rem offerings. The 1st gen Ti is a winner though. I never understood taking a 4oz lighter action than a SS action and fitting it with a heavier barrel, and slapping the name "Alaskan" on it.

I let the guys at Alaska Custom Firearms work on my trigger. They did a great job, had it done early AND called me to let me know it was finished.

The Remington Ti action is an odd bird. The short action length version of the Ti is stiff enough to be accurate. A friend of mine found that the long action version was not very accurate no matter what he tried including a light aftermarket trigger.

Matt M

I bought my wife one in 270WSM, trigger not to my liking, replaced it with a Timney. Not very accurate, had it bedded, not much better. Would not feed or eject properly, had a Sako extractor installed. Still did not feed right, had the barrel replaced with a Douglas Premium re-chambered to 300WSM. Now it shoots and feeds right.

Factory ammo, have to work up some loads this winter.

Good Luck with yours.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post

The Remington Ti action is an odd bird. The short action length version of the Ti is stiff enough to be accurate. A friend of mine found that the long action version was not very accurate no matter what he tried including a light aftermarket trigger.
    I've found Remington Ti rifles to be very accurate in both long and short actions.