Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Alaska range sheep hunt

Default First Alaska range sheep hunt

Last edited by Brian M; 10-04-2010 at 17:05.

Keep the story coming.....you got me interested now

I've been wanting to try out a pair of CLOGS in the mountains. How did they work for you?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Got the spotter out again and finally saw our first full curl.He was with two 3/4 curls and about twenty ewes and lambs.

We set up the tent for the night and ready to climb the next morning.
    We started to climb in the morning and man Don't you guys hate alders?I would rather go ten miles in willows than 1000ft in the alders.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-04-2010 at 17:06.

The next two days we were fogged in.You could not see more than 30ft.Finally on the morning of the 9th it was clear enough to move on.We reached our spike camp at 4050ft at about 2:00pm.

Opening morning was quite a scare.John woke me saying there was a bear in camp.I jacked a shell in and bursted out the tent to give it some.John was a bit girly and didn't pop out.I hit the ground laughing cause his bear in camp was a little caribou!!!He was asking me what was so funny,and I told him to bring my camera out and see his bear.

Opening morning after john changed his shorts,We headed up and over the end of the valley we were camped in.As soon as I crested the hill I spied some sheep on the other side.We hit the dirt and spotted them and the were all rams four being legal.we planed our stalk and got 800yrds to there beds.I figured they would feed in the only green chute near it was three hundred yards from our position.
    After staring at them for hours we ro-sham-bowed for the biggie.I won and man He was a dandie.His curl dropped well below his jaw and flared well over a curl,he was over 40" I think.Was the biggest ram I've seen out in the hills.John picked the double broomer with huge bases.Sure as I guessed they came one by one down to the chute.The double broomer was only 200yrds and john,to my dissbelife held his itchy trigger finger till finally my ram,the biggie got t 400yrds.I've taken that shot many of times and would have again if i had the chance,but I did'nt want to blow this one.I said he will get closer.In the mean time his ram was at 150yrds a give me shot and what a hunting partner he held back and waited.I think if my ram would have been that close I would have sealed the deal!!Finally my ram was at 350yrds.I put the saftey off and asked john if he was ready.All of the sudden they all jumped the chute and were out of range in a blink of an eye.

rams in there beds

John yelled wolf!!I was angry and was gona take care of the problem decpite scarring the rams.I would rather save a few of them then harvest one.I got the spotter on them and seen two full grown coyotes running up there trail.I shared the view with him and he said they were yotes.They went as far as they could to chase them in to no mans land and there they stayed for five more days.
    I spent the next week staring at them afar.It was a hour or so from camp but rain and fog I couldn't help but study them.There was two barely full curls one double broomer and one monster of a ram with dark horns.After the fourth day John was tired of watching them feed and bed in a 50yrd circle,so when we woke the fith day it was really foggy,you could not see more than 50yrds in all directions.John decided to rest his feet a day and off I went following the gps.I got over the crest and had fog so thick I was thinking of going back to camp.
    I just had a feeling to go to were we were the opening day.I could see about 125yrds in a circle and pushed on to were they were beded.I noticed alot of sheep tracks that stomped the shale every were.It looked fresh and I could smell sheep I knew it was fresh sign.
    I started moving up when out of know were a sheep came into view.I knew with the thick fog it was close never ranged it,but I jacked a shell quitely droped my browning BAR clip and loaded a fourth shell in the gun droped the pack and set up for a view.

I first saw about four ewes and a few lambs go over the chute I was in.I almost thought about geting up and moving when all the sudden I seen the back end of a sheep and seen the tell tail sign of his junk.I knew it was a ram.He finally turned to look at what that funny thing was so close to him and looked at me head on.I was determind he was one of the sub legal rams around then he skylighted on the rock broadside.He looked up and down then around at the present danger and I knew he was legal.
    I don't know how many of you ever shot a new browning BAR but the have a second saftey.If you don't throw the switch and quitely put the bullet in,you have to push it up again past the red dot.I had this problem with my spring blackie two seasons ago.I thought I was ready with a broad side shot at under 150yrds.Gently pulled the trigger with a click!!!
    I still didn't realize what was going on till I ejected my still good round and felt it go all the way in ready for action.What a dummie.By time I got the problem solved I found the ram gone!!All the sudden I seen the biggie run out of my dreams forever.All the sudden a ram poped up.Once again in a hurry studyed the ram,I knew he was the first one I had seen with his blonde horns.The rest of them were darker in color.I aimed in the broiler and boom!He went down below the rocks.I knew I had hit hime but he ridged lined again.Boom!He crumpled again and fell at least a thousand feet down the chute.Oh know I thought as he was tumbling at me.I was really thinking of trying to grab him up but him being 200#lbs and me being 155# I decided to let him go.
    I finaly quit celebrating my kill and went down the chute amazed to find him not that bad in shape.Last year my ram took less of a fall and was in worse shape.He was a small ram but was a hard earned.ned trophy.

Here's one with the warrior wepon.

When I finally got the cape off I found my two hits.The first double lunged him and the seconed spinded him.Man those 180 grain tsx really do some damage,If I wasen't by myself in a hurry to do the chores by myself i would have shared more pics.
    I got him dressed and loaded my jim shockey bag and off I went.After last years stumble I really took my time back to camp.Just as I dropped over the valley were we were camped in john was ther looking for me.I was out of water and he was a god send.He talked me into spliting the wieght of my load and began to unload when I noticed I had broke the metal fram on the bag.No wonder it was killing me.
    We finally got to camp and fell fast asleep.The next day we went to the bowl and no sheep insight.After ten days in the rain john decided to come back later in the year to hope the snow will push them out.We packed camp and headed out.
    Thats when I noticed my wedding ring was gone!!I had remebered admireing it at the glassing area last.So I headed back while john waited and was sick to my stomach I could not find it.
    Right about the first hundred feet of tree line john found a hornets nest.I ran as fast as I could under my load and avoided them but john wasn't so lucky.tThey stung him pretty good.We finally found the wheeler after a few arguements about the gps was wrong.We ro-sham-bowed for the back seat in the box and I lost this time,Man that was a rough ride out.

Is he sealed yet? What are the official length and age? Congrats on a great hunt!!

ot I forgot to add this pick in the story,A poor lamb leg.Who knows if it was a eagle,wolf or a manjy yote but a loss none the less.

Got him sealed the 18th He was 36 7/8 on the stong side and 35 3/4 on the weak.Both bases were 12.5 and he was 8 years old.Not my biggest ram but the first from a new range.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I've been wanting to try out a pair of CLOGS in the mountains. How did they work for you?
    we had them packed for the brooks but brought them any way,made great light wieght camp shoes.

And my personal highlight of the story,When I got home and unloaded my bag of everything. I took it over to the hose to wash out.I took on last look in every pocket and in the bottom of my bag was my ring!!! I jumped for joy and then jazz asked why I was acting like a fool and told her the story,she then cracked a smile.What a lucky dog!!

Awesome, I had hime pegged at 8 looking at the pics. Good deal on finding the ring as well! I have 2 rings as the wife is not a fan of me wondering around without one on. For deployments and hunting I wear a $10 gold band that if I lost wouldn't matter at all. For home I have a much nicer one. I think it has been about 2 years since I wore the nice one as I am always deployed and the rare occasions when I am not I am probably out hunting. For the wife she just wan't to know that I am displaying something that shows she has staked her claim.

LuJon,that's funny cause that is what she said,I'm buying you a double.The only way I think it got there is that my knuckle is at least twice as big as were the ring sets from one to many hand injurys,and must have sliped off digging in the bag.I thought he was nine and so did a few other pepole but eight is what they said.

Nice story Kotton - congrats on the ram - hard work paid off! Now for packing all your new friends moosies out!
    I seldom wear my wedding band when on a hunt - or especially fishing - as I am afraid when I stick my hands in the cold water it will slip off. I also have a bro in law that just about ripped his ring finger off when he jumped off a semi trailer and it hung up on a bolt.
    Congrats
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Alright, good to see some pics from your hunt! Great pics too! Looks like quite the time, congrats man on a great sheep!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast